Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

English, 25, played over 100 EPL matches and capped by his country - we're not going to get a much better third choice DM than Winks - not everyone's favourite but tonight he showed how useful a backup player he is. Makes no sense to sell when it will cost 50m to replace a player we will hardly use.

He's not Modric .... but then who is?

English, 25, played over 100 EPL matches and capped by his country - we're not going to get a much better third choice DM than Winks - not everyone's favourite but tonight he showed how useful a backup player he is. Makes no sense to sell when it will cost 50m to replace a player we will hardly use.

50 mill to replace? they've just replaced him for under 20 with that sarr haven't they? we could probably get 20 for winks, which is madness we shouldnt turn down

The homegrown thing is fair enough, but at the end of the day you want to be able to trust a player like this to do two things:

- add stability to see out a 1-goal lead in the last 10 minutes or so

- provide a platform for a high-possession game against an inferior opponent in the cups

I trust Winks to do neither of those things on a consistent basis. He just about did the latter tonight, fair play.

alfie devine, might not be a DM but neither is winks...he just gets put there. whos the 50 million pound player you have in mind?
I don't, that's the problem, whilst I think Winks is a backup player I'm finding it very hard to find any homegrown (and that's important with fringe players and EPL rules) defensive midfield player who even comes close - Declan Rice? (who I don't rate) Tom Davies? there aren't that many options ... two of England's four DM's are currently at Spurs, it's hard to see where any improvement on Winks comes from ... Harvey White (19) one of the Craig twins (18) maybe in three or four years time ....

I don't, that's the problem, whilst I think Winks is a backup player I'm finding it very hard to find any homegrown (and that's important with fringe players and EPL rules) defensive midfield player who even comes close - Declan Rice? (who I don't rate) Tom Davies? there aren't that many options ... two of England's four DM's are currently at Spurs, it's hard to see where any improvement on Winks comes from ... Harvey White (19) one of the Craig twins (18) maybe in three or four years time ....
i dont think it should be a concern to replace him, he plays B level games and struggles in them, just give someone in the academy his spot, they cant do any worse imo and you might find an actual gem in the process.

i dont think it should be a concern to replace him, he plays B level games and struggles in them, just give someone in the academy his spot, they cant do any worse imo and you might find an actual gem in the process.
Spot on - he's a reserve player there to fill in as he did well enough last night - we aren't City or Chelsea with 600m on the bench, developing "one of our own" is so much more satisfying than just buying the next shiny toy you see, at least it still is for many of us. Problem is that satisfying as it may be it probably won't ever win us very much .... these days dirty money means trophies, sadly.

Spot on - he's a reserve player there to fill in as he did well enough last night - we aren't City or Chelsea with 600m on the bench, developing "one of our own" is so much more satisfying than just buying the next shiny toy you see, at least it still is for many of us. Problem is that satisfying as it may be it probably won't ever win us very much .... these days dirty money means trophies, sadly.
of course its always good to see development from the academy, but if ones clearly not good enough and its been made clear, then its time to let someone else have the opportunity.

theyre not coming in for modric, they are coming in for harry winks who has been struggling against some really poor sides over the last years, so even if they come in and arent good enough themslves, it wouldnt really matter

Very interesting that he said everyone's training harder, fitter, more together than they were last season. Was that for Nuno's consumption, or were they really a bit disfunctional under Mourinho? Bit of both, I reckon.
Bit of both i'd think too. Buttering up the new manager while spouting against the old one who had binned him.

He did a couple of good things against a very poor side

Let’s see him do it on a regular basis against PL sides

I very much doubt that he can

He didn't let the team down tonight but he was a bit -ish for me
I don't know if he was under instructions from Nuno but every pass he made was safe until the last knockings when he got a wee bit braver.
Incidentally there was a big cheer when his name was announced at the beginning of the game.

Very interesting that he said everyone's training harder, fitter, more together than they were last season. Was that for Nuno's consumption, or were they really a bit disfunctional under Mourinho? Bit of both, I reckon.

Found this difficult to watch. He looks like a kid under too much pressure… arms crossed very tightly and clearly uncomfortable.

I think as a fan base, we need to take a long look at our treatment of him. I’m embarrassed by some of it. We’re not Woolrich for fuck sake.

Him and his family are Spurs and through, just the fact he’s played for the first team alone is cause for celebration. He’s played well for us in the past and with support; he can again.

Well played today Winksy 👍

He doesn’t have to!! If he can do it for Conference League matches and some early Cup rounds it’s a win.

PEH & Skipp can’t play every match

He shouldn't be playing regularly against EPL sides, we have Hojbjerg and Skippy as the defensive pair for tough games, in many games we can play just one DM and two box-box or AM's ...

Whilst I also very much doubt he can perform as a regular world class EPL DM, as third choice he's not really expected to.

Winks gives 100% - he's Spurs through and through - there's a lot to be said for that.

Back
Top Bottom