Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got it....

So you wanted to sign Mane as a backup for Dembele to sit on our bench instead of Sissoko?

Had we signed Mane in 2016, he would have wanted to start as a left sided forward. We had just signed Son for this exact position. Mane wasn't going to come and sit on the bench when he could walk straight into the Liverpool team.

This is why we fell from grace, the attitude that 11 players were un-droppable. No one should ever feel like that. One of the famous old Liverpool coaches, Shankley or Paisley, used to tell his squad he was going to sell a few of them every now and then because he wanted to improve the squad. He didn't say who and wasn't always actually going to do it, but it kept them on their toes.
We should always be looking at the best talent and if we can bring them in, fuck the first 11. Either they up their game to keep the new guy on the bench, or they find themselves on it.
Note, Eriksen went down the shitter and then so did Dele. We signed Moura a wide forward, he barely chips in.

Sissoko was a ridiculous buy . Geordies thought he was utter crap and couldn't believe Dell boy Ashley had fucked Oxbridge Levy .

Sissoko had been playing well for France. People use the same logic to support GLC.

When he went out injured in mid November and we said he'd be back just in time for the Argentina internationals in late January, they thought we were joking...

I wasn't joking. Blokes a fucking cretin taking our money and giving US little in return.

People should stop focussing on the fees we spend. A transfer is a package that inlcudes wages, bonus', add ons and agent fees.

Going back to Sissoko, I always felt he was the booby prize instead of Kante.
They both cost £30m so it looks like we didn't cheap out. But I bet he earned half as much over 4-5 years and I bet Newcastle were happy with installments rather than a lump sum.

Aside from missing an in excusable amount of games, I actually have no idea what he even is as a footballer?

He’s embarrassingly one-footed and his left is by no means a “wand”. He doesn’t have much invention to his game and nor does he have decent delivery into the box. Yet he’s meant to be a #10?

I actually think he’s just a shit Lucas Moura marketed as a David Silva ‘type’. Reasonably quick, decent dribbler, but runs into traffic a lot. Sounds about right.

Last edited:
Lo Celso has the potential to become a top-notch player - which he showed when he played at Betis and, more recently for Argentina. But his physique and style do not seem to fit the EPL, unfortunately.
I'd sell both him and Ndombele (not for cheap though) and replace them with CM who fits into Conte's new formation.
I'd go all out for Frenkie de Jong and Gravenberch....but have a feeling that "richer" clubs than Spurs would do the same (Bayern, Man Utd, Man City, PSG are all rumoured to be after de Jong...)
What makes you say he has the potential to become ‘top notch’?

What does he do? Scampers about on the right and plays a few triangles. Has one out ball where he hits it long, to the left.

Never really pushes into the box. Hardly ever scores. Is more one footed than Lamela.

If he was English he’d get absolute pelters. He is pointless.

What does he do? Scampers about on the right and plays a few triangles. Has one out ball where he hits it long, to the left.

Never really pushes into the box. Hardly ever scores. Is more one footed than Lamela.

Spain is a weak league from 4th/5th down and Argentina, like England, probably play more weak and pathetic teams than good ones.

There's a reason GLC hasn't looked good for us but them - the premier league is competitive.

Well, I am not the only one who said so (that he could become a top-notch player). I have posted quotes about him here before.
He was one of the best CM in La Liga in 2018-19. And even though the EPL is "better" and more competitive right now there isn't that much of a difference between the 2 leagues as many British people seem to believe.
EPL, btw, is getting as predictable as La Liga - the top 3 teams will be Man. City, Liverpool and Chelski (not necessarily in that order).
However, my point was to sell him and not to keep him. Some players simply aren't made for the EPL.

Last edited:
What a way to flush the best part of 110 million pounds down the toilet.

Shocking

Add the likes of Jack Clarke and Aurier into that and you're talking nearly 150 mil of mediocrity.
Even though Aurier was that disastrous, I actually don't consider him as the same category as Lo Celso, NDombele or Jack Clarke. Especially for Lo Celso, who has given us a huge impression of taking a free ride on us to just play for his national team.

What a way to flush the best part of 110 million pounds down the toilet.

Shocking

Add the likes of Jack Clarke and Aurier into that and you're talking nearly 150 mil of mediocrity.

TN, GLC, Sess & Clarke alone was 140m.

Serge fan or not, he was nowhere near the same degree of dud-ness.

TN, GLC, Sess & Clarke alone was 140m.

Serge fan or not, he was nowhere near the same degree of dud-ness.

Sess still has a chance. What frustrates me most is both Lo Celso and Ndombele have the talent to be top draw players and solve our midfield issues but because of attitude and professionalism don’t.

Ndombele just does what he wants and Lo Celso saves his fitness and performances for Argentina.

I don‘t recall any recent signing that’s annoyed me as much as this guy. I’ve got plenty of patience for players who aren’t good, don’t die for spurs, or even have some attitude issues. But GLC really takes the cake, not overly skilled/talented, always injured, and an attitude worse than Ndombele in my eyes.

His first 6 months were bright, but my god did it drop off a cliff after. How he’s getting into that Argi side is beyond me, as he’s not even playing any games.
He only seems to get his arse in gear when he plays for the national team

I can't wait to see this thread when he gets a brace Sunday...

I kid, but also hope.
I’d absolutely love him to get a brace. To turn into a marauding 10 that demands the ball and is running our attack.

I just think it’s far more likely we’ll see him tidy his hair and do that shirt pull thing.

Ignoring his injury problems (for us) o_O when he actually does get some minutes in he at least tries a bit and he's not that bad.
I won't shed a tear when he leaves but I think if we play any games at all this month he could be useful.

Ignoring his injury problems (for us) o_O when he actually does get some minutes in he at least tries a bit and he's not that bad.
I won't shed a tear when he leaves but I think if we play any games at all this month he could be useful.

He won't want to risk playing this close to the next international friendlies.

I say that not knowing when they are but still stand by what I said.

I see he emerged as a sub on Sunday, so he's not totally hiding from his day job as a Spurs player. Won't be sad to see us get some of our money back.

Back
Top Bottom