In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's this Geezer achieved then. And are we likely to be battling the likes of Bayer Munich, Man utd, or any of the other "Super 12" for his services?

I guess if you want Spurs to be some kind of beefed up Sothampton / Brighton like training academy to feed the big boys then this could be yer man.

If you want Spurs to start finally winning stuff and attracting top players I don't quite see the lure of this Potter bloke.
Are we going to be battling any of the so called “Super 12” for Potters signature you say?

Probably not because it only appears that apart from Spurs, Bayern are the only other club in need of a new manager and Nagelsmann seems to be there for the taking and they would have to be considered favourites ahead of us to sign him.

Actually thinking Potter would make Spurs a beefed up Southampton or Brighton is exactly the way forward because if those sides had the wage and transfer budgets of Spurs with the coaches they currently have employed Hassenhuttl and Potter then they would be clubs playing in Europe year after year. They work miracles with a fraction of the budget we have

It worked out for a certain Mauricio Pochettino And Potter is exactly in the same mould

No. Certainly not if he wanted Dele to play to increase or protect his market value. Loaning him out would have probably meant he’d play more.
But if his loan was successful like Skippy’s then his value would increase?

Hopefully he’ll start on Sunday and come good at last provided Ryan hasn’t already called him a lazy little cunt in training!

I don’t know why everyone is so keen on Potter.

I do agree that he’s a good manager, plays football that is enjoyable to watch and like Poch it’s not a bad odea to go for a young manager who doesn’t necessarily have European experience, but if Ten Hag is available, surely we’ve got to go for him.

Ten Hag has achieved a lot more on the European stage and he has played attractive, winning football with Ajax where they lost key players every season.
I really wanted Ten Haag to come after Poch left i think if anything since then his stock has fallen.

What's this Geezer achieved then. And are we likely to be battling the likes of Bayer Munich, Man utd, or any of the other "Super 12" for his services?

I guess if you want Spurs to be some kind of beefed up Sothampton / Brighton like training academy to feed the big boys then this could be yer man.

If you want Spurs to start finally winning stuff and attracting top players I don't quite see the lure of this Potter bloke.

We already had Poch who came from Saints and he didn’t do to badly. This guy in Sweden took a club from the lower league into their top division and then got them in the Europa League, imagine someone doing that here with Shrewsbury, it would be a remarkable achievement and they even beat some half decent sides in the EL.

he has gotten a let’s be kind average team of players at Brighton playing some of the best football in the league with players who look very well coached, they attack as a team and defend as a team. The only reason they ain’t in the top half or top 6 is that they have some of the worst finishers I have seen in the prem. a good striker or two and they would do really well next season.

This is remarkably similar to Poch, a manager who improves individuals and teams, plays modern attacking football, does more than he should with the players he has and seems to act with class.

We may not get him but it would be foolish not to consider someone like this.

We already had Poch who came from Saints and he didn’t do to badly. This guy in Sweden took a club from the lower league into their top division and then got them in the Europa League, imagine someone doing that here with Shrewsbury, it would be a remarkable achievement and they even beat some half decent sides in the EL.

he has gotten a let’s be kind average team of players at Brighton playing some of the best football in the league with players who look very well coached, they attack as a team and defend as a team. The only reason they ain’t in the top half or top 6 is that they have some of the worst finishers I have seen in the prem. a good striker or two and they would do really well next season.

This is remarkably similar to Poch, a manager who improves individuals and teams, plays modern attacking football, does more than he should with the players he has and seems to act with class.

We may not get him but it would be foolish not to consider someone like this.
Poch finished 8th in his only full season in charge of Southampton , who had only come up after successive promotions from League one the previous season.

Potter has taken over an already established Premier League side and is doing no better than the previous manager, only difference being he plays more attractive football

I don't see the similarities to Poch, if Potter had Brighton exceeding expectations in the top half of the league I would understand why people are interested in him.

Not saying that I want Martinez, but for the sake of the argument and discussion. We do have some players that would suit his setup based on his world cup 2018 tactics.

Pierre could fill the Witsel role as the ball winning midfielder, with either Lo Celso or Ndombele in the De Bruyne role as the playmaker. Son could play either the Hazard or Mertens role in attack, with Lucas or Bergwijn filling the other role (this is working with out any presumed new players in). Kane obviously fills the central attacking role.

Arguably all of our fullbacks would suit his wingback system except for Ben, who could be moved more permanently into the role of a centreback. With Sessegnon taking the spot behind Reguilon.

The big question marks would be in the 3 at the back. We would need three defenders who are all comfortable on the ball. Toby and Rodon both tick those boxes. Sanchez doesn't have the comfortableness with the ball, but his pace could allow him to play sweeper behind Toby and Joe when they push forward. But we would still probably need to do some changes in the CB department just to freshen things up.

Again, not saying that I want Martinez, I am all in on Potter right now. But if we got him we do have some players that could easily slot into what seems to be his favoured system.

Worryingly I can see levy thinking along those lines. A cheap easy option for both getting the manager then paying for players he wants in

I am struggling to see how one of the other 14 clubs let’s us interview their manager for the job. We’ve pissed them off royally. It won’t be someone who is employed by another PL club. I just can’t see it.

I reckon Nagelsmann is a bit of a Spurs fan. His eyes were twinkling when they visited us in the CL. He was very clearly wowed by the stadium and opportunity to play against us (and promptly batter us).

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

If Nagelsmann is a Spurs fan genuinely or at least really likes us we maybe the luckiest bunch of cunts and Levy might get his get out of jail free card. Still need a DoF and a squad reshuffle but it would be a decent start.
Bayern is the big draw club, that's obvious and would be huge to turn them down.
BUT, as I've said before, the expectations there are massive, he has to win a Title and CL (all other trophies too). Basically he will have to deliver exactly the same as the guy that has requested to leave. The politics at the Club are almost at the levels of Madrid.

He's still really young and he could be better suited to playing the long game, Bayern aren't going anywhere, he can go to them probably anytime he wants and chances if he did go there it will be only for a short period (I'd guess no more than 3yrs but probably less if you take stock of the recent succession of managers, they even thought Pep was a tool and wanted him out!).

At Spurs there is none of this expectation, his remit would be:
1. Get us playing with an attacking identity again
2. Get us back into top 4
3. Get us competing for trophies regularly beyond 1/4 final's for domestic cups
4. Compete consistently in CL

If the above is achieved he'll be given an extension to contract and the expectations can rise:
1) 1/4 and above in CL
2) Challenging for PL Title

He'll have much greater control & influence in the football decisions too.

Win the league at Bayern box checked
Win the Legaue at Spurs LEGEND, in fact, win the FA Cup at Spurs and he'll be a Club Legend. Even if he fails to bring in silverware but did the same as Poch or as he's currently doing at RBL then his stock will not diminish in the eyes of the elite, Bayern would still want him, Real, Barca, probably City & PSG too.

If they are still close (I've not seen anything to suggest there was ever a falling out) then Rangnick should be our DoF, perfect fit.....

SAe7cB.gif

Back
Top Bottom