In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd prefer us to get in a manager who has a track record of successfully implementing his methods and style at multiple clubs.

Names like Sarri, Ten Haag, even Nagelsmann concern me to an extent because their successes seem to have largely been with one club. In these cases you're left with the question of whether the success was down to the manager himself or the perfect storm of club infrastructure, players, circumstance and the manager all perfectly aligning.

Now on the face of it, you might look at the proven track record at multiple clubs and point to Mourinho and how that has turned out, but I'm not specifically referring to silverware. Using Potter as an example, he had his success on a small scale in Sweden, has moved to Brighton and seemingly successfully transferred his methods over smoothly.

I don't know much about Sarri, and I'm too lazy to Google, but it's a red flag to me that his main success was his spell at Napoli, and he has then been bombed out of 2 clubs after 1 season despite winning silverware.

TLDR, I would like Potter, see if he can continue his upward trajectory.
Nagelsmann has successfully implemented his methods at two clubs, Hoffenheim and Leipzig

I don't think it matters too much if the younger newer generation of managers have only been successful at one or two clubs. You also have to take into account the length of time spent at those clubs because if they have 3 or4 years at those clubs and have dealt with player turnover like Ten Hag has but still maintained a level of success then that is a good sign too

Nagelsmann has successfully implemented his methods at two clubs, Hoffenheim and Leipzig
He's implemented his methods at one club. Hoffenheim. And Hoffenheim was where he developed his methods.

At Leipzig they still play RB-ball. Maybe with a few minor tweaks. But RB is set up so that all of their clubs at their core play the same system and utilize similar tactics. To make it easier to move players between the clubs and speed up integration when a player makes the move from say Salzburg to Leipzig.

He's implemented his methods at one club. Hoffenheim. And Hoffenheim was where he developed his methods.

At Leipzig they still play RB-ball. Maybe with a few minor tweaks. But RB is set up so that all of their clubs at their core play the same system and utilize similar tactics. To make it easier to move players between the clubs and speed up integration when a player makes the move from say Salzburg to Leipzig.

That’s why I would get the man who set this all up - Ralf Rangnick. If Eintracht haven’t signed him up already.

That’s why I would get the man who set this all up - Ralf Rangnick. If Eintracht haven’t signed him up already.
Ragnick would be perfect.

There are rumours of him wanting to prepare for retirement so I can see the logic in him going for a final job in Germany. But if we could get him we absolutely should. Give him two years to revamp the team and recruitment department and he can more or less recruit his replacements for when he retires.

Yeah that’s out the window. Potter would honestly be my next choice, I don’t care if it’s not glamorous.

Especially if we lose Kane.
Well a lot of people are saying that if potter had a striker brighton would be well up the table. Surely us losing best striker in premier league would leave potter in same boat. Nice football no striker to finish

Well a lot of people are saying that if potter had a striker brighton would be well up the table. Surely us losing best striker in premier league would leave potter in same boat. Nice football no striker to finish

if we sell Kane and don’t buy a striker who is premier league capable that is on the chairman and would leave any manager we appoint in the shit.

Bosz was bad at Dortmund but did decent at Leverkusen. I also think that Ten Hag is a better manager than Bosz, but the idea was that we’re linked with all sorts of managers who aren’t that good so why not Ten Hag? Can’t be worse than Wolves manager.

Also every managerial appointment comes with a risk of not working out, but if we’re not willing to take risks, we’ll be left behind.
I want Potter after Nagelsmann. Doesn’t get more risky than that (on paper anyway)

Anyone know anything bout galtier from lille. Seems to be going well after a long spell with st etienne
Took Lille from almost relegated to second place within a year. Plays a intense straight forward game. When they lose the ball their strikers are quick to press early and their midfielders and defenders set up in a mid-high block just below the mdiway line of the pitch. Rapid attacking play.

Maybe not tikki takka football. But good direct attacking play.

There are rumours linking him to Lyon as well.

Took Lille from almost relegated to second place within a year. Plays a intense straight forward game. When they lose the ball their strikers are quick to press early and their midfielders and defenders set up in a mid-high block just below the mdiway line of the pitch. Rapid attacking play.

Maybe not tikki takka football. But good direct attacking play.

There are rumours linking him to Lyon as well.
Lille recruitment has been top notch so thats probably helped him a lot too

I cant believe more people don't want ten Hag. He'd be a perfect fit for us. If Flick takes the national team job, Nagelsmann is certain to takes his place at Bayern. And if Flick stays, I have to think that Naglesmann would be the replacement when Flick leaves and then we'd be back to square one.

I don’t get this obsession with Potter here, Brighton are where they always are, around the bottom 3 and he couldn’t get newly relegated Swansea promoted .
Yes they play football the right way, but he doesn’t get more positive results out of players . I don’t see how anyone can have him above Rodgers or Ten Hag, who are proven to play attractive football whilst also improving results on the pitch.

Where are swansea currently? Seems many managers are struggling with that.

Ten Haag. I like the pedigree, and he plays good football. I just think if you put him in a side like Brighton, then you will also be seeing a side struggle to make that football successful.

He doesn't get more positive results out of players? I may have been on SC at the time Bissouma rumors were around. Most on the board said no. Now everyone would take him. Moder...new Polish international that just scored against England. Lamptey....everyone wants him after they saw him in a system (chelsea reject). Adam Webster has become a really solid CB. My favorite player though that he has worked with? Solly March. Yes, he isn't Andrew Robertson, but he is a threat and pest.

Back
Top Bottom