Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The funny thing about this player is that he's probably still wondering why he is now shit just like his apologists can't figure it out. Neither can understand his fall from grace and we get a lot of suggestions as to why it's all gone wrong...in fact, a new one each week along with a new theory as to how to get him back to his best.

The truth of the matter is he's never been a good footballer. He's scored goals and been productive in a functional team where time and space was provided for him and for the most part had a free role beyond that. But as a footbaler he was still under-cooked. I challenge anyone to go back and watch a game from the Poch era where Dele was supposedly good. Focus on him for the whole 90 and see what you see. You will see that there was never really much there in this player and that is what we (I say we but some are still not seeing it) are seeing now.

100% Poch put him in a role which focused on his best attributes, but he never was developed to be a functional all-round player.

He could afford to be wasteful on the ball at the height of the Poch era because Dembele and Wanyama/Dier would seal the pitch and get it back for us rapidly.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 you still think he should start?? baffling
You really shouldn't call him out. Apparently he takes it as quite an affront to be expected to defend his own words. Thankfully we've got Mura in the ECL this week so I'm sure we'll see him there with some "thow-ins taken" or "water sips enjoyed" stats to support our boy.

Nobody will buy him if we sell. I assume he's on a decent wage and nobody is going to want him as a box to box so they'd be signing him as a 10 or second striker where for a long time he's been woeful and offering nothing.

Maybe someone might take a punt but we have Levy who will be demanding 30 mill, so inevitably he will be another who just sits on the contract.

Maybe someone might take a punt but we have Levy who will be demanding 30 mill, so inevitably he will be another who just sits on the contract.
Matt Law reported Levy wanted 40M for winks this summer. Winks!?! To your credit I see reason got the best of you with your estimate. But reason won't get to Levy and his valuation and as you said he will be here til his contract ends...and he will improve not one bit.

Matt Law reported Levy wanted 40M for winks this summer. Winks!?! To your credit I see reason got the best of you with your estimate. But reason won't get to Levy and his valuation and as you said he will be here til his contract ends...and he will improve not one bit.

I'm somehow hopeful that losing a bunch of rubbish players he was absolutely quoting silly fees for a season or two ago has finally got it through to Levy that nobody wants to pay big money for our rejects.

I am of course, wrong.

"But if they want a warning sign they should look at Dele Alli. I had him with England three or four years ago and l would have said that he would go on to become one of the top midfielders this country has produced. He had everything. And now look at him. He was subbed at half-time today and he's a shadow of what he was in terms of application and work ethic. I said last year he needed a shock, but he needs to sort himself out, and I love him as a kid."

G.Nev completely nailing that it's all about his attitude. The same hunger isn't there when he has trying to prove himself, the big move, prodigious rise and no doubt all the fame and fortune has went to his head big time and he's got the maturity of a teenager. Playing Fortnight with a diamond encrusted controller with all his esports mates and general posse telling him how fucking great he is all the time. He was in a CL Final, played for England, the next Gascoigne etc. His head's gone.

...Levy is a big part of this too as he overvalues him massively due to Dele's previous reputation and wants him on the pitch. I am nearly positive there is pressure on the manager(s) to play certain players from above to protect their value.

Levy wants Dele and Winks playing, he wants £40m for Winks and fuck knows what he'd ask for Dele considering he was asking for £3.5b+ for the club etc.

It's a shame about Dele, because we've all seen that the ability was there, but he's not that same hungry lad trying to prove himself amongst the best at a big club anymore and it doesn't half show on the pitch. He's no fire anymore, no fight, no hunger. It's all about attitude instead of ability, exactly like the majority of the rest of the squad.

Back
Top Bottom