Wolves (A) 2pm - The Nuno derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I haven't made endless posts saying how we shit we are. I have made posts about our play. Posts many others have also made. Sorry that is offends you so much but as I have said to others, and I think you as well, you don't decide who is or isn't a Spurs, especially when it comes to someone like me who you have shown to be clueless about.
Igula Igula before the season: "Lucas and Dele will add nothing this season."

*First game against City: Lucas has a worldie

*Second game against Wolves: Dele scores winner

LOL

Traore is a totally unique player who has caught the attention of analytics types for years due to being essentially off the charts in terms of successful take-ons or however such actions are described. Like, multiples of any other player in Europe off the charts at times.

When he was 21-22, the idea was that he could take this singular gift and develop a more complete game around it. Now at 25 I think it's time to make a cold-eyed assessment of what his limitations are. And if there's any chance of him growing beyond what we've seen, it's probably not under the manager with whom he became such a limited gadget player in the first place.

All of that said, I don't think I've ever seen a player with a 5-yard burst of pace with the ball at his feet like that.

Even if he doesnt get an assist. He could just murder a few people in midfield position and make a simple pass to one of our 3 attackers. I think theres untapped potential.
poet GIF

Been tried. VAR will not allow.

Another clean sheet for Dier and Sanchez. For all of the balls that were played into the box by Wolves, their strikers got on the end of none of them.

I was very surprised that Wolves didn't target Skipp and Tanganga in the 2nd half. With them both on yellow cards my instructions in the 2nd half would have been to get the ball to Traore and have him run non stop at those 2 to bait the 2nd yellow.

Watford at home next week should hopefully show us how Nuno plans to play on the front foot with more possession.

Harsh spanners very harsh

city didn’t outplay us and that was a decent away performance
Perhaps it is harsh but I can't see us winning anything playing like that. To be 100%honest, I thought tactically they tore us apart. Thank God they can't finish. However, most of our competition can finish. And it also gives Levy an excuse to not buy the players we need. "Look nuno. 6 points. I told you we didn't have to buy or sell "
I fear we are still on the same slippery slope. I see no real change anywhere.

Perhaps it is harsh but I can't see us winning anything playing like that. To be 100%honest, I thought tactically they tore us apart. Thank God they can't finish. However, most of our competition can finish. And it also gives Levy an excuse to not buy the players we need. "Look nuno. 6 points. I told you we didn't have to buy or sell "
I fear we are still on the same slippery slope. I see no real change anywhere.

Of only you knew what you were talking about .... luckily you don't.

We've already signed Gil, Gollinin and Romero - you don't half post some drivel.

We have two wins and no goals conceded.

This place is a going to be a fucking shit storm when we lose a match.

Some people seriously need to learn how to enjoy the moment.

I think it's more that we basically played like Jose did yesterday and I for one had hoped we'd seen the back of it.

I know we are deficient in areas, have the Kane issue and ultimately have an unbalanced squad with players that need to be shipped out. Which is struggling to happen.

We are well in transition and I personally do understand that and know it might take time.

It's only two games, and we are sitting pretty. It's just oh so familiar and we rode our luck; I can't stomach another season like that when the luck runs out.

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 against City, shithousing and playing on the counter, and indeed against any of the rivals if it gets us over the line. I just don't want 38 games of it. It's not the Tottenham way, and wasn't our "DNA", eh Daniel.

Let's revisit this conversation at Christmas....
Unlike us under Mourinho, we are readjusting our playing style, and overhauling the team. We would like to keep our best assets, but don't think we will and have players in key areas that we need to move on, but probably can't.
By Christmas I think we will play much better, but if there is a key positive to take away, it's that we had the same amount of goal bound opportunities as they did, so if they had all gone in, we still wouldn't have lost.
Going back to the Jol era we have been putting out teams that have been mullering opponents (and losing by the odd goal) who we run riot over - so every now and again we get one, and out come the self appointed TV pundits showing how they can strangle the joy out of any occasion by pissing on everyones chips with their oh so "on point" acerbic tactical analysis.

We can all see it wasn't a classic, so no-one needs knobs like you sucking every ounce of joy out of the occasion. Take a day off once in a while.

Just dream the season ends with all the teams in their current positions, and put a bit of joy back in your souls

In 180 minutes of Football, Lloris has had a total of what, 3 saves to make. Home against the Champions, and away against Wolves, where we don't have the greatest of track records.

But you crack on with the agenda.

Against City Sanchez totally lost Grealish. Another day that shot at Lloris hits the back of the bet. Dier also totally failed to clear and easy easy easy sideway pass but City somehow conspired to dick up the move rather than get a shot off. So both defenders made bad mistakes.

Against Wolves, that Dier one where he gave the ball away in the Wolves half (wtf was he doing there????) And Sanchez and Tanganga getting absolutely turned inside out by Traore for the best part of 60 minutes.
If Traore lost a few pounds of muscle and could play for 90 mins I'm sure he'd cause havok late on.

They didn't make the most of their chances because we defended well.
Yep, people said that in the early months last season too. But if you concede that much possession in the final third of the field, eventually on average more often than not you will get beaten. I don't deny that we defended well - my point is that if you play that way, on average no team in the world would be able to defend well enough every week to not lose lots of games. You can get away with it once, maybe a few times, but if you play that way every week you will end up out of the European places. It's not sustainable. It wasn't sustainable when we did it last year, and it isn't sustainable now.

People getting carried away with 2 x 1-0 wins, cast your mind back to August 2013, after we'd just sold Bale..

2 games won, 1-0
2nd in the league.
Went to Woolwich cocky and lost without ever troubling the keeper.

Another couple of narrow wins and we're talking about winning the league with with Beatles.

Then it all falls apart.
Twatted 3-0 at home by a shit West Ham then had our arses handed to us by both City and Liverpool (6-0 and 5-0)

We can take a lot of heart from the City game, we looked very good. But yesterday we were nothing more than lucky. Lucky they had 26 shots but missed most of them and probably 4 on target were shit and Lloris makes 1 or 2 very good saves.

I'm not normally fan of Xg but bbc had it at 1.54 to 1.45
I'd say based on chances alone, a draw was a fair result. On the balance of the game and th way they ran us off the pitch and took the ball off us at will, hmm we were lucky.

Back
Top Bottom