Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A problem with these debates is that 'greatest' is subjective. Each of us value different things. So we'll never all agree.

Personally, I never thought I'd see another player with the skill on the ball and dribbling ability of Maradona. The ability to produce moments of magic beyond other players. But I think Messi actually shades it in pure technical ability. Messi has produced even more moments of incredible skill than Maradona over his career. His highlights reel, his goals and assists are all even better.

And yet, Maradona was an inspirational force, a huge presence at the heart of every match, able to lift his whole team, in a way Messi sometimes seemingly can not. Messi can seem more at the margin of games. This might be partly to do with his more introverted personality/character but I think it's also the fact that he plays naturally further forward than Maradona did. So he's literally less central to the play, and depends a bit more on his teammates to do their jobs behind him.

If I could choose one player for a one - off game, it would be Maradona. But Messi is incredible and he still has time to win with Argentina.

As ever, there has only ever been one player that was deemed the best player in the world from the age of 17-33.

Who still has a claim for it at 34.

Longevity outweighs everything imo, otherwise one could claim Ronaldinho is the GOAT, as his peak was higher than everyone in terms of outrageous ability.

The idea international football determines anything is nonsense. The Champions League is the pinnacle of football and Lionel Messi has owned it since he was 17.

He's still the best finisher in the world, he's still a top 10 passer, he's still a top 10 dribbler. Unlike Ronaldo, who has become a poacher, Messi still plays the beautiful game the beautiful way.

A problem with these debates is that 'greatest' is subjective. Each of us value different things. So we'll never all agree.

Personally, I never thought I'd see another player with the skill on the ball and dribbling ability of Maradona. The ability to produce moments of magic beyond other players. But I think Messi actually shades it in pure technical ability. Messi has produced even more moments of incredible skill than Maradona over his career. His highlights reel, his goals and assists are all even better.

And yet, Maradona was an inspirational force, a huge presence at the heart of every match, able to lift his whole team, in a way Messi sometimes seemingly can not. Messi can seem more at the margin of games. This might be partly to do with his more introverted personality/character but I think it's also the fact that he plays naturally further forward than Maradona did. So he's literally less central to the play, and depends a bit more on his teammates to do their jobs behind him.

If I could choose one player for a one - off game, it would be Maradona. But Messi is incredible and he still has time to win with Argentina.
The question of Messi vs Maradona is the question of whether you prefer fact or legend.

And on some level, the realm of "who is the greatest player ever?" is the realm of legend.

Do we even have to have a "best player ever"?

I find it increasing tedious this whole Messi V Maradona thing, and it's not like it's ever going to be agreed on anyway on some magical day when it all becomes clear.

Messi has the numbers, but Maradona has World Cup performances and the success with Napoli, that they never had before and haven't had since.

But the thing is, Maradona people only really saw the highlights, he wasn't on TV week in and week out in the way Messi has been over his career. I'm sure Maradona must have had some shit games, you just don't remember many because you probably saw him play less than a dozen 90 min games.

Messi is the best player I have ever seen, just going by my eyes. When you go by the goal and assist numbers, with the medals he is drowning in, then I don't think anybody really compares. Ronaldo has amazing goalscoring numbers, but he doesn't have the assists of Messi. Maradona doesn't have the goals or the sustained greatness over the period that Messi has had it.

They are all amazing, but for me, Messi is the number 1.

I've always had more time for Ronaldo, as good as Messi has been to watch. Early on in his United career it was clear to see he had a lot of talent, but I never thought for a single moment he would go on to become the player he is, or have the stats that he does, and I should imagine that goes for the majority of people. He clearly worked so hard to transform himself from the spotty, skinny teen who the wind blew over at times to a physical specimen. Messi was undoubtedly born with more God Given talent, but you can only respect Ronaldo's dedication to improving himself, both physically and in regards to his end product.
Just a shame the cunt is a rapist, aye.

Back
Top Bottom