Should we organise a protest/march outside the Tottenham Stadium against the ESL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know I am a bit thick but why is there such a furore over this ?

So EUFA don't control it !
We get regular top class football.
We get more money than other teams.
Would the premier league sell without the 6 ?

I am fed up with football authorities selling our world cup to Qatar in January !
Sky wouldn't want it ?

Please don't disagree with an x , I am looking for sensible answers.
EUFA can still run their leagues and more lower clubs will get to be in them.

Last edited:
Fan run is definitely the way forwards, the German model is what you want to strive for.

I feel if the clubs had been run by fans we never would have arrived at a position where players were earning the frankly sick money they are on now, we would have never allowed ticket prices to spiral or traditional competitions like the FA cup to get stomped underfoot and disrespected, would never have allowed the death of the traditional Saturday afternoon fixture to appease the TV men.

The issue is you can't just strip the owners of control, that would be equally immoral and I don't think there is any kind of legal mechanism for that - even with government backing.

We need to hit them in the wallets and force them out that way before regaining control.

I'd advise anyone who stills buys merchandise from the club to boycott and also boycott any of the clubs sponsors, if you have the energy even write to those sponsors and explain why you are boycotting their brand.

That's the only way to force these cunts out
Are Bundesliga players not paid ridiculous salaries?

How many league titles in a row is that for Bayern now?

under what legal mechanism? they don't have the power to just remove control from a private company.

I agree about us being legacy fans and the other markets are far bigger, but don't think we have much else we can do, other than boycott matches when we are allowed to return to stadiums.

Government have the power to do lots of things.

They can place punitive taxation on the clubs playing outside the pyramid making it financially unviable.
They can make Super League football a protected industry, meaning no foreign investment meaning the clubs would be given a period they would have to sell. (and that includes Spurs as we are Bahamas owned) or be forced to relocate abroad.
They could deem the ESL due to no promotion/relegation a cartel, and therefore illegal.

Players have a lot of power also.

Clubs are breaching the players contracts they have filed, which states about the duties of clubs which this breaks, they could almost certainly walk for nothing if they desired.

Actually breaking news on Sky, Johnson has just met Manchester United Supporters Trust, and has told them he will drop a "legislative bomb" on the idea

Last edited:
Government have the power to do lots of things.

They can place punitive taxation on the clubs playing outside the pyramid making it financially unviable.
They can make Super League football a protected industry, meaning no foreign investment meaning the clubs would be given a period they would have to sell. (and that includes Spurs as we are Bahamas owned) or be forced to relocate abroad.
They could deem the ESL due to no promotion/relegation a cartel, and therefore illegal.

Players have a lot of power also.

Clubs are breaching the players contracts they have filed, which states about the duties of clubs which this breaks, they could almost certainly walk for nothing if they desired.

Actually breaking news on Sky, Johnson has just met Manchester United Supporters Trust, and has told them he will drop a "legislative bomb" on the idea
Now this has made me angry !

The Government certainly has power, but intervention upon commercial business is not within their remit and they have no say over 14 other clubs who will be in the ESL so imagine if they prevented this, all they are doing is finishing off U.K. football as an elite competition.

But it’s all bullshit from them anyway. Easy to meet the Man U supporters trust, why is he not meeting the Man U board and giving it billy big bollocks ?

anyway is his government not more interested in PPE contracts for their mates, testing kit contracts for the Chinese and flattening the economy for everyone else.

Is this the same Boris Johnson who gave some blonde he was knobbing tax payer money but sits in moral judgement about lobbying ?

The same Boris Johnson who said he would eat an ID card and then wanted to bring in Vaccination passports ?

The same Boris Johnson who did nothing to stop City and never objected to Chelsea’s antics

the same bloke who was happy to use behavioural science on the whole population of the U.K. ?

Yeah. I’d trust him to save the day.

he is a massive gobshite who has no place in any of this and is only involved because some focus group or 20 something special adviser thinks it’s a vote winner.

arsehole

Last edited:
Never have I even thought to try and organise a mass protest against my own club but this is a time when fans have to come together and do something to save the game we love. The game has been slipping away from fans for decades now - ever since clubs went PLC and the inception of the premier league, the soul of the game has slowly been removed. Year by year us fans have been made more and more irrelevant but we have continuously put up with it due to blind love for our club and a desire to be up there with the so called 'big boys'. Well it's that complacency that has allowed for this corporate monster that is now football, to decimate the english game with this bullshit ESL which attacks the purity of football and competition at it's core. Enough is enough - We, the people, need to take our game back and make a last stand before it's too late. I'm not being melodramatic here when I say this literally is our last chance.

So, I say we should organise a large scale protest outside the tottenham stadium - and I think protests outside the stadium of every one of the 'big six' clubs should be organized at the same time. We all need to unite together and do this as one. Football means too much to all of us and we can't let it die. COYS
Wow thats a bold statement.

Clearly most people seem to think playing Marine in the FA cup and some back water team without a pitch in war torn Ukraine is the 'proper' football we cant afford to lose.

Give it a chance. Let's see the proposal before judging it.

UEFA AND FIFA - they are the ones threatening to throw the teams out of Leagues and International.

Having all the biggest and best teams play in one league will create excellent match ups and could remove the dominance from 3 or 4 clubs.

They seem to also suggest more money will go to grass roots football.

It's easy to be sceptical - but remember who has fucked up the current system - UEFA and FIFA

No. We’re in the middle of a pandemic in case you hadn’t noticed and the last thing we need are more street protests. The sight of those Leeds fans last night made me realise how stupid football fans are.

Is this really important enough to risk lives over? Vote with your feet if you don’t like it, but no protests please.
Doesn't need to be too risky. Outdoors, masks, try and stay apart from people. Not a big risk of transmission. Being outdoors is key.

Any links to that mate ?

Not doubting you, but am interested in seeing it

Solidarity and sustainability: including “affordable ticket prices” and “reinvestment into the football pyramid via ongoing and substantial solidarity payments”. The document adds: “Super League solidarity payments will grow automatically with overall league revenues and will be more than three times higher than payments coming from the current European championship.”

Commitment to domestic leagues: “The new Super League has been designed around the principle of maintaining strong and vibrant local leagues and we will continue to compete each weekend in our national competitions as we always have.”

The Government certainly has power, but intervention upon commercial business is not within their remit and they have no say over 14 other clubs who will be in the ESL so imagine if they prevented this, all they are doing is finishing off U.K. football as an elite competition.

But it’s all bullshit from them anyway. Easy to meet the Man U supporters trust, why is he not meeting the Man U board and giving it billy big bollocks ?

anyway is his government not more interested in PPE contracts for their mates, testing kit contracts for the Chinese and flattening the economy for everyone else.

Is this the same Boris Johnson who gave some blonde he was knobbing tax payer money but sits in moral judgement about lobbying ?

The same Boris Johnson who said he would eat an ID card and then wanted to bring in Vaccination passports ?

The same Boris Johnson who did nothing to stop City and never objected to Chelsea’s antics

the same bloke who was happy to use behavioural science on the whole population of the U.K. ?

he is a massive gobshite who has no place in any of this and is only involved because some focus group or 20 something special adviser thinks it’s a vote winner.

arsehole
Bizarre that people would support such an audacious overreach of authority, gleefully supporting a government targeted destruction of a business. Over sport. To buy votes.

If people could only be moved to such furor over shit that actually matters.

But, then, sports and entertainment are the opiate of the masses - the wine and bread of the day - and the government can't have that spell broken. We might all start paying attention to what's really going on!

Solidarity and sustainability: including “affordable ticket prices” and “reinvestment into the football pyramid via ongoing and substantial solidarity payments”. The document adds: “Super League solidarity payments will grow automatically with overall league revenues and will be more than three times higher than payments coming from the current European championship.”

Commitment to domestic leagues: “The new Super League has been designed around the principle of maintaining strong and vibrant local leagues and we will continue to compete each weekend in our national competitions as we always have.”
All talk and a veil. I wonder what Levy's idea of "affordable" is.

It is nice they say will continue to compete in the national competitions. Strange they have to state that.

The more I think about it the more I think it is such an appalling idea.

Its shitty, the whole guaranteed entry. But the more you read the outline, the more its just "fuck UEFA lining their pockets with a cut of everything".

At the end of the day, the investors probably wanted guaranteed entry as much as the clubs. Anyone backing it wants to know they're selling 10 of these clubs to sponsors and tv execs every season. Not "United, Inter, and Liverpool are having a bad run and won't be competing this season...sorry guys."

Its shit. But UEFA's proposed changes to the CL and the formation of the Europa Conference? C'mon...everything was already fucked, if we're being honest.

All talk and a veil. I wonder what Levy's idea of "affordable" is.

It is nice they say will continue to compete in the national competitions. Strange they have to state that.

The more I think about it the more I think it is such an appalling idea.
Of course they will still "compete" in the domestic competition if they're allowed to stay in, but what will that competition actually look like midway into a season? Sure, every side at the start of a year will try and win as many games as they can and win the league title, that's obvious.

However, what happens in say January and February for matches between a ESL side that is say 6th and a side that is not in the ESL and is 9th in the table? What incentive is there for either side to go out and actually win the match? In today's world, both sides would still be fighting for a spot in European competition. In the ESL world, the 6th place team is guaranteed a spot and the 9th place side is guaranteed to NOT have a spot.

Even if you say all non-ESL teams can qualify for whatever the CL/EL (if they still exist) look like depending on their finish in the table, you have a situation where they could be playing key matches against ESL sides that are playing their "B" teams since they have a big ESL match the next week and they're guaranteed a spot even if they finish 15th in the table.

The reality is that the domestic leagues will become drastically less interesting throughout the course of the year with something like the Super League. This is before we even take into account the level of competition when every ESL team is being given the equivalent of today's CL winnings every single season to buy the best players from their competitors.

arsehole
Genuinely think you've painted him in way too positive a light there! 😂👍

That guys is a c**t of the highest order. If people can't see he's just playing to the crowd they're fools. Populist 101.

I'm still convinced that this is not happening.

I see the timing of the announcement as the clubs taking a stand against UEFA and their "new & improved" Champions League format where UEFA invites more teams, adds additional games, and UEFA pockets way more money off the backs of the clubs than they pay out to the clubs.

Hearing Cerefin raging on about the greed and cowardice of the 12 clubs is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.
I just watched his press conference today. He has already backtracked and almost begged the clubs to come back. I don't think UEFA or the Premier League can do much to stop it legally or ban players from competing in the Euros. FIFA president just said all FIFA can do is condemn it so I guess it has backtracked about banning players entirely.

If this is stopped, it will be by the players, fans, and/or the government. But I hope when it is stopped, because I think it will be, there is a closer look at UEFA and particularly FIFA. No more club world cups for example.

Its shitty, the whole guaranteed entry. But the more you read the outline, the more its just "fuck UEFA lining their pockets with a cut of everything".

At the end of the day, the investors probably wanted guaranteed entry as much as the clubs. Anyone backing it wants to know they're selling 10 of these clubs to sponsors and tv execs every season. Not "United, Inter, and Liverpool are having a bad run and won't be competing this season...sorry guys."

Its shit. But UEFA's proposed changes to the CL and the formation of the Europa Conference? C'mon...everything was already fucked, if we're being honest.
Wasnt Europa Conference a chance for midtable sides to have some european game and something to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom