Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
Jesus.

Do any of these numbers include the cost of building a stadium in that period? I’m not referring to the debt component which is fixed and paid over a long period, I’m referring to the equity. typically on these types of build there is a 25% to 30% equity component (banks won’t finance the whole thing). That is, THFC have to put in 25% to 30% of the project value (not just the construction value). ENIC made no loans for this equity component so this was funded by THFC - shirt sales, tickets, tv revenue, etc

You guys are looking at a 3-4 year period when Spurs made a major investment that will pay off over30-50 years. Is this whole forum full of brickies and milkmen? Does no one understand finance?

I bet half of the people who are angry about stupid shit online have not even been to a frigging game.

You agree Swiss Ramble IS a reliable source though?

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.sportbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2F79a243d75f5fac86e6d0da767caa89de.jpg

It's very disheartening to see our owners sandwiched between the Glazers and Mike Ashley in terms of squad investment, isn't it... Two owners despised by their entire fan base. You at least agree our fans have every right to feel angry?

Look at the bottom 4

Dildo Brothers
Mike Ashley
ENIC
The Glazers
Have you found out what that 40m was for yet?

:harrylol:

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.sportbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2F79a243d75f5fac86e6d0da767caa89de.jpg

It's very disheartening to see our owners sandwiched between the Glazers and Mike Ashley in terms of squad investment, isn't it... Two owners despised by their entire fan base. You at least agree our fans have every right to feel angry?

Look at the bottom 4

Dildo Brothers
Mike Ashley
ENIC
The Glazers
What you're saying is that we, being way behind in revenue for 20 years, and only last year became 5th "richest" should have won more trophies?

Yep, absolutely agree with that.
Is it Levy's fault that we failed in numerous semi finals and finals?

Or is it the players?

Or is it the managers? (Sonny at LB springs to mind)

Or is it a combination of all those things.?

No I'm not disputing it at all.
It is accurate for the last 5 years

Are you disputing that it only shows the last 5 years and previous to that "something else occurred"?

Still not telling you what it is.
:kaneear::kaneear:

I’ve been of the view that we are better off without Kane and statistically speaking, I haven’t been wrong at all as long as Son is playing. Our record is actually meaningfully better without Kane over the last 3 or 2 seasons.
When he plays, he changes the dynamic of the team and it’s not always for the best.

Look at the bottom 4

Dildo Brothers
Mike Ashley
ENIC
The Glazers
three years out of date

Is this whole forum full of brickies and milkmen? Does no one understand finance?
What makes you think working class people are incapable of understanding finance? My friend's late father worked as a carpenter and actually had the skills and experience from that line of work to design and build a house from scratch. His plan was to build the house, sell it on at profit and use the money to buy a smaller property which he would own outright. Unfortunately, it all got screwed up when my friend's mother wanted a divorce.

And when he died, he left plenty of money for my friend and his sister all squirreled away in the right places to stop the government from getting it. Very smart man who I would have loved to have met but unfortunately he died before I met my friend.

Based on the credit crisis we've had, I think it's safe to say that my friend's father had a better understanding of finance than the clowns in London.

Jesus.

Do any of these numbers include the cost of building a stadium in that period? I’m not referring to the debt component which is fixed and paid over a long period, I’m referring to the equity. typically on these types of build there is a 25% to 30% equity component (banks won’t finance the whole thing). That is, THFC have to put in 25% to 30% of the project value (not just the construction value). ENIC made no loans for this equity component so this was funded by THFC - shirt sales, tickets, tv revenue, etc

You guys are looking at a 3-4 year period when Spurs made a major investment that will pay off over30-50 years. Is this whole forum full of brickies and milkmen? Does no one understand finance?

I bet half of the people who are angry about stupid shit online have not even been to a frigging game.
Most sane people aren’t angry with the lack of spending, it’s the way it’s spent that’s frustrating

Clearly some of our early results have had a hint of fortune about them but this is a team that could be a tidy unit once bedded in and point decent points are on the board sugges already. I have serious doubts about the manager's tactics, I think he needs to adapt. But we should be there or thereabouts with regards to Europa qualification. No need for a full on melt.

Once again it has to be stressed that investment isn't the main issue. Yes it would be nice to have more money spent, but we are not a state run club or an oil billionaires plaything.

The issue is, and always has been, incompetent use of the finances we have. Money spunked up the wall on Ndombele and Lo Celso whilst ruining potential deals for guys like Tielemans, Fernandes and Grealish who were available. Constant punts on guys in the Nkoudou bracket and none of them ever work out. Never making any money from sales whereas other clubs move on players at the right time, our total lack of a plan when it comes to what kind of manager we want.

We didn't spend for years under Poch. They just sat on it, and then when (inevitably) we declined they hit the panic button and wasted the money. Then they decide that Mourinho is the man they want to give some semblance of backing to.

It's an entirely incompetent use of the resources that we do have.

Jesus.

Big 4 + Woolwich + Leicester + Everton ahead of us? I think that makes us eighth, dunnit?

:avbcringe:

So it is. Originally, I was going to say that Everton have a better first 11 than we do, but I changed my mind on that, since Sigurdsson is gone. I forgot to remove them when I edited it down to 6 above us. What I did make a mistake on, though, is that it would put 10 clubs ahead of us in the "form" rankings, so we'd b e 11th there, not 10th.

You think Woolwich will finish above us ?

I put them below us in the "form" ranking, so right now, I'd say no. But if they fire Arteta, I think they probably will.

Once again it has to be stressed that investment isn't the main issue. Yes it would be nice to have more money spent, but we are not a state run club or an oil billionaires plaything.

The issue is, and always has been, incompetent use of the finances we have. Money spunked up the wall on Ndombele and Lo Celso whilst ruining potential deals for guys like Tielemans, Fernandes and Grealish who were available. Constant punts on guys in the Nkoudou bracket and none of them ever work out. Never making any money from sales whereas other clubs move on players at the right time, our total lack of a plan when it comes to what kind of manager we want.

We didn't spend for years under Poch. They just sat on it, and then when (inevitably) we declined they hit the panic button and wasted the money. Then they decide that Mourinho is the man they want to give some semblance of backing to.

It's an entirely incompetent use of the resources that we do have.

All of the players we sign are a certain age with a perceived high ceiling.
Whereas United will buy a 37 year old and pay them a big salary for year for guaranteed output, we will sign a 20 year old for potentially a higher fee but less salary. That 20 year old may well become a success and help the team. They may well be sold for a profit for one reason or another. They may fail entirely but be lost in the finances one of the other kids raises when they go for a profit.

There's 2 big problems with the model. 1 is the number of success stories - they're far too low. The other is how long it usually takes for these kids to develop into success stories. 2 of the best examples were Bale and Eriksen who both started off pretty average but then after a while succeeded. It's ok waiting for some one to come good hen the rest of the team is good, but ours isn't. We don't really have time to wait for all our U25 year olds, especially those signed this summer, to get used to the league and come good.

Clearly some of our early results have had a hint of fortune about them but this is a team that could be a tidy unit once bedded in and point decent points are on the board sugges already. I have serious doubts about the manager's tactics, I think he needs to adapt. But we should be there or thereabouts with regards to Europa qualification. No need for a full on melt.

Sorry mate but I can't agree.

Our players are shit, our squad is shit, our manager is shit, our board is shit, our chairman is shit, our results are shit, our future is shit.

IT'S ALL SHIT

Sure That was said in 2019 Once the stadium is finished. Do you think the equity component (of say 200mil) is payed on completion of the stadium? Or up front? So maybe the pain has been had?

Do you think that Levy should tell the supporters that everything is rosy or do think that Levy should tell the supporters that we will tighten our belts for a few years?

If the article you linked is correct and Spurs had a net debt of 650mil from banks as a result of the stadium do you think the Stadium cost 650mil? Or do banks require an equity component? I heard somewhere the Stadium cost 850mil, but I can’t be bothered to verify the source right now.

If Levy / ENIC had not driven the build a new stadium path including getting support from government to upgrade infrastructure around the stadium and instead we were today sitting in the old 35,000 seater WHL stadium cheering Spurs on as we are today, do you think we would be better or worse off? Do you think we could compete with Woolwich consistently when they have a 60,000 stadium?

No offence, but you can’t just look at the transfers in or out without seeing the bigger picture.

Sure That was said in 2019 Once the stadium is finished. Do you think the equity component (of say 200mil) is payed on completion of the stadium? Or up front? So maybe the pain has been had?

Do you think that Levy should tell the supporters that everything is rosy or do think that Levy should tell the supporters that we will tighten our belts for a few years?

If the article you linked is correct and Spurs had a net debt of 650mil from banks as a result of the stadium do you think the Stadium cost 650mil? Or do banks require an equity component? I heard somewhere the Stadium cost 850mil, but I can’t be bothered to verify the source right now.

If Levy / ENIC had not driven the build a new stadium path including getting support from government to upgrade infrastructure around the stadium and instead we were today sitting in the old 35,000 seater WHL stadium cheering Spurs on as we are today, do you think we would be better or worse off? Do you think we could compete with Woolwich consistently when they have a 60,000 stadium?

No offence, but you can’t just look at the transfers in or out without seeing the bigger picture.

They had almost 20 years of being penny pinching cuntbags to get whatever equity they needed together. We all thought that was the exact and only reason for the tightness.
But we are still a club looking to deal on a zero net spend wherever possible.

Back
Top Bottom