If Kane goes to City is he still a Tottenham Legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Kane a Spurs legend even if he leaves?

• Legend

• Not a Legend

Results are only viewable after voting.
Legend - 100%

How is this even an argument? Only reason why he’s leaving is because of ENIC’s criminal mismanagement of the club from top to bottom

Hes been an exceptional player for us and has given us most of his peak years. But wouldnt call him club legend. If he leaves and then one day when he comes back and ends his career with us, then maybe he will be.

The term 'legend' is often over used and applied loosely.
According to the club, we have 11 legends - which I will break in to 3 sections;

Legends:
Nicholson: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 1x UEFA Cup / 3x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 2x First Division / 1x Second Division
Perryman: 2x UEFA Cup / 2x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 866 games (655 league)
Greaves: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 2x FA Cup / 266 goals (220 league)
-------------------------------------
Club Icons:
Gascoigne: 1x FA Cup
Lineker: 1x FA Cup
Keane: 1x League Cup
Ginola: 1x League Cup
Berbatov: 1x League Cup
King: 1x League Cup
Cult Heroes:
van der Vaart: 2x good seasons
Tull: Played 10 games. 3rd mixed heritage player in the English top flight. Died during the Great War.

For me we have 1 true club legend in Bill Nicholson. I don't expect anyone to get remotely close to him during my lifetime. But Greaves & Perryman not only set club goal + appearance records, but also won multiple honours with us and rightly deserve the title of 'club legends'.
----
Then we have 6 players that won a single trophy with us in a modern era of football. I would regard these as 'club icons' rather than legends.
---
Then we have a couple of 'cult heroes' who are there for their own reasons which is another debate really.

Where does Harry Kane fit in here?
Cult Hero as it stands currently. Makes the websites list of legends AFTER he retires, but he's clearly not a true legend like Nicholson, Perryman or Greaves for me.
That’s a good list - VdV really managed to connect with the fans like no other player recently

Last edited:
In fear of being accused of being a Kane 'fan boy'. I think for sure he is a club legend. He is the second highest spurs goalscorer of all time. He has carried this team and given us the opportunity to compete in champions league for many years.

I think it would be harsh to not consider him a legend due to a lack of trophies. We all know that if he had his way, he'd have the chairman spend the money needed to surround him with the quality needed to win top honours at spurs. Unfortunately recruitment has been poor and the stars haven't aligned for Harry. His career is finite, unlike this club.

Legends win things for their team. Legends carry entire teams to victory. Legends don't hand in transfer requests to improve their winning chances. Legends force clubs to make drastic changes.

He is world class, but not a legend......... yet
Gerrard handed in a transfer request at Liverpool but is still a legend for them?

1. Yes, look at his goalscoring record. Of course he would be a club legend
2. Him being a club legend doesn't mean we would have to wish him well or 'hope he does well' at City. Until he retires, if he joins another club, he's dead to me.

I'm more likely to think of him as a club legend after he retires tbh. If he goes, I hope he does fuck all for City (or whoever he joins). I couldn't care less if he wins trophies at another club - not my concern.

What we should be focusing on is the Levy/Enic shitshow.

LEVY OUT!

Legend - 100%

How is this even an argument? Only reason why he’s leaving is because of ENIC’s criminal mismanagement of the club from top to bottom

This 100% he's stayed longer then anyone who didn't love the club would have and he's not left yet anyway

Hopefully it doesn't get nasty if he leaves but whatever happens still a club legend

Love him he's Spurs, but if he plays and scores against us then he's just another that jumped ship. Didn't see him do the business in those two finals unfortunately. But hopefully sticks around.

Might think differently in 5 years time after digesting what goes down.

Depends how he leaves. If he acts a dick and tries to get the club to sell him cheap to City and behaves badly his reputation will still be as an amazing player but not a legend.

If he leaves but shows respect to the club and fans then he will keep his status I feel. A new contract with a buyout clause for next year I feel would be the best thing he could do for reputation. He would still have 4-5 years peak left, leave the following season guaranteed and be loved by the club and fans.
I really don’t know if any of our players can leave respectfully.

I wish this was possible for Kane but if he really wants to leave, Levy will make it as acrimonious as possible by playing his usual transfer policy of brinksmanship.

And if Kane’s departure turns ugly, I won’t hold that against him because it won’t be entirely his fault with Levy involved.

Kane is or will become an absolute legend.

he has been the best British player for the last 5 years - name someone better? He stuck with us when he could have gone and played anywhere in the world because he believed in us. He has achieved so much as a person even if the team fell short.

Lineker? Klinsmann? Ginola? VdV? They just passed through our club. Kane is our club.

I wish him well with the move. I don’t grudge him leaving. Unless he goes to Chelski.

Nobody world class/very good will be a legend under the loyalty criteria as they all have to leave to fulfill their urge for glory.
The cunt Levy/ENIC destroy any hope .

Once you all get over the girlfriend who broke your heart, you’ll realize you’ll never find one like her again.

If Kane’s not a legend, we’ll never have another legend again in this day and age.

No, very simple. Fcuking nonsense. A very good servant.

Legend do me a fcuking favour.

Break all records,stick with us through thick and now thin, go on to win trophies with us then yes.

Honestly it is no surprise we win so little with such rubbish.

Go to another club and maybe score a 100 goals and yet call him a Spurs legend - you got to be joking.

Last edited:
There's a thread on a Man City forum
'Do you want City to sign Kane?'

996 Votes.
55% Yes
45% No

:moursad:

The term 'legend' is often over used and applied loosely.
According to the club, we have 11 legends - which I will break in to 3 sections;

Legends:
Nicholson: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 1x UEFA Cup / 3x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 2x First Division / 1x Second Division
Perryman: 2x UEFA Cup / 2x FA Cup / 2x League Cup / 866 games (655 league)
Greaves: 1x Cup Winners Cup / 2x FA Cup / 266 goals (220 league)
Club Icons:
Gascoigne: 1x FA Cup
Lineker: 1x FA Cup
Keane: 1x League Cup
Ginola: 1x League Cup
Berbatov: 1x League Cup
King: 1x League Cup
Cult Heroes:
van der Vaart: 2x good seasons
Tull: Played 10 games. 3rd mixed heritage player in the English top flight. Died during the Great War.

For me we have 1 true club legend in Bill Nicholson. I don't expect anyone to get remotely close to him during my lifetime. But Greaves & Perryman not only set club goal + appearance records, but also won multiple honours with us and rightly deserve the title of 'club legends'.
----
Then we have 6 players that won a single trophy with us in a modern era of football. I would regard these as 'club icons' rather than legends.
---
Then we have a couple of 'cult heroes' who are there for their own reasons which is another debate really.

Where does Harry Kane fit in here?
Cult Hero as it stands currently. Makes the websites list of legends AFTER he retires, but he's clearly not a true legend like Nicholson, Perryman or Greaves for me.
Gary Mabbut ?

Gary Mabbut ?

Yes from me, but I'm going by the clubs own list there;

I would have Anderton in there over Berbatov & Keane at least.

Back
Top Bottom