Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Talksport - Club statement​

Wed 04 August 2021, 14:13|Tottenham Hotspur

The Club notes TalkSport’s apology following an antisemitic incident on their The Sports Bar programme on Tuesday 3 August.
We were appalled that neither presenter addressed the comment, failing to call out the antisemitic trope. We are under no doubt that if an equivalent comment had been made regarding an individual’s race or other protected characteristic, the response would have been immediate and far-reaching.
It cannot be acceptable that antisemitism does not receive the same level of condemnation as other forms of discrimination and efforts to tackle it should be no less rigorous.

Anyone know what was said?

Nike logo

Cinch logo
HSBC logo

Hewlett Packard logo

Libertex
Kumho logo

Talksport - Club statement​

Wed 04 August 2021, 14:13|Tottenham Hotspur

The Club notes TalkSport’s apology following an antisemitic incident on their The Sports Bar programme on Tuesday 3 August.
We were appalled that neither presenter addressed the comment, failing to call out the antisemitic trope. We are under no doubt that if an equivalent comment had been made regarding an individual’s race or other protected characteristic, the response would have been immediate and far-reaching.
It cannot be acceptable that antisemitism does not receive the same level of condemnation as other forms of discrimination and efforts to tackle it should be no less rigorous.

Anyone know what was said?

I doubt the caller is actually a Spurs fan but still no excuse for the presenters not to call out and properly rebuke the comment. They should dedicate the opening of their next show to addressing it in depth and apologize for not confronting the statement after it was aired.

Seems like a massive stretch to say those guys handled it wrong and people trying to make an issue where it shouldn't exist. They hung up immediately and looked kind of shocked to be honest.

Maybe there is more to the story with Talksport or these guys having racist views or supporting racist views in the past but based on that clip they did nothing wrong and there is no reason to think it would have been different if a different word had been used.

No but their is, if he said the N word I'm sure they would have shut it down, if one word is offensive they all are

The word 'Jew' ought to be no more offensive than the word 'black' - it's the context that's offensive.
The N word is offensive on its own.

Had they used the N word I'm sure it would have been immediately acted on, as would have been the case if the caller used the Y word.

From the short clip I saw, I can't understand why the TalkSport representatives didn't immediately condemn the caller. Ultimately hateful speech is deemed more acceptable in our society when aimed towards Jewish, Asian or Ginger people - but evidently seen as a lower priority to eradicate.

I doubt the caller is actually a Spurs fan but still no excuse for the presenters not to call out and properly rebuke the comment. They should dedicate the opening of their next show to addressing it in depth and apologize for not confronting the statement after it was aired.

I wouldn’t be so sure.

Ive heard some disgusting things at the stadium directed at our players from our “fans”

Its a minority but they exist

I read that they weren’t airing with a delay . I’ve no idea if it’s true but it has been mentioned
There is a delay on the radio broadcast and this comment was cut from that. The comment went out on the live YouTube stream which has no delay. They've now suspended YT streaming, probably while their tech team figure out how to get it working with a delay.

It amazes me that they hadn't considered something like this could happen by streaming online without a dump function.

Last edited:
I wonder if the presenters are trained in what to do/say when something like this happens. They looked like they didn't know what to do or say.

Back
Top Bottom