Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane was great but could been greater if he was less selfish. He could have won Spurs a title or two if that was the case but it was not. Spurs let Leicester win one and gifted CL to scouser because of it

This sentence alone proves how daft and clueless you are.

What is xG?​

Very simply, xG (or expected goals) is the probability that a shot will result in a goal based on the characteristics of that shot and the events leading up to it. Some of these characteristics/variables include:

• Location of shooter: How far was it from the goal and at what angle on the pitch?
  • Body part: Was it a header or off the shooter's foot?
  • Type of pass: Was it from a through ball, cross, set piece, etc?
  • Type of attack: Was it from an established possession? Was it off a rebound? Did the defense have time to get in position? Did it follow a dribble?
Every shot is compared to thousands of shots with similar characteristics to determine the probability that this shot will result in a goal. That probability is the expected goal total. An xG of 0 is a certain miss, while an xG of 1 is a certain goal. An xG of .5 would indicate that if identical shots were attempted 10 times, 5 would be expected to result in a goal.

There are a number of xG models that use similar techniques and variables, which attempt to reach the same conclusion. The model that FBref uses is provided by StatsBomb. What sets StatsBomb's xG model apart from others is their use of freeze frames. A freeze frame is the location of all players on the pitch at the moment the shot was taken. Was the goalkeeper in position? Was it an open goal or were there a number of defenders between the shooter and the goal? Was the shooter being pressured? Was it a 1v1 situation with the keeper?

What is xG?​

Very simply, xG (or expected goals) is the probability that a shot will result in a goal based on the characteristics of that shot and the events leading up to it. Some of these characteristics/variables include:

• Location of shooter: How far was it from the goal and at what angle on the pitch?
  • Body part: Was it a header or off the shooter's foot?
  • Type of pass: Was it from a through ball, cross, set piece, etc?
  • Type of attack: Was it from an established possession? Was it off a rebound? Did the defense have time to get in position? Did it follow a dribble?
Every shot is compared to thousands of shots with similar characteristics to determine the probability that this shot will result in a goal. That probability is the expected goal total. An xG of 0 is a certain miss, while an xG of 1 is a certain goal. An xG of .5 would indicate that if identical shots were attempted 10 times, 5 would be expected to result in a goal.

There are a number of xG models that use similar techniques and variables, which attempt to reach the same conclusion. The model that FBref uses is provided by StatsBomb. What sets StatsBomb's xG model apart from others is their use of freeze frames. A freeze frame is the location of all players on the pitch at the moment the shot was taken. Was the goalkeeper in position? Was it an open goal or were there a number of defenders between the shooter and the goal? Was the shooter being pressured? Was it a 1v1 situation with the keeper?
Stop digging that hole now... :nunofacepalm:

Stop digging that hole now... :nunofacepalm:
HAHA truth hurts doesn't it. Kane isn't as good a finisher as the fanboys think.

Kane had 19 open play goals in the PL last season vs Son's 16.

Difference is the level of difficulty of Son's goals were significantly more challenging on aggregate hence the reason why his goals above xG was more than 5x greater than Kane's. Yes Kane scored a few nice goals last season but most were tap ins, open headers and penalties hence the unimpressive goals above xG figure.

You've got to be the best finisher on your club to have your name said in the same sentence as a player like Ronaldo. Kane's not on that level.

HAHA truth hurts doesn't it. Kane isn't as good a finisher as the fanboys think.

Kane had 19 open play goals in the PL last season vs Son's 16.

Difference is the level of difficulty of Son's goals were significantly more challenging on aggregate hence the reason why his goals above xG was more than 5x greater than Kane's. Yes Kane scored a few nice goals last season but most were tap ins, open headers and penalties hence the unimpressive goals above xG figure.

You've got to be the best finisher on your club to have your name said in the same sentence as a player like Ronaldo. Kane's not on that level.
I'm not a Kane fanboy at all, far from it in fact.

I am just calling bullshit on your xG fucking nonsense.

Karius had a mare in that CL final, but that doesn't mean Bale didn't have a worldie when he came on. He single handedly won that final. That's what the greats do. I think he did it against Althetico too didn't he?

And Barca in the Cup 1st Season. Inter, Kane's never played at that level, once.

HAHA he averaged 3 premier league assists a season before his fluke assist season last year

:dembelelol:

giraffe wtf GIF

I think this is like 5th time I am seeing this post from you. How many times you have to point out this fact. Probably many many more lol
It's fun to be a contrarian that takes controversial stances supported with facts/stats that are often overlooked.

Makes being a football fan much more interesting rather than posting Kane's PL and international goal tally every day.

I could post Kane's PL and international goal tally/rank every day and get many thumbs up and likes from the fanboys in here but that wouldn't be much fun would it?

It's fun to be a contrarian that takes controversial stances supported with facts/stats that are often overlooked.

Makes being a football fan much more interesting rather than posting Kane's PL and international goal tally every day.

I could post Kane's PL and international goal tally/rank every day and get many thumbs up and likes from the fanboys in here but that wouldn't be much fun would it?
You call everyone who backs a player a fanboy including people who back one of our best goal scorers ever yet remain blind to the fact that youre the biggest fanboy here of a player who has done nothing but steal a living off our club

I don't get emotionally attached to players and in my opinion it also means I see them a tad more objectively.

Kane is an excellent striker and footballer.. The best combined striker/player since Rooney but bit in my opinion better at this stage for some very obvious reasons.

But it is one thing talking of Kane as whatever but completely another if anyone puts him anywhere near to Ronaldo level.

There is just too much distance between Messi/Ronaldo and nearly all players, of which I think Kane would be in the 3rd bracket.

So it's not about liking Kane as opposed to not falling victim to nepotistic and baseless claims.
What

Back
Top Bottom