If Kane goes to City is he still a Tottenham Legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Kane a Spurs legend even if he leaves?

• Legend

• Not a Legend

Results are only viewable after voting.
So many bitter and angry fans on here that think Harry Kane’s decisions should be based on their lives.
Just based on their morality: we / they love the club and have been loyal to it through a lot of thin and not much thick (oo-er) - we / they pay money to see and support players and then have one say we’re not good enough for them? If that’s what he thinks, then he’s no longer of relevance to me. Playing for City has no merit apart from walking trophies and a big fat contract: if it’s purely about the trophies, then do it for free (but he won’t, because it isn’t). A hard won battle is worth far more than an easy win: that’s why the first title meant so much to Shitty, why this coming CL final means so much to Guardiola etcetera.
If he leaves, his choice, but if he does, then he’s just another employee who’s left and why would anyone give a shit?

Just based on their morality: we / they love the club and have been loyal to it through a lot of thin and not much thick (oo-er) - we / they pay money to see and support players and then have one say we’re not good enough for them? If that’s what he thinks, then he’s no longer of relevance to me. Playing for City has no merit apart from walking trophies and a big fat contract: if it’s purely about the trophies, then do it for free (but he won’t, because it isn’t). A hard won battle is worth far more than an easy win: that’s why the first title meant so much to Shitty, why this coming CL final means so much to Guardiola etcetera.
If he leaves, his choice, but if he does, then he’s just another employee who’s left and why would anyone give a shit?
Your avatar is Chris Waddle, the guy left to earn some nice low tax dough in Marseille.
(loved Chris Waddle)

How was that any different?

I get that people are upset right now, but Harry is doing what any one of us would do in his shoes, and it isn't about money its about retiring from the game with some trophies so that he will go down as one of the greats rather than having to listen to what might have been for the rest of his life like Le Tissier.

Your avatar is Chris Waddle, the guy left to earn some nice low tax dough in Marseille.
(loved Chris Waddle)

I get that people are upset right now, but Harry is doing what any one of us would do in his shoes, and it isn't about money its about retiring from the game with some trophies so that he will go down as one of the greats rather than having to listen to what might have been for the rest of his life like Le Tissier.
Got no issue with people leaving to earn more money - just be honest about it and don’t expect sympathy: these guys get paid insane amounts of money to run around and kick a ball.

(In a slightly hypocritical defence of Mighty Chrissy W, he was playing pre-stupid money, Spurs - I believe - needed the money so sold him for a record fee to pay some bills; he also had the decency to come back to the UK and play an absolute blinder for Sheffield Wednesday, thereby proving it was about the delights of playing football and not being able to believe you’d get paid for it...slightly different to the professionals today).

(loved Chris Waddle)

The allegations against Bernard Tapie at Marseilles were more low level white collar crime.

Abu Dhabi has an appalling record of human rights abuse and is a particularly cruel and malevolent dictatorship.

His motivation is 100% sporting merit.
He wants to win trophies.

Is all the money in football at clubs like City, Chelsea etc good for the game? No, I'm against it. But that's a totally different argument.

Any top sportsman or competitor in life is going to want to go where they can compete for the big trophies with the best players.

I don't understand how you can expect him to stay with a club that finished below West fucking Ham and will be mocked next season playing in the Europa conference, we can't even qualify for Europa these days let alone the CL and you expect him to stay? why?
I didn’t say I expect him to stay at a club that finished below West Ham. The question asked is “if he goes to City is he still a Tottenham Legend” my answer is no.

He will put his own self interest ahead of the club. That’s the club he claims to support. The club that invested in him for 20 years. The club which has spent more on his wages this week than most people earn in years. Moving anywhere should not guarantee anything, so moving to win trophies is a debatable point. Would he move to City and play for free ? No chance.

If I am not miscounting. Spurs are in 4 competitions next season. He could win 3 of those, so it’s not a case of trophies. It’s a case of two particular trophies. One of which he has been in the final for (and came up short) and the other of which he has come up short previously too.

He will go to city and likely win stuff. But so what? In my view - and it’s only my view - moving there means he swaps his legend status for medals. If he is happy with that trade off so be it, but I don’t think it’s anything to be proud of. City want Kane now because their greatest ever striker has left. I am surprised it has not occurred to Kane that City never wanted him before because maybe they felt they had better, who knows.

In regards to him leaving at all, my preference would be to see him move somewhere overseas so we, the fans who view him as one of our own, would not be placed in a likely position of having him play against us. That’s a horrible prospect.

all this written of course, even if he stays one day the club itself won’t want him. That’s football.

Last edited:
His motivation is 100% sporting merit.
He wants to win trophies

Is all the money in football at clubs like City, Chelsea etc good for the game? No, I'm against it. But that's a totally different argument.

Any top sportsman or competitor in life is going to want to go where they can compete for the big trophies with the best players.

I don't understand how you can expect him to stay with a club that finished below West fucking Ham and will be mocked next season playing in the Europa conference, we can't even qualify for Europa these days let alone the CL and you expect him to stay? why?
Or at least be competing for them... were too hit and miss that we compete and go deep into cl

I am so happy that a player rose through the youth ranks, proved everyone wrong and so far has won multiple golden boots. One season wonder my ass. Congratulations Harry Kane! Now I just hope he breaks the all time record for goals for both Spurs and the PL. legend for me.

Hold the fuck on is Berbatov a Tottenham Legend is Keane a Legend is defoe a legend because if I recall all of those moved to different clubs and the latter two came back

Back
Top Bottom