The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll probably get pelted for this but fuck it.

The hypocrisy of the taking the knee is, in this case, staggering.
The FA puts out a statement saying explicitly that the taking of the knee is nothing to do with BLM but is about equality and justice for all.
They then sanction this World Cup by sending a team to a country where being homosexual is illegal and is punished with imprisonment.

Either the FA or the players should boycott it. The same goes for other countries that supported the rainbow movement/colours.

Every single one of them should be ashamed of themselves.
Taking a knee is not comparable to boycotting an entire tournament, and slated the team for something they haven't done at a tournament that is yet to occur is...odd.

You're criticising them for something that you are speculating they won't do. How do you know that they won't also make a stand against Qatar's terrible human rights policies? They've not been put in the position to do so yet, but we have seen support for the LGBTQ+ community with both the England and Germany captains wearing the rainbow armbands in the Euros. It's very possible they could ramp that up to another level for the World Cup, but we don't know as that's 16 months away.

Taking a knee is not comparable to boycotting an entire tournament, and slated the team for something they haven't done at a tournament that is yet to occur is...odd.

You're criticising them for something that you are speculating they won't do. How do you know that they won't also make a stand against Qatar's terrible human rights policies? They've not been put in the position to do so yet, but we have seen support for the LGBTQ+ community with both the England and Germany captains wearing the rainbow armbands in the Euros. It's very possible they could ramp that up to another level for the World Cup, but we don't know as that's 16 months away.
It's very, very simple.

If the players and the FA are truly united in combating injustice and intolerance in all minorities then they should boycott the World Cup.

They could of condemned it last year or last month, or even once the Euros had finished.

If they are truly for justice and inclusion for all minorities then they would boycott it.
Otherwise it means fuck all and is just words, as would taking the knee whilst participating in the tournament.

I guarantee you that the FA will send a team to the World Cup and that team will comprise of players that take the knee.

It's very, very simple.

If the players and the FA are truly united in combating injustice and intolerance in all minorities then they should boycott the World Cup.

They could of condemned it last year or last month, or even once the Euros had finished.

If they are truly for justice and inclusion for all minorities then they would boycott it.
Otherwise it means fuck all and is just words, as would taking the knee whilst participating in the tournament.

I guarantee you that the FA will send a team to the World Cup and that team will comprise of players that take the knee.
I disagree with your sentiment, but I don't have the energy to argue with you

The FA puts out a statement saying explicitly that the taking of the knee is nothing to do with BLM but is about equality and justice for all.
They then sanction this World Cup by sending a team to a country where being homosexual is illegal and is punished with imprisonment.

Either the FA or the players should boycott it. The same goes for other countries that supported the rainbow movement/colours.

Actually being gay is punishable by death!
It’s outrageous, yet it’s ok and we should turn a blind eye to it!?
if players really wanted to make a difference then they could and it starts by boycotting this tournament, which I am sure none will , yet they are happy to take a knee before every game which let’s be honest does fuck all to fight racism!

Actually being gay is punishable by death!
It’s outrageous, yet it’s ok and we should turn a blind eye to it!?
if players really wanted to make a difference then they could and it starts by boycotting this tournament, which I am sure none will , yet they are happy to take a knee before every game which let’s be honest does fuck all to fight racism!
Is Luke Shaw going to boycott his position in the squad then for this tournament? Is it any different than playing in a tournament in a country with an aparthied for example?

Is Luke Shaw going to boycott his position in the squad then for this tournament? Is it any different than playing in a tournament in a country with an aparthied for example?

The there is a fundamental difference, it’s behind closed doors. Look at the CCP getting rid of Ugihurs in concentration camps, long as the media can’t see it it didn’t happen. Out of sight out of mind.

You’re entirely correct.

People often mistake not wanting politics in football with not agreeing with the issue. I don’t think any of it should be near sports because firstly, it’s the most revoltingly immoral activity going and secondly, you become hostage to every issue imaginable.

For example, I also don’t think the poppy should be on the shirt. It’s not the correct ‘avenue’ for that sort of symbolism.

As you say, every single sponsor, commentator and player will fall in line with a *genuinely* repressive regime. Because protesting in that situation would actually be difficult. Just like the NBA and China.

For the record, this isn’t a criticism of the players. It’s not their job to act as our moral guides. It’s simply pointing out that when you do, you will have to face questions too.

The difference now is we have bought politics into football with taking the knee for BLM. I still can’t believe this World Cup is going ahead , surely there comes a time when we say enough is enough and we shouldn’t be helping to promote these regimes ? However I have no doubt that nothing will be said or done and we will all just be expected to ignore the draconian measures of the society the World Cup is helping to promote , but as long as the players take a quick knee before kick off they will sleep well at night knowing they have done their bit!

Sends a bigger anti racist message than not going at all IMO.

I think the big issue in Qatar though is we are playing in a country that uses what amounts as slave labour which is appalling. No matter what salute, knee you take your playing in stadiums that people with no rights at all built

I think the big issue in Qatar though is we are playing in a country that uses what amounts as slave labour which is appalling. No matter what salute, knee you take your playing in stadiums that people with no rights at all built
Agree.

Although, not being there, nobody (for the most part world wide) will care or even report that England are against the Qatar world cup.

Being there, taking the knee, making statements, etc will be reported world wide and makes a bigger splash, so to speak.

Sends a bigger anti racist message than not going at all IMO.
Tbh I just don’t like the fact that we are promoting a regime that thinks it’s ok to kill gay people for just being themselves , I don’t think I will watch the World Cup as it’s something I feel quite strongly about, will it make a difference , of course not but
I just can’t get behind it being held in such a barbaric place.

Tbh I just don’t like the fact that we are promoting a regime that thinks it’s ok to kill gay people for just being themselves , I don’t think I will watch the World Cup as it’s something I feel quite strongly about, will it make a difference , of course not but
I just can’t get behind it being held in such a barbaric place.
I won't be watching it.

It's very, very simple.

I can't agree this is a false equivalence. The players have repeatedly stated why they are taking the knee in support of racial equality an social justice and in direct reaction to the racial hatred that they and their team mates are encountering on social media. Within their own society.The human rights of a sovereign state is a matter for our government and for football governance. It has the feel of folk who say I'm not recycling because well China.

History teaches us that individuals confronting there own societies problems are far more effective than external pressure applied by outsiders.

I can't agree this is a false equivalence. The players have repeatedly stated why they are taking the knee in support of racial equality an social justice and in direct reaction to the racial hatred that they and their team mates are encountering on social media.The human rights of a sovereign state is a matter for our government and for football governance.
Eh?

Have you read the FA statement on taking the knee?

The one that not only does NOT mention racism explicitly but does explicitly mention discrimination, injustice and inequality.

A message from the FA to England supporters​

Tomorrow, our England senior men's team will begin their EURO 2020 campaign at our home, Wembley Stadium.
Major tournaments don't come around often and when they do, it's an opportunity to unite friends, families and the country. This collective support is what spurs our team on during challenging moments and it gives them the best chance of succeeding.
As the team has reiterated many times, they will collectively take the knee ahead of their fixtures during the tournament. They are doing this as a mechanism of peacefully protesting against discrimination, injustice, and inequality. This is personally important to the players and the values the team collectively represents.
This gesture of unity and fighting against inequality can be traced back as far as the 18th century. It is not new, and English football has made it very clear that it does not view this as being aligned to a political organisation or ideology. There can be no doubt as to why the players are taking the knee and what it represents in a footballing context.
We encourage those that oppose this action to reflect on the message you are sending to the players you are supporting.
Please respect their wishes and remember that we should all be united in the fight to tackle discrimination. Together.
They will do their best for you. Please do your best for them.

Y
Eh?

Have you read the FA statement on taking the knee?

The one that not only does NOT mention racism explicitly but does explicitly mention discrimination, injustice and inequality.

A message from the FA to England supporters​

Tomorrow, our England senior men's team will begin their EURO 2020 campaign at our home, Wembley Stadium.
Major tournaments don't come around often and when they do, it's an opportunity to unite friends, families and the country. This collective support is what spurs our team on during challenging moments and it gives them the best chance of succeeding.
As the team has reiterated many times, they will collectively take the knee ahead of their fixtures during the tournament. They are doing this as a mechanism of peacefully protesting against discrimination, injustice, and inequality. This is personally important to the players and the values the team collectively represents.
This gesture of unity and fighting against inequality can be traced back as far as the 18th century. It is not new, and English football has made it very clear that it does not view this as being aligned to a political organisation or ideology. There can be no doubt as to why the players are taking the knee and what it represents in a footballing context.
We encourage those that oppose this action to reflect on the message you are sending to the players you are supporting.
Please respect their wishes and remember that we should all be united in the fight to tackle discrimination. Together.
They will do their best for you. Please do your best for them
No I'm not referencing the football association statement by a PR but on what the individual players have said. If I kneel down I'd not want anyone but me to explain my motivations.

Jordan Henderson

“ we’re standing together against racism, there really still is a problem and we’ve still got to fight it and stand together on that,” .

Also my substantive point regards outsiders using their own culture to change other societies is more relevant. It rarely works often makes things worse and can entrench the behaviour.

Last edited:
Y

No I'm not referencing the football association statement by a PR but on what the individual players have said. If I kneel down I'd not want anyone but me to explain my motivations. Also my substantive point regards outsiders using their own culture to change other societies is more relevant. It rarely works often makes things worse and can entrench the behaviour.
The FA has issued a statement on the reasons for taking the knee but you have chosen to disregard it, which is your right.

However the FA, as a body, should boycott the World Cup if they believe in their own words.
As someone else alluded to, would the FA send a team to a country where black people were discriminated against by the laws of that country.

No they wouldn't, but because its "only" gay people being discriminated against, its OK to send a team.

As I said at the start it's hypocrisy of the highest order.

Back
Top Bottom