January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Spurs would win 9 EPL titles in a row under Paratici but then he ended up leaving Spurs in a "little" mess in the 10th year, well, I'd be more than happy to take that!
Juve won 9 Seri A titles in a row while he was at the club and never has an Italian team been so dominant in Seri A ever. Which says how ungrateful the Juve supporters are if they only are able to see the negatives.
You only want to emphasize his negatives without seeing the positives. If he did such a terrible job then why did he last 11 years at Juve?

I am not at all defending him for his mistakes - like offering Ramsey £400,000 a week! - but he was not alone. A DoF always has a chairman above him who has the ultimate word.
Thus said, I was also not keen on Paratici, to begin with, and so far he's not done much to change that impression but I am also for giving people a chance. It does take time to adjust to a new league and country. Many Spurs fans have this doomsday mentality and if something doesn't work out right away then the person is shit and needs to go so he can be replaced.

Yes, Nuno was certainly not on top of the head-coach list but that does not mean that Levy would not back him. Do you really believe Levy would appoint a head-coach and then totally ignore his request for players and signal that you are here to be sacked? That does not make sense at all.

We won't though because we're not Juventus and aren't in the same position. And it's more than a little mess, he's ruined them financially, saddled them with a large group of mediocre, overpaid players, and then pretty much been booted out for doing so. Juventus fans are better placed than us to know how much he was responsible for the successes and failures, and they don't seem to think much of him, in fact they call him parasite. Maybe as a head scout he was good as alluded to earlier, but his role as DoF was disastrous.

I didn't want Paratici in the first place. No doomsday mentality, didn't want this man at the club and can't wait till he's gone, same as Nuno. Not going to pretend to rate someone or their career just to be positive, my views haven't changed since before he arrived. I'll hope for the best but expect the worst with him because he's done nothing to make me think otherwise. A case where I hope I'm proven wrong but don't expect to be at all.

And yes, I absolutely believe Nuno was not backed. At all with transfers. If you actually think we hired a last second, plaster over a gaping wound manager and then allowed him serious influence in who we signed, you're living in cloud cuckoo land. He may well have been consulted, but no chance was it one he asked for. Even top class coaches like Klopp sometimes don't get full control over transfers, Nuno would've had almost zero.

Fuck me, there's actually a lot of sense there from Simon Jordan. Getting Lo Celso and Ndombele out the door (even if on loan to make selling them in the summer) does seem to be of high importance - especially when the squad can probably accommodate the hit better than we usually would with having no Europe this side of Christmas.

Not really expecting elite players to be available to buy, barring some surprises. Loans (perhaps someone from PSG coming the other way) would be acceptable if it gave us more flexibility to buy well in the summer.

Finally, 24 days in, something to get excited about

FJ4xxDFXIAEuw4U

:contefists:
Welcome to the jungle

We won't though because we're not Juventus and aren't in the same position. And it's more than a little mess, he's ruined them financially, saddled them with a large group of mediocre, overpaid players, and then pretty much been booted out for doing so. Juventus fans are better placed than us to know how much he was responsible for the successes and failures, and they don't seem to think much of him, in fact they call him parasite. Maybe as a head scout he was good as alluded to earlier, but his role as DoF was disastrous.

I didn't want Paratici in the first place. No doomsday mentality, didn't want this man at the club and can't wait till he's gone, same as Nuno. Not going to pretend to rate someone or their career just to be positive, my views haven't changed since before he arrived. I'll hope for the best but expect the worst with him because he's done nothing to make me think otherwise. A case where I hope I'm proven wrong but don't expect to be at all.

And yes, I absolutely believe Nuno was not backed. At all with transfers. If you actually think we hired a last second, plaster over a gaping wound manager and then allowed him serious influence in who we signed, you're living in cloud cuckoo land. He may well have been consulted, but no chance was it one he asked for. Even top class coaches like Klopp sometimes don't get full control over transfers, Nuno would've had almost zero.
It is rather you who live in your own cloud cuckoo land if you believe Spurs would hire a head-coach and not let him have any say in transfers deals. Why even hire him then at all by blatantly showing him he is not wanted at all and his input in transfers would be ignored.
Levy may have his flaws but he is not that daft to totally undermining a head-coach like that even from day one.
You may as well believe then that it was Paratici and Levy who selected the teams and the tactics. 😁

If Spurs would win 9 EPL titles in a row under Paratici but then he ended up leaving Spurs in a "little" mess in the 10th year, well, I'd be more than happy to take that!
Juve won 9 Seri A titles in a row while he was at the club and never has an Italian team been so dominant in Seri A ever. Which says how ungrateful the Juve supporters are if they only are able to see the negatives.
You only want to emphasize his negatives without seeing the positives. If he did such a terrible job then why did he last 11 years at Juve?

I am not at all defending him for his mistakes - like offering Ramsey £400,000 a week! - but he was not alone. A DoF always has a chairman above him who has the ultimate word.
Thus said, I was also not keen on Paratici, to begin with, and so far he's not done much to change that impression but I am also for giving people a chance. It does take time to adjust to a new league and country. Many Spurs fans have this doomsday mentality and if something doesn't work out right away then the person is shit and needs to go so he can be replaced.

Yes, Nuno was certainly not on top of the head-coach list but that does not mean that Levy would not back him. Do you really believe Levy would appoint a head-coach and then totally ignore his request for players and signal that you are here to be sacked? That does not make sense at all.

Juve won 8 titles in a row under Beppe, then another with the team he built. Then they went downhill once Marotta wasn't there and he went on to have success at Inter.

So much credit you give to Paratici for the work done under Beppe Marotta's time there.

It is rather you who live in your own cloud cuckoo land if you believe Spurs would hire a head-coach and not let him have any say in transfers deals. Why even hire him then at all by blatantly showing him he is not wanted at all and his input in transfers would be ignored.
Levy may have his flaws but he is not that daft to totally undermining a head-coach like that even from day one.
You may as well believe then that it was Paratici and Levy who selected the teams and the tactics. 😁

Because he was a desperate last minute 10th choice manager who we had in place while no one better was available and then immediately sacked when the going got a bit tough and Conte could come. Not hard to imagine why the club wouldn't give financial backing to the head coach in that situation, is it?

Don't know why you find this so hard to believe. Poch spoke a LOT about how little input he had in transfers, until he gained a lot of credit with the club and got his way with Ndombele/GLC. Nuno had no such credit in the bank.

£10 million + add ons. Who signed off on that one ? :levyeyes:

Jack Clarke is on 30k a week.

It was a speculative punt made in a pre covid environment to cash in on the young English moneyball nonsense which was rife at the time.

A lot of pressure for a kid so I hope for his sake he does his best whichever team he plays for and doesn't let the money go to his head. I'd make him share a room with Skippy.

For every McKennie and Chiesa though you've got Bentancur, Ramsey, Morata, Arthur, De Ligt, Danilo (Getting rid of fucking Cancelo!), Rabiot, Bernadeschi, Higuain etc etc. So many overpaid players Juventus want rid of, still, De Ligt for example was signed for huge money, massive wage packet and hasn't come close to justifying it. The ridiculous wages on offer (Also bringing in Ronaldo) also backs you up when it comes to the poor management.

He had a very good run of signings where he was getting a lot of credit, and then an awful one where Juventus dropped off a lot, and a lot of those signings are why they're in their current state. We brought him in off the back of that. I know he had a good reputation as a scout and you're probably right, we need to change his role, but to me it screams a bit of Levy seeing a 'big name' whose reputation has waned somewhat, and going for it.

I think putting McKennie in the Chiesa subset is stretching credibility a little.

At best he's betwixt the two. IMO he's veering toward the latter subset, and another reason Juve are not Juve anymore.

Wish I did.
Not trying to bait you into anything, just curious would you rather see us bring in Traore, or nobody at all?

To me he's still a mixed bag. In his current form he's very much a one trick pony, although one that does something nobody else does in our squad, but his finishing leaves a lot to be desired.

I can't remember if it was late last season, or early this season when they played against us, but there were times when I'd see Traore beat all our defenders which never really worried me because his form in front of goal was just that poor. So I'd be lying if I said I'm 100% convinced that he'll fix all our issues, but for a sub 20mil fee I don't think the gamble is that big, especially if Conte really wants him.

Back
Top Bottom