Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton | Wednesday 9 Feb | 19:45 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were shite last night but you have to give credit to Southampton, they played a sublime match. Probably the best they’ve played since Poch left them. They threatened to do it in the away game and it was only the red card that stopped us getting a hiding that day.

I think a lot of fans are not really listening to what Conte says about the team. They get too carried away with our position in the table and the games in hand. The team lacks personality, lacks quality, is prone to mistakes and becomes nervous too quickly, like he keeps saying, we have had to struggle in every single game we’ve played. Even against Leeds, Norwich, Brentford at home, we struggled a lot. We lost to Mura. We nearly shat the bed at home to Morecambe.

To reach top 4 with this team will probably be the biggest achievement in Conte’s career, the team is just deficient in so many areas. We have players who work hard but the physical, technical and mental limits are clear for all to see. Only Conte’s magic can take us into 4th place.

That comes down to lack of leadership, someone should be pointing out that there are runners behind men, pretty obvious we miss dier for stuff like this.
Winks points at others but doesn’t do anything himself other than hide

There’s no way this side makes top 4. Really that simple. Just too weak in too many areas and that’s before you address the mentality within the club.

This reddit thread has some good thoughts about the second goal. Basically the whole team fucked up defending but Kulu really fucked up

Decent analysis considering r/coys is the home of Americans who just started following football all of two years ago (did I say years? Meant weeks) and only decided to follow it because every time they try and watch NBC in the morning on the weekend there was a match on

Yeah sustained crapness. He wasn't alone mind. But we can't cover him up till seasons end coach's will be wise to it.
I just don’t think top four was ever really on the cards. We had a good bounce after Conte arrived, which coincided with a run of really winnable fixtures. Then, as usual we all get excited about top four, and ‘games in hand’ while failing to pay any attention to the fact that you actually have to win those games in hand for them to mean anything.

I will always support the team but are we one of the best four teams in the land, right now? No, not even close.
Seeing those two in action is like dumb and dumber
?
Let’s be fair, neither of them really qualifies for the title of ‘Best’ in a competition between themselves. They were both absolutely piss poor.

I just wish we had two of Bentancur so we could stick these two on the bench.
Or a Skipp.

I hate to say this, in fact I really hate to say this but this team needs a Roy Keane as captain to drive the players on the pitch. Needs a really strong hand out there on the field of play, in the middle.

This reddit thread has some good thoughts about the second goal. Basically the whole team fucked up defending but Kulu really fucked up

Romero has to lead the line much, much better. First, he leaves his man, so Sanch has to slide over to pick him up...but by doing that he abandons his own man...and that trickles down to poor Emerson, who's now got 2, even 3 as Kulu has absolutely no clue as to who he should be marking.

Second, Romero doesn't even seem to attempt to correct the situation. Roddy doesn't cover himself in glory either with his half-arsed attempt at stopping the cross from coming in...same with Sonny on 3rd.

But the worst is, you make that same mistake again not even 2 mins later.

We're talking about seasoned pros making u15 errors. That's just shocking all round

As for my overall thoughts on last night's game, I'm glad I didn't post in the heat of the moment cause there sure as hell would've been a lot of cursing!!

Having watched the game again, I still feel real frustrated and mad. So'ton played terrific and definitely deserved the 3 points, but where were we? We just didn't turn up. Period. And that's what angers me the most. How can you not give 100% when it's such a statement game, such an opp to show Woolwich, Utd and West Ham that we mean business?! That's downright disgraceful.

Yes, sure, there are 17 games left and as bonaspur23 I think it was who rightly pointed it out, still plenty opps to secure that Top 4. Gotta stay positive and all that, but if we play other games with the same mindset we did last night's, man that's gonna be a real challenge. We're literally shooting ourselves in the foot...again!

I really like what Hassenhutl is doing at So'ton, and man how good is JWP, but had we brought our A game to the pitch, there's no way we weren't bagging a win.

Let's hope Antonio (who was at fault too) gave them a monster bollocking and that they show a totally different attitude vs Wolves...but I really wouldn't be surprised if we played another shocker.

Last edited:
Our fans are melting. Last night is not the be all and end all, nor were our good performances vs Brighton, Leicester.

United aren't very good given what they've spent, Woolwich and West Ham are decent on their day. We're not a great amount better or worse than any of them. Top four is attainable, we have a great coach, some excellent players, some who can waver between 2 and 8/10 depending on which way the wind blows. For some people the last game is the only one that's ever been played.

I don't know what's going to happen, nor does anybody else, but I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of the season and avoid all this aching over Emerson and Harry Winks.

Our fans are melting. Last night is not the be all and end all, nor were our good performances vs Brighton, Leicester.

United aren't very good given what they've spent, Woolwich and West Ham are decent on their day. We're not a great amount better or worse than any of them. Top four is attainable, we have a great coach, some excellent players, some who can waver between 2 and 8/10 depending on which way the wind blows. For some people the last game is the only one that's ever been played.

I don't know what's going to happen, nor does anybody else, but I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of the season and avoid all this aching over Emerson and Harry Winks.

Our fixtures are what make top four unattainable, not the strength of our rivals. This team doesn't go away to hard grounds and pick up points with any consistency. After Wolves (another hard game) we go away to the Etihad, Burnley and Leeds. One almost guaranteed loss and two tough grounds vs teams picking up form and who are fighting for their lives.

We also go to Anfield, OT and Villa. I just don't back this team to go to these places and win. This is an opinion I've had for some time, so it's not melting at all. I thought top four was going to be incredibly tough before Southampton, now it becomes even harder. We needed a miracle to get the win against Leicester, that's a once in a season deal.

It was a pretty dreadful performance all around no doubt about that. Bad games do happen, players and coach’s are human believe it or not. How many league games has Conte lost since joining? United just drew against Burnley. We are 4 points off top 4. I’m upsets as well, but the season is far from over.

Back
Top Bottom