In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me the Manager/Head Coach is but one issue amongst several that need to be addressed regarding how the club is run.

The likes of Nagelsmann, Ten Hag, Potter and all these modern coaches are mostly working at clubs that let them get on with their coaching work and have structures and other people in place to help run the club and work to a strategy. Install any of them to our rather meandering and stale set up, with little help, and I don't have great hopes.

Levy has had a vision of how to grow the club off the pitch, and initially helped the team take considerable steps forward with the buy young talent who will grow with the team, and can usually be sold at profit in any scenario, but I don't see an idea or vision at the moment which is reflecting on some of the decisions made in recent times. There's a vacuum of ideas and people, we have Levy, Mourinho, who else? Steve Hitchen was an apparently fairly competent career scout, but as a DOF? Hardly comes across as a force of personality buzzing with ideas and a clear direction to what he's doing, does he...

On the footballing side we need a clear consistent vision of what we're doing, and under what parameters, maybe a bit of ambition and radicalism, and proper leadership.

No more going from high press, front foot, possession Poch who likes young malleable players, to low block, low risk, counter attack Jose who needs ready made disciplined seasoned pro's.

No more players signing who are ill suited to how we want to play. No more seemingly random signings because they share the managers agent. No more scattergun approach that means we're overstocked in some areas, whilst painfully thin in others. No signing players for big money, and not even knowing what position we want to play them in.

Personally I think we need a DOF/Sporting Director first and foremost to run and oversee the whole of the footballing side.

We need a proper scouting and transfer network/policy with clear vision of who and what we want.

I'd like to see us make a change in our Academy now (did we ever replace McDermott?), because the last few years seems to be repeat problems of a logjam, players getting stuck in limbo, and rarely producing the type of player the first team wants.

And when all that is in place, appoint the coach you want, based on the criteria we're looking, and hopefully he and the team has a chance of doing something.

Where are swansea currently? Seems many managers are struggling with that.

Ten Haag. I like the pedigree, and he plays good football. I just think if you put him in a side like Brighton, then you will also be seeing a side struggle to make that football successful.

He doesn't get more positive results out of players? I may have been on SC at the time Bissouma rumors were around. Most on the board said no. Now everyone would take him. Moder...new Polish international that just scored against England. Lamptey....everyone wants him after they saw him in a system (chelsea reject). Adam Webster has become a really solid CB. My favorite player though that he has worked with? Solly March. Yes, he isn't Andrew Robertson, but he is a threat and pest.
Hughton's last 2 finishes with Brighton were 15th and 17th, Potters Brighton finished 15th last season and are currently 15th, not much improvement results wise.

Rodgers has taken Leicester from 12th to 5th last season and currently 3rd this season, playing attractive football. That's not taking into account his work at Swansea ,Celtic and Liverpool.

Don't really understand how Potter could be preferred to him

Many were content if not happy with Mourinho and I suspect a fair few were not best pleased when we got Pochettino.

There are very few managers who guarantee success and we need look no further than Ancelotti at Everton, who has hardly pulled up any trees.

No guarantees but hopefully Levy can minimise the chances of failure by backing whoever comes in..

They are in play offs. They finished midtable under Potter.
So they are. Hats off to Steve Cooper for bringing them from 65 points (Potter's return) to 70 (2019-20) to the current 75 they sit on.

By that logic, I am off the Potter wagon and want Steve Cooper. I kid...

I did some reading and it sounds like Swansea have recently changed ownership and have been working to build solidarity and a vision under a new chairman Julian Winter. Here are some enlightening quotes from Cooper.

“There’s no doubt there’s some good work done last year with Graham Potter. And our idea was to to keep that going with a young team and try and improve it and evolve it and maybe adapt it a little bit and, keep trying to progress."

“Behind the scenes a lot of the club is new. We have relatively new owners. We have a new chairman. I’m new from the summer with my coaching team and backroom staff. We completely changed the recruitment department, the medical department, etc, etc. So so behind the familiar sight that you see of Swansea playing at the Liberty Stadium, there’s a lot of lot of areas of the football club that is in its infancy".

Make of it as you will. I am not slating Potter for finishing 10th after losing Fabianski (unrated PL keeper IMO), Mawson (a starting CB for them), Ayew (went on loan probably because of wages), Fernandez (another starting CB) and some other key players.

Relegation is hard for a lot of clubs and a lot don't automatically make it back. Apparently, you have a "28% chance" to make it back the next year following relegation. source

So they are. Hats off to Steve Cooper for bringing them from 65 points (Potter's return) to 70 (2019-20) to the current 75 they sit on.
Just like you’re not convinced with Ten Hag I am not convinced with Potter. I like him but I think he should be the third or fourth on the list of managers we should try to get.

Hughton's last 2 finishes with Brighton were 15th and 17th, Potters Brighton finished 15th last season and are currently 15th, not much improvement results wise.

Rodgers has taken Leicester from 12th to 5th last season and currently 3rd this season, playing attractive football. That's not taking into account his work at Swansea ,Celtic and Liverpool.

Don't really understand how Potter could be preferred to him

First off you are comparing LC to Brighton. The wage bill and the squad are night and day. We all applaud LC for their recruitment. It has to be one of the best in the league. I don't see the comparison.

I don't dislike Rodgers style of play and he does have a good track record. I just don't like him. Any man that has portraits of himself on his wall is a no from me in terms of leadership.

Just like you’re not convinced with Ten Hag I am not convinced with Potter. I like him but I think he should be the third or fourth on the list of managers we should try to get.

I like Ten Hag, but I do think the test of the Eredivisie can't be compared to the PL. His success in the CL was impressive and they are in the EL run this year. It's a fun squad with a lot of quality that will continue to be a pipeline for European clubs. Hats off to him.

I like Ten Hag, but I do think the test of the Eredivisie can't be compared to the PL. His success in the CL was impressive and they are in the EL run this year. It's a fun squad with a lot of quality that will continue to be a pipeline for European clubs. Hats off to him.
Yeah Eredivisie success should be taken with a pinch of salt. Still, Ajax haven’t won the league for a few years before his appointment.

Anyway like you said the European competitions are a better indicator and Ajax have done well. Also don’t forget they’ve sold three of their best players and they still have managed to make EL QFs and who knows, maybe they’ll beat Roma tonight.

Yeah Eredivisie success should be taken with a pinch of salt. Still, Ajax haven’t won the league for a few years before his appointment.

Anyway like you said the European competitions are a better indicator and Ajax have done well. Also don’t forget they’ve sold three of their best players and they still have managed to make EL QFs and who knows, maybe they’ll beat Roma tonight.
Hope they do.

First off you are comparing LC to Brighton. The wage bill and the squad are night and day. We all applaud LC for their recruitment. It has to be one of the best in the league. I don't see the comparison.

I don't dislike Rodgers style of play and he does have a good track record. I just don't like him. Any man that has portraits of himself on his wall is a no from me in terms of leadership.
I'm comparing the improvements both have made on their sides, I'm not saying Brighton should be competing with Leicester.

If we didn't have Kane and Son we would currently be battling Brighton for 15th. People need to get that trough their head.
Compare our squad player to player with Wolves and be afraid. We're barely stronger in a single position without these two.

But that's the case with everyone outside the top 3 squads in the PL right now. Meh squads defined by their star players.

Compare our squad player to player with Wolves and be afraid. We're barely stronger in a single position without these two.

But that's the case with everyone outside the top 3 squads in the PL right now. Meh squads defined by their star players.

I don't agree with this. I believe the potential of this squad is much bigger than what we currently are seeing. Remember most fans wanted to flog the squad when Sherwood was here (incl. Vertoghen).

I don't agree with this. I believe the potential of this squad is much bigger than what we currently are seeing. Remember most fans wanted to flog the squad when Sherwood was here (incl. Vertoghen).
I agree. I don't think we've even scratched the surface yet of the potential of some players. I reckon at least a couple of Rodon, Requilion, Lo Celso, Ndombele & Bergwijn will end up being excellent for us over the coming years. They've all been suffocated by general lack of fitness and negative tactics. No question we need another 4 or so first team ready players though.

This is so wrong, most teams throughout the league are coached and set up in a way that makes them greater as a collective than they are individually, we're one of the few teams where this is not the case and so lesser teams are able to outperform us/lesser players appear better than ours

So Tony Bloom(Brighton Chairman) has a vision, take on a club that nearly fell out of the league altogether. Brings in Mr Poyet who gets them playing some decent football at an athletics stadium and promotion into the Championship. Gus did a good job but couldn't get Brighton to the next level. Bloom took a gamble on Oscar Garcia which nearly paid off and one on Sami Hypia that didn't! In comes Hughton...will go down as one of Our best ever managers alongside Mullery. Hughton could only take Brighton so far and then Bloom did his homework and they have Potter. Bloom had the foresight to employ Paul Barber and prize Dan Ashworth away from England. It was Barber who orchestrated the move for Potter. By now you can guess I'm a Brighton fan... We maybe in the same place that we were last season and the seasons under CH in the prem but imo we won't be there for long if we keep hold of Potter and his team. Ive never seen Brighton play this way and I've watched them for 54 years and believe me its well worth the entrance fee. We may not end up world beaters but at least we had a chairman that took a gamble. Over to you Levy...you did it once with Poch...why not again with Potter.? You may have to fork out some serious compo though.
Just as a side note, thanks for making Mullery, Barber, Poyet and Hughton the people they are, we couldn't of done it without them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom