Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree with his comments.

Let me take my seat for the pile on reaction to this......

tenor.gif

For an average defensive midfielder covering at CB, you could argue he's actually been quite good. But for someone who is a full time CB, he's been underwhelming, not BAD, but not good enough for a top 4 club, or even a top 6 club.

Dier has this strange habit of standing in the right place and doing nothing. I can forgive the odd sloppy pass or over-eager challenge but it's the times when he lets balls sail over his head or roll across the face of goal, those are the moments that are really indefensible.

He's not the type of defender who really gets caught out of position or falls down constantly like Sanchez, he just seems to have some form of narcolepsy that keeps affecting him right when he's supposed to clear the ball. That first goal scored by Liverpool at WHL this season is a perfect example. He's right where he should be as the ball comes across. He's read the trajectory of the ball and he's in a position to clear. But he didn't clear. He just let Firmino score. All he had to do was kick the ball and he didn't do anything. Until he stops doing that I will never fully trust him.

Dier has this strange habit of standing in the right place and doing nothing. I can forgive the odd sloppy pass or over-eager challenge but it's the times when he lets balls sail over his head or roll across the face of goal, those are the moments that are really indefensible.

He's not the type of defender who really gets caught out of position or falls down constantly like Sanchez, he just seems to have some form of narcolepsy that keeps affecting him right when he's supposed to clear the ball. That first goal scored by Liverpool at WHL this season is a perfect example. He's right where he should be as the ball comes across. He's read the trajectory of the ball and he's in a position to clear. But he didn't clear. He just let Firmino score. All he had to do was kick the ball and he didn't do anything. Until he stops doing that I will never fully trust him.
He's technically safer than Sanchez in that generally if he kicks a ball it will go in the direction he wants whereas it's a complete lottery with Sanchez. He also has a better passing range.

Don't think he will ever be a top class centre back because of those lapses you mention. He's not the sharpest tool in the box.

What does Southgate see in Dier ?
Who else? England hardly blessed at CB. Bunch of 6/10 players with potential to be great....but never come close. Dier, Maguire, Stones.....all seem to miss that ruthless, relentless edge you want in that position. They have all the ingredients, just can't consistently deliver at a high level

Eric is excellent. One of the best CBs in the EPL.
He and Toby are our best CBs and why JM played Sanchez is a nonsense that will only ever be explained if Jose writes a book.

Comments from Dier are a bit much. He has put in some absolutely awful and unprofessional performances this season.

He's had many false dawns before, even earlier this season but he always returns to shit form eventually.

Pair him with another - younger / more skilful - CB and he’ll be fine. He’s a bit like an inflexible girder which is why he gets caught out - he needs someone like peak Jan next to him and he’ll be super-duper (or, at least, safe).

Back
Top Bottom