January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well I certainly didn't mean to imply that it would be rosy or that life would saunter on for us unchanged.

We'd effectively be a championship club. AIA wouldn't sponsor us, because we wouldn't have an international footprint. The marketing deals we could get would be national. The TV money would take a huge hit. We'd be happy to have players like Dier and Winks, not loathe to field them. They'd be "stars". Your season ticket would absolutely be cut in half.

But for all the reasons stated before and the fact that our training facilities would be the class of the division bar none, of the English championship level players we could afford (and who had no ESL alternative) - we'd be a very attractive choice.

I'd rather win the championship then be a paid stooge for the greater glory of Arab football tv.
You have no argument from me on a more enjoyable contest once all the oil clubs are gone for sure. It could be apocalyptic for some teams though.

For every McKennie and Chiesa though you've got Bentancur, Ramsey, Morata, Arthur, De Ligt, Danilo (Getting rid of fucking Cancelo!), Rabiot, Bernadeschi, Higuain etc etc. So many overpaid players Juventus want rid of, still, De Ligt for example was signed for huge money, massive wage packet and hasn't come close to justifying it. The ridiculous wages on offer (Also bringing in Ronaldo) also backs you up when it comes to the poor management.

He had a very good run of signings where he was getting a lot of credit, and then an awful one where Juventus dropped off a lot, and a lot of those signings are why they're in their current state. We brought him in off the back of that. I know he had a good reputation as a scout and you're probably right, we need to change his role, but to me it screams a bit of Levy seeing a 'big name' whose reputation has waned somewhat, and going for it.
:mourthumb:

Well I certainly didn't mean to imply that it would be rosy or that life would saunter on for us unchanged.

We'd effectively be a championship club. AIA wouldn't sponsor us, because we wouldn't have an international footprint. The marketing deals we could get would be national. The TV money would take a huge hit. We'd be happy to have players like Dier and Winks, not loathe to field them. They'd be "stars". Your season ticket would absolutely be cut in half.

But for all the reasons stated before and the fact that our training facilities would be the class of the division bar none, of the English championship level players we could afford (and who had no ESL alternative) - we'd be a very attractive choice.

I'd rather win the championship then be a paid stooge for the greater glory of Arab football tv.
The Championship is the Championship because it’s connected to the Premier League.

Anyway, one big lesson from the ESL debacle was that they simply didn’t have enough clubs. It wasn’t a strong enough collective group.

Combine that with Levy’s views on the subject and I don’t think any possibility exists in which Spurs aren’t in on the next conspiracy against football unfortunately. His statement was unique among the UK clubs in basically promising that would be the case.

They are going to keep trying, but I do think it’s more difficult to pull off than some realize, especially if the existing institutions show any savvy at all (an open question, in fairness).

Most likely , we get royal last min ahead other full backs we could have gone for. As much people didn’t like serge he is miles better than two imposters we have now at rb/rwb. His sssists and goals are better than these 2 combined. We get Gil 20yr old who is nowhere near ready for PL and we give Seville lamela on top. I swear under conte he would have been his general on the pitch.
It's all very odd. Dirty dealings going on imo

The Championship is the Championship because it’s connected to the Premier League.

Anyway, one big lesson from the ESL debacle was that they simply didn’t have enough clubs. It wasn’t a strong enough collective group.

Combine that with Levy’s views on the subject and I don’t think any possibility exists in which Spurs aren’t in on the next conspiracy against football unfortunately. His statement was unique among the UK clubs in basically promising that would be the case.

They are going to keep trying, but I do think it’s more difficult to pull off than some realize, especially if the existing institutions show any savvy at all (an open question, in fairness).
The nature of capitalism is reduction. The big fish eat the small fish. The day football became a more or less unregulated capitalist market, when they started selling sponsorships, was the day the die was cast. It really is simply a matter of time, the vast majority of Europe's Big 5 leagues are net losses for the top clubs - clubs that take more revenue than they contribute in exchange for giving the big clubs someone to play.

In an increasingly globalized travel friendly world, Madrid has a net financial gain with Woolwich as the minnow of the week than Getafe. Same for Chelsea with Milan rather than Palace.

There's just too much damn money to think the ESL isn't gonna happen in the next decade. These clubs are tired of paying the likes of Watford for being around.

Finally, 24 days in, something to get excited about

FJ4xxDFXIAEuw4U

:contefists:
Probably be a tribute band when you get there, Guns and Quality Street

Last edited:
The nature of capitalism is reduction. The big fish eat the small fish. The day football became a more or less unregulated capitalist market, when they started selling sponsorships, was the day the die was cast. It really is simply a matter of time, the vast majority of Europe's Big 5 leagues are net losses for the top clubs - clubs that take more revenue than they contribute in exchange for giving the big clubs someone to play.

In an increasingly globalized travel friendly world, Madrid has a net financial gain with Woolwich as the minnow of the week than Getafe. Same for Chelsea with Milan rather than Palace.

There's just too much damn money to think the ESL isn't gonna happen in the next decade. These clubs are tired of paying the likes of Watford for being around.
All true observations, just noting that this is the DE-capitalismization (not a word) of football.

If it were all the ipso-facto way of the world the way you describe, they’d have gotten away with it.

They didn’t understand the magnitude of what they were doing. That union of clubs is leaving and nuking the entire FIFA umbrella. The plan needs to scale to that reality. 12 clubs from 3 countries ain’t gonna cut it.

Is Spurs an attractive club for players to come and play for?

Compared to who?

They are a team that has the resources to compete for Europe and even the CL, which is better than the majority of clubs in Europe.

They are in London which is a desirable place for many people to live.

We can pay wages that most clubs in the world can't afford.

So compared to most clubs in the world and the PL yes we are very desirable. Compared to top teams in the world we are near the bottom of the list.

Back
Top Bottom