January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think sudoku can be credited with that, as good as his arguments in favour of our lord and saviour were. Pretty sure cretinousgoat cretinousgoat was the Sammy slayer. Or honestly he ended up falling on his own sword in the end.

Nope. I'm gonna blame cretinousgoat cretinousgoat . Always knew that guy was a cunt!!!!

J/K Goat but you can still suck it!!!!:contepoint:
I’m taking full credit! He insulted me and admin and pretty much the entire forum and had a meltdown of epic scale. I used the foul vote thingy.

He went bye bye.

Not. My. Problem

😎

"It was strange in January to send four on loan, and sell one player," Conte said ahead of Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round tie at home to Brighton. "It means maybe you have to understand that there were some mistakes in the past. "Because usually you have to buy players to reinforce your team. But if you send away players on loan you bought in the last two or three years, it means maybe you did something wrong in the past. "Honestly, before arriving at Tottenham, to read the list of players you have in the squad, I considered all the players are important, no? "Because Ndombele we paid a lot for and it was the same for Lo Celso and Gil. Then only when you’re in the situation, you understand very well which is the best solution for the club and for the players in this moment. "For sure, to lose four players in January, I repeat is not normal. We shared the decision with the club and the players. But I repeat, it means something wrong happened in the past. Usually you buy players to reinforce your team, you don't lose players after one, two or three years. For this reason, we have to pay more attention in the future when we go in the market about the choice of the players. It becomes of fundamental importance if we want to reinforce the quality of the team. Otherwise, when you go to reinforce the quality of your team, you drop the quality of your team. "We know very well there are many teams ahead of us. To catch up with them we need time and patience to work hard. Especially in the transfer market, we have to make not big mistakes. Because now – I repeat – there are many teams who started before us and they stay ahead of us. If we want to reduce this gap, the mistakes must be minimum in every aspect. On the pitch, outside the pitch. This is my vision, my thoughts."

What the heck are you talking about?

Ndombele requested a transfer the same damn preseason he was signed in, before he even played a game for

You get these are not mutually exclusive things right? But let's say you are correct where is is A the proof he asked for a transfer in pre season and B how does this alter my substantive point? He came for Pochettino maybe even over his own better judgement. If he did it kind of proves the actual point In making. What's the saying "Buy in haste repent at leisure " He personally was swayed by him in his pre signing meetings with him. I cam only think you have misunderstood the point.

You get these are not mutually exclusive things right? But let's say you are correct where is is A the proof he asked for a transfer in pre season and B how does this alter my substantive point? He came for Pochettino maybe even over his own better judgement. If he did it kind of proves the actual point In making. What's the saying "Buy in haste repent at leisure " He personally was swayed by him in his pre signing meetings with him. I cam only think you have misunderstood the point.
Loads of reports that Ndombele wanted out directly he arrived in 2019 - here's one with quotes

''It was incredibly tough. I remember that I was even calling home to my friends in France saying I want to come back,” he admitted to Football London.''

Yes, yes, duly noted and previously understood. But there's a hell of a chasm between what Deschamps is serving up, the point you're making, and the implied full-Ossie you're suggesting with 'expansive teams'. I'm not saying you need to go full Bielsa but most reasonable tacticians could get France playing something slighly more entertaining without sacrificing solidity...you know, considering their overwhelming talent advantage.

He's Nuno with bad teeth and hair. Give Herve Renard the job!!!! France doesn't have the stones to do that. Would be too much sexy on the sidelines with him and Giroud. *

If memory serves they played shit towards the back end of that cup. And again, don't forget the overwhelming talent advantage. Folks have made many a manager a legend when the reality shows they just had more talent...looking at you Mou!

*obvs taking the piss

Welp, was THAT my claim? Or was it...

Are those two statements the same? You know, "not press resistant" and "not a very press resistant player" relative to his technical ability. I would argue that you are setting up a strawman while mischaracterizing my point.

Please debate in good faith...

Now, Pogba can escape and run off with the ball but he is rarely under control and often it ends up with him in an awful challenge. He can be harassed quite easily into an error while on the ball. Search any Liverpool-ManU game for incontrovertible proof. And though folks of bad faith may be tempted to shout "but that's liverpool blah blah blah", there are many players that don't brick it against Liverpool.

So what does this point have to do with anything? What is the correlation between international football success (with the most talented team on the planet) and him 'thriving' anywhere else he goes? Again, one of my points is that you are talking about a player that you have not identified why they suck in the PL. You say it's motivation. You are wrong. Folks say similar about Dele and why things are going wrong for him. but they are wrong too.

If Pogba goes to italy he will be provided the time and space he needs to play his game. If he goes anywhere else he might have problems depending on the situation/setup/supporting talent.

I've now seen how you rate players. I neither agree with nor trust your take on this...mostly because it is wrong. I'd wager that France are 2-deep better at most (if not every) position on the field than England.
The only players that would thwart that claim is possibly Sterling and Walker (older now but still good...but RB is a problem for France)

Yes, and wouldn't that be part of an overwhelming talent advantage? Take your time.

Platitudinous drivel. I understand this but that doesn't preclude a better brand of pragmatic football FFS. You can play Nuno ball or you can play Conte ball - both 'pragmatic'. Surely, you understand that implicitly considering we've jsut gone through it? So stop arguing the extremes as if that's my point. There are many levels from Deschamps' stuff to progressive football. And of those many levels, moving up a level or two wouldn't hurt.
Toddy, you're a very naughty boy...

Spain were one of the most boring teams I've ever had the displeasure to watch. Sucked the fun out of each and every game they were involved in.
Spain of 2010 and 2012 were one of the best team I've ever watched. After Iniesta, Alonso, Xavi and co. left, yes, they became the most boring team of the world probably, as they stick to the tactics of have the possession but lost most of their creative players, then the games were just them passing the ball with no purpose for 90 minutes whitout creating any chance.

Spain of 2010 and 2012 were one of the best team I've ever watched. After Iniesta, Alonso, Xavi and co. left, yes, they became the most boring team of the world probably, as they stick to the tactics of have the possession but lost most of their creative players, then the games were just them passing the ball with no purpose for 90 minutes whitout creating any chance.

Spain in 2010 won every single one of their knockout games 1-0, including the final. They were so mindnumbingly boring to watch. No penetration or speed to any of their play, simply too many players who were good at retaining possession and grinding teams down. They were hugely effective for sure (and actually levels above other teams in terms of talent, unlike this overrated French bunch) but not an entertaining side. One of the best? Sure, in terms of pure effectiveness. In terms of love of the game, if you were to show that to a non-football fan they'd be baffled as to why anyone watches the sport.

I think it would have been interesting to see those Spain teams with a quality finisher on them instead of Torres, Pedro, Llorente being their forwards.

Maybe it wouldn't have changed much because I don't think those Barca teams ever really had a traditional striker/finisher so maybe if they had a guy like that they would have just kept passing around the MF and ignored them or not even played them.

I think it would have been interesting to see those Spain teams with a quality finisher on them instead of Torres, Pedro, Llorente being their forwards.

Maybe it wouldn't have changed much because I don't think those Barca teams ever really had a traditional striker/finisher so maybe if they had a guy like that they would have just kept passing around the MF and ignored them or not even played them.

Spain 2010 had David Villa spearheading their attack and Fernando Torres on the bench, although his decline may have begun by then. They were just dull and regularly played a suffocating midfield with Xabi Alonso and Busquets both in there.

"It was strange in January to send four on loan, and sell one player," Conte said ahead of Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round tie at home to Brighton. "It means maybe you have to understand that there were some mistakes in the past. "Because usually you have to buy players to reinforce your team. But if you send away players on loan you bought in the last two or three years, it means maybe you did something wrong in the past. "Honestly, before arriving at Tottenham, to read the list of players you have in the squad, I considered all the players are important, no? "Because Ndombele we paid a lot for and it was the same for Lo Celso and Gil. Then only when you’re in the situation, you understand very well which is the best solution for the club and for the players in this moment. "For sure, to lose four players in January, I repeat is not normal. We shared the decision with the club and the players. But I repeat, it means something wrong happened in the past. Usually you buy players to reinforce your team, you don't lose players after one, two or three years. For this reason, we have to pay more attention in the future when we go in the market about the choice of the players. It becomes of fundamental importance if we want to reinforce the quality of the team. Otherwise, when you go to reinforce the quality of your team, you drop the quality of your team. "We know very well there are many teams ahead of us. To catch up with them we need time and patience to work hard. Especially in the transfer market, we have to make not big mistakes. Because now – I repeat – there are many teams who started before us and they stay ahead of us. If we want to reduce this gap, the mistakes must be minimum in every aspect. On the pitch, outside the pitch. This is my vision, my thoughts."
That doesn't sound like a manager contemplating leaving.

Spain in 2010 won every single one of their knockout games 1-0, including the final. They were so mindnumbingly boring to watch. No penetration or speed to any of their play, simply too many players who were good at retaining possession and grinding teams down. They were hugely effective for sure (and actually levels above other teams in terms of talent, unlike this overrated French bunch) but not an entertaining side. One of the best? Sure, in terms of pure effectiveness. In terms of love of the game, if you were to show that to a non-football fan they'd be baffled as to why anyone watches the sport.
Agreed, watching that spanish team was like watching handball if you remove the passivity warning.

A la Man City

Bore off you dullards, tactical fouls, strangling possession, no risk snoozeball

Sounds like a warning shot to me, we only buy players that will improve the team not two bit players from Wolves to fill a space.

Not to me, we had this when people were trying to decipher Poch's quotes when they thought it was a warning to the board and people were worried that he'd leave...Conte was asked a question and he gave an honest answer - end of...context is key.

A la Man City

Bore off you dullards, tactical fouls, strangling possession, no risk snoozeball

Similar kind of deal but City are definitely easier on the eye than that Spain side were. I can watch a City game without falling asleep at least. Spain were a City or Barcelona without any of the exciting, direct wide play. It was a bunch of press resistant technically brilliant midfielders hogging the ball all game.

The total opposite of the kind of football I enjoy. Give me Klopp's Dortmund any day of the week over snoreball.

Back
Top Bottom