Wolves (A) 2pm - The Nuno derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wolves couldn't score a goal and apart from the Lloris save from Traore they didn't look like scoring either. Plenty of possession certainly but they failed the most basic task. We were not lucky, we took the chance that presented itself and defended resolutely.

Strange that some want to hand them some kind of moral victory rather than an actual victory.

Means fuck all when the scoreline says one nil.

Let's revisit this conversation at Christmas....

Unlike us under Mourinho, we are readjusting our playing style, and overhauling the team. We would like to keep our best assets, but don't think we will and have players in key areas that we need to move on, but probably can't.
By Christmas I think we will play much better, but if there is a key positive to take away, it's that we had the same amount of goal bound opportunities as they did, so if they had all gone in, we still wouldn't have lost.
Going back to the Jol era we have been putting out teams that have been mullering opponents (and losing by the odd goal) who we run riot over - so every now and again we get one, and out come the self appointed TV pundits showing how they can strangle the joy out of any occasion by pissing on everyones chips with their oh so "on point" acerbic tactical analysis.

We can all see it wasn't a classic, so no-one needs knobs like you sucking every ounce of joy out of the occasion. Take a day off once in a while.

Just dream the season ends with all the teams in their current positions, and put a bit of joy back in your souls

giphy.gif

...and a Happy New Year :)

Against City Sanchez totally lost Grealish. Another day that shot at Lloris hits the back of the bet. Dier also totally failed to clear and easy easy easy sideway pass but City somehow conspired to dick up the move rather than get a shot off. So both defenders made bad mistakes.

Against Wolves, that Dier one where he gave the ball away in the Wolves half (wtf was he doing there????) And Sanchez and Tanganga getting absolutely turned inside out by Traore for the best part of 60 minutes.
If Traore lost a few pounds of muscle and could play for 90 mins I'm sure he'd cause havok late on.
A bad mistake is a real bonehead one that is directly attributable to a goal

A mistake (more often than not "declared" by self appointed experts gifted with the vision that their superpower of hindsight blesses them with) where fuck all happens - is something that no longer has relevance, particularly in the result.

Let's revisit this conversation at Christmas....
Am more than happy to. I'm not being premature and saying we'll win the title. Am happy for a league improvement of a couple of places and for people like tanganga and Skipp to progress and for the new signings to bed in. As long as there's no more consistent Jose ball (I accept sometimes it wins games and is a necessary evil)

Yep, people said that in the early months last season too. But if you concede that much possession in the final third of the field, eventually on average more often than not you will get beaten. I don't deny that we defended well - my point is that if you play that way, on average no team in the world would be able to defend well enough every week to not lose lots of games. You can get away with it once, maybe a few times, but if you play that way every week you will end up out of the European places. It's not sustainable. It wasn't sustainable when we did it last year, and it isn't sustainable now.

I fear you are right. Whilst we can all be very happy with the two wins, 43 attempts conceded in 2 games including 25 today suggest our luck will run out soon. I can remember the euphoria on here last season when we beat City 2-0 and were top of the table. The reality was we were pummelled and were fortunate (unlike the other day against them). There were a few people on here getting abuse for exercising caution and saying that whilst we were top of the table our overall play didn’t merit that position. Unfortunately they were right. Hopefully as Nuno settles in he can decide on who his strongest 11 is and slowly adapt the way we play so we don’t see a repeat of the snore fest and ultimately the failure of last year.

I think it's more that we basically played like Jose did yesterday and I for one had hoped we'd seen the back of it.

I know we are deficient in areas, have the Kane issue and ultimately have an unbalanced squad with players that need to be shipped out. Which is struggling to happen.

We are well in transition and I personally do understand that and know it might take time.

It's only two games, and we are sitting pretty. It's just oh so familiar and we rode our luck; I can't stomach another season like that when the luck runs out.

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 against City, shithousing and playing on the counter, and indeed against any of the rivals if it gets us over the line. I just don't want 38 games of it. It's not the Tottenham way, and wasn't our "DNA", eh Daniel.

I'll give Nuno, that we can actually defend by now

:nunothumb:

I fear you are right. Whilst we can all be very happy with the two wins, 43 attempts conceded in 2 games including 25 today suggest our luck will run out soon. I can remember the euphoria on here last season when we beat City 2-0 and were top of the table. The reality was we were pummelled and were fortunate (unlike the other day against them). There were a few people on here getting abuse for exercising caution and saying that whilst we were top of the table our overall play didn’t merit that position. Unfortunately they were right. Hopefully as Nuno settles in he can decide on who his strongest 11 is and slowly adapt the way we play so we don’t see a repeat of the snore fest and ultimately the failure of last year.
Fair point

One good performance, one below par however 6 points, no goals conceded and 2 points better off then last season in these fixtures. No complaints from me at the moment but hopefully we see some improvements on the ball in the next game.

After the brilliant performance last week, this was a horrible watch. Wolves were fucking awful too considering how dominant they were. Created next to fuck all. It was funny watching Traore romping up and down the pitch and fucking almost everything up. The odd occasion he didn’t, there was another Wolves player to share the embarrassment.
But we’ve not enjoyed much joy against them so if anything it was a very gratifying win against a team who were very fired up even if they were firing blanks. I will enjoy our win today and laugh at those Black Country inbreds.
I agree with all of your post, but not with the very last bit, a tad unnecessary?

It's easy to see we've been shit for a long time when this sort of performance is deemed acceptable by many. We looked like relegation candidates, outplayed by a mid-table team. The problem is largely the same as it has been for a long time. We lose the ball after two-three passes and are almost never able to take control of a game. Midfield is OK at defending but we have nothing about us when it comes to keeping possession and creativity. When we do manage to get the ball to our attackers we look dangerous at times, but so often there's no real connection between defense and attack.

I can only comment on what I saw on MOTD, and the highlights looked as though Wolves were in the driving seat, with most of the possession and shots. However, shots on target were the same and as everybody knows, the only statistic that counts is, who scores the most. I was led to believe that Dele's penalty was a blatant dive (by a Wolves supporter!), but I saw a legitimate claim for a spot kick.
I think we need to see us as a work in progress, both for the players and the coaching team. Nuno is doing a good job with the resources at his disposal. The Harry Kane situation must be unsettling and I'll be glad when it's resolved, one way or the other.
TBH, after last week's phenomenal performance and atmosphere, I thought we would come down to earth with a bang. So, in conclusion, although there is room for improvement, great result and three away points in the bag.

People getting carried away with 2 x 1-0 wins, cast your mind back to August 2013, after we'd just sold Bale..

2 games won, 1-0
2nd in the league.
Went to Woolwich cocky and lost without ever troubling the keeper.

Another couple of narrow wins and we're talking about winning the league with with Beatles.

Then it all falls apart.
Twatted 3-0 at home by a shit West Ham then had our arses handed to us by both City and Liverpool (6-0 and 5-0)

We can take a lot of heart from the City game, we looked very good. But yesterday we were nothing more than lucky. Lucky they had 26 shots but missed most of them and probably 4 on target were shit and Lloris makes 1 or 2 very good saves.

I'm not normally fan of Xg but bbc had it at 1.54 to 1.45
I'd say based on chances alone, a draw was a fair result. On the balance of the game and th way they ran us off the pitch and took the ball off us at will, hmm we were lucky.

There’s a world of difference between beating ManC (champions) and Wolves(decent) away than Newly promoted Palace and Swansea

Be positive

It's easy to see we've been shit for a long time when this sort of performance is deemed acceptable by many. We looked like relegation candidates, outplayed by a mid-table team. The problem is largely the same as it has been for a long time. We lose the ball after two-three passes and are almost never able to take control of a game. Midfield is OK at defending but we have nothing about us when it comes to keeping possession and creativity. When we do manage to get the ball to our attackers we look dangerous at times, but so often there's no real connection between defense and attack.
Portuguese Style

Chefs Kiss Reaction GIF by Nick Jonas

Havent read through the whole thread,but did anyone else think Skipp's "foul" was a perfectly good well timed tackle?
Wolves were the better side,but think we again defended well.
And i know it wont be popular with many, but i reckon Traore good do a job for for us.He doesnt need to score,others in the side would score bundles off his runs.

Havent read through the whole thread,but did anyone else think Skipp's "foul" was a perfectly good well timed tackle?
And i know it wont be popular with many, but i reckon Traore good do a job for for us.He doesnt need to score,others in the side would score bundles off his runs.

Skipp: Yes. Agreed.
Traore: Not for me.

I did think it was a good tackle but could see why a yellow was given.

His right foot won the ball cleanly but I think his left caught the fella on the ankle.

Only saw it "live" and in a reply at the time so could be wrong

Back
Top Bottom