Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bizarre the kind of patience people have with players like this. He's been here multiple seasons and has done almost nothing in his entire time at the club. I really don't care if he plays well against Ecuador when he goes on his jollies, he does zilch for us.

Move him on when/if possible. He's barely better than someone like Winks for us but people seem to think there's this dynamic creative midfielder hiding there.

Yep. It's because he plays for Argentina and makes their team regularly. So people would prefer to blame us as team rather than just say that actually when he has been given a chance he's not really shown much at all.

He does have some ability. He'd probably look a fine player in Serie A or back in La Liga. But for us there's no way you can say he's been anything other than average and quite a dissapointment.

Bizarre the kind of patience people have with players like this. He's been here multiple seasons and has done almost nothing in his entire time at the club. I really don't care if he plays well against Ecuador when he goes on his jollies, he does zilch for us.

Move him on when/if possible. He's barely better than someone like Winks for us but people seem to think there's this dynamic creative midfielder hiding there.

This is not true at all. He was clearly our best player during a stretch in the Covid break season. Now that doesn't excuse his poor play at other times and his injury issue but there is reason people have patience with a player like him because he has shown the kind of talent we need for us in the past.

This is not true at all. He was clearly our best player during a stretch in the Covid break season. Now that doesn't excuse his poor play at other times and his injury issue but there is reason people have patience with a player like him because he has shown the kind of talent we need for us in the past.
He has had minimal impact game for game less than N'dombele and that is quite the fucking achievement I'm officially done with both the plonkers

He has had minimal impact game for game less than N'dombele and that is quite the fucking achievement I'm officially done with both the plonkers

I don't think so.

As I have said I am fine moving on from GLC because I think he injury history is a concern and especially now that he doesn't fit in Nuno's no passing, no skill MF but the chances we bring in a better player than him if we do sell is basically zero.

I don't think so.

As I have said I am fine moving on from GLC because I think he injury history is a concern and especially now that he doesn't fit in Nuno's no passing, no skill MF but the chances we bring in a better player than him if we do sell is basically zero.

I don’t think he is a world beater by any means. But sacking Nuno should be the obvious thing to do. (Or not hiring him in the first place)

I don't think so.

Is there anyone you rate on the team? Seriously.

You seem like you want to sell everyone.

Ndombele under Jose was far, far better than anything we've seen from Lo Celso. He's had games where teams like Liverpool, United etc couldn't live with him. The best I've ever seen from Lo Celso are a few decent games. Even during that stretch I barely remember any truly notable performances.

He's a creative mid with maybe 2 goals and 2 assists to rub together since joining. Bad at his role, sell.

Ndombele under Jose was far, far better than anything we've seen from Lo Celso. He's had games where teams like Liverpool, United etc couldn't live with him. The best I've ever seen from Lo Celso are a few decent games. Even during that stretch I barely remember any truly notable performances.

He's a creative mid with maybe 2 goals and 2 assists to rub together since joining. Bad at his role, sell.

Ndombele wasn’t very good under Jose. He was the same inconsistent player he always has been. He never had a run of games as consistently good as GLC did around the Covid break.

Big reason GLC doesn’t have big counting stats is the role he is asked to play. Looking at and not the passes he makes is a stupid way to judge him.

Ndombele wasn’t very good under Jose. He was the same inconsistent player he always has been. He never had a run of games as consistently good as GLC did around the Covid break.

Big reason GLC doesn’t have big counting stats is the role he is asked to play. Looking at and not the passes he makes is a stupid way to judge him.

He was better than Lo Celso. Had multiple games against big teams where he actually contributed. He wasn't Yaya Toure in his peak, but he was a useful asset at that time. And nah, totally disagree with that, Lo Celso has never been anything but tidy for us at best.

And nope, he's frequently been deployed either in a wide creative role, as a 10, or as a central midfielder but with plenty of attacking responsibility. In that time he's scored 1 goal and got 3 assists in total. It's rubbish. Hojbjerg has managed to be more creative and a bigger goal threat in one single season.

If he doesn't create or score, he does nothing. He doesn't dictate play or defend well. If we want someone to play a role which doesn't require goals or assists, we should sign someone better at it. There's a reason multiple managers have had him mostly on the bench.

He was better than Lo Celso. Had multiple games against big teams where he actually contributed. He wasn't Yaya Toure in his peak, but he was a useful asset at that time. And nah, totally disagree with that, Lo Celso has never been anything but tidy for us at best.

And nope, he's frequently been deployed either in a wide creative role, as a 10, or as a central midfielder but with plenty of attacking responsibility. In that time he's scored 1 goal and got 3 assists in total. It's rubbish. Hojbjerg has managed to be more creative and a bigger goal threat in one single season.

If he doesn't create or score, he does nothing. He doesn't dictate play or defend well. If we want someone to play a role which doesn't require goals or assists, we should sign someone better at it. There's a reason multiple managers have had him mostly on the bench.

LOL at the bolded if that is the kind of BS you are going to bring to the discussion then there really isn't any point as you obviously have something against Gio and aren't interested in a real conversation about him.

LOL at the bolded if that is the kind of BS you are going to bring to the discussion then there really isn't any point as you obviously have something against Gio and aren't interested in a real conversation about him.

Hojbjerg 2 goals 4 assists last season, that's one more assist than Lo Celso has in his entire time in the Premier League. Whilst playing games as a creative mid and sometimes even as a wide midfielder. It's also twice as many goals as Lo Celso has in the league, which is one.

He also got 4 goals 3 assists for Southampton the previous season. So yeah, at premier league level he's a more dangerous player in the final third than Lo Celso is, whilst offering far more to the defensive third, and much more energy.

Facts don't lie. Go find some to support Lo Celso other than opinions. You'll struggle to, because on every level of data analysis, he is a nothing player at this level for Spurs. And something against Gio? Other than being annoyed at us spending lots of money on a creative mid who doesn't create, nothing.

Hojbjerg 2 goals 4 assists last season, that's one more assist than Lo Celso has in his entire time in the Premier League. Whilst playing games as a creative mid and sometimes even as a wide midfielder. It's also twice as many goals as Lo Celso has in the league, which is one.

He also got 4 goals 3 assists for Southampton the previous season. So yeah, at premier league level he's a more dangerous player in the final third than Lo Celso is, whilst offering far more to the defensive third, and much more energy.

Facts don't lie. Go find some to support Lo Celso other than opinions. You'll struggle to, because on every level of data analysis, he is a nothing player at this level for Spurs. And something against Gio? Other than being annoyed at us spending lots of money on a creative mid who doesn't create, nothing.

Looking at assists tells you nothing about creativity. The fact you keep harping on that shows how clueless you are.

GLC routinely makes passes PEH couldn't dream of. There is a reason that with PEH as a key part of our midfield it has been complete dogshit in terms of progressing the ball and creating chances, because he does not have that ability.

Keep looking at your stat sheet and ignoring what happens on the actual field. I am sure one day the stat sheet will jump up and overtake actual results on the field.

Looking at assists tells you nothing about creativity. The fact you keep harping on that shows how clueless you are.

GLC routinely makes passes PEH couldn't dream of. There is a reason that with PEH as a key part of our midfield it has been complete dogshit in terms of progressing the ball and creating chances, because he does not have that ability.

Keep looking at your stat sheet and ignoring what happens on the actual field. I am sure one day the stat sheet will jump up and overtake actual results on the field.

He has a mighty 4 big chances created in 50 games for Spurs. He's only ever attempted 9 through balls. If you don't like assists, then show me a stat which reflects creativity in which Lo Celso shows any sort of ability. Or do you want to continue relying on subjectivity?

Already addressed this. These passes he couldn't dream of are almost never made, as reflected by statistics.

By both eye test and statistical analysis, he's a nothing player. You can dismiss statistics all you like, I bet the data analysts at our club aren't particularly impressed by what he objectively offers the team either. When a lazy, half arsed Ndombele even gets in to the 10 role ahead of you, then you have problems.

He has a mighty 4 big chances created in 50 games for Spurs. He's only ever attempted 9 through balls. If you don't like assists, then show me a stat which reflects creativity in which Lo Celso shows any sort of ability. Or do you want to continue relying on subjectivity?

Already addressed this. These passes he couldn't dream of are almost never made, as reflected by statistics.

By both eye test and statistical analysis, he's a nothing player. You can dismiss statistics all you like, I bet the data analysts at our club aren't particularly impressed by what he objectively offers the team either. When a lazy, half arsed Ndombele even gets in to the 10 role ahead of you, then you have problems.

That is such BS, by eye test you can see how much better he is in terms of passing, progressing the ball and creating chances than anyone on the team outside of maybe Ndombele in the 10% he is able to try.

Who cares about statistics when we watch these guys play week after week. I don't need a stat to tell me that GLC is so much better at passing, creating, progressing the ball than PEH. Any stat or person saying anything different is stupid and useless.

There is nothing subjective about it is a flat out fact.

No, he's not.
You are looking at stats too closely, Igula is right here

Am I? If a player doesn't make key passes, doesn't create big chances, doesn't attempt many through balls, doesn't score goals, doesn't assist, what is he meant to be doing visible to the human eye that statistics aren't picking up?

Even if he's more creative than Hojbjerg, he's still nowhere near good enough at it. If all people can say is 'watch the games' (I do, he does nothing) then there's nowhere for the discussion to go. All I see is a player who hides in a Spurs shirt and does nothing unpredictable.

Am I? If a player doesn't make key passes, doesn't create big chances, doesn't attempt many through balls, doesn't score goals, doesn't assist, what is he meant to be doing visible to the human eye that statistics aren't picking up?

Even if he's more creative than Hojbjerg, he's still nowhere near good enough at it. If all people can say is 'watch the games' (I do, he does nothing) then there's nowhere for the discussion to go. All I see is a player who hides in a Spurs shirt and does nothing unpredictable.

If you say you watch the games and then say he hides you either are lying about watching the games or watching with your eyes closed.

I also have said I would sell Gio, but if you expect us to bring in a better player or be a better team by getting rid of one of the few players with actual skill and who can pass then you haven't been paying attention to our club.

Back
Top Bottom