Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are in a horrible limbo:

Big enough to have expectation and entitlement that can soon turn toxic, yet not big enough to compete with the elites in terms of players.

We might have to go backwards before we go forward, like when we went down then bounced back with Burtenshaw. We certainly won't jump up a level with Levy in charge.
That isn't even an issue really, it doesn't matter that we can't beat City, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern or whoever to a signing, the problem is that clubs like Brighton, West Ham, Villa, Wolves, Newcastle (now) etc sign players that would improve us and we just sit back and wait for deadline day in the hope of signing some of the scraps that the "elite" clubs have left on the table...

4 richer clubs in England. Not 5. And the source (Swiss ramble) is a very reputable one. No salt required.

Ok, maybe we shouldn't expect to match City or Chelsea etc...

But even taking your case on board, the fact that since 2000 a club of our wealth, AND history, has entered into some 79 competitions, domestic and European, and won ONE, is a staggering failure whichever metric you choose to use.
Realistically there are now 5 PL clubs richer than Spurs, since the Newcastle takeover.

But yes, the trophy haul is a complete failure.

Yes, we will win a trophy again - big caveat - IF ENIC fuck off.

Might be the league cup or an ECL trophy but we will.

Whether that's in my lifetime or not remains to be seen :(

In very recent years we have been extremely close on a number of occasions. We could have even won the big one, the European Championship.
All it needed was for the players to step up. And they didn’t.
Would have also helped if the coaches had had the sense to remind their charges not to wave their arms about in the penalty area.

But we were sooo close. In very recent times.

In very recent years we have been extremely close on a number of occasions. We could have even won the big one, the European Championship.
All it needed was for the players to step up. And they didn’t.
Would have also helped if the coaches had had the sense to remind their charges not to wave their arms about in the penalty area.

But we were sooo close. In very recent times.

“We could have even won the big one, the European Championship.”

Would have made us legends like these guys……….

CLW1nJrWcAAiiZr.jpg

That isn't even an issue really, it doesn't matter that we can't beat City, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern or whoever to a signing, the problem is that clubs like Brighton, West Ham, Villa, Wolves, Newcastle (now) etc sign players that would improve us and we just sit back and wait for deadline day in the hope of signing some of the scraps that the "elite" clubs have left on the table...
Do Brighton, West Ham, Villa, Wolves and Newcastle win trophies?

I still haven’t emotionally dealt with that image of our team walking out in the CL final past the trophy on that little table, with one one blue ribbon on one side. We were so close…..and now we’re so far away….

dramatic-cry.gif

I still haven’t emotionally dealt with that image of our team walking out in the CL final past the trophy on that little table, with one one blue ribbon on one side. We were so close…..and now we’re so far away….

dramatic-cry.gif
2 and a half years later and I'm still sat here waiting for us to mount our siege on the Liverpool goal, 1-0 down in a Final from the 30th second, it's bound to happen sooner or later right? RIGHT??

Giant clubs trade off their name to make money on average payers - we got conned.
We did, and if we weren't so concerned with maintaining our perceived image as a big club we could have signed someone more suited to our actual needs on the field, instead of wasting 25m on a Barca reserve.

"Plays" for Barcelona - Check
Brazilian - Check
Good at football - 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Struggling to create anything and we play 7 defense minded players.

I get playing it against the likes of City, but other than that it can fuck off.

I fucking HATE 3 at the back.

Good point, though I thought he was ok there in a back 3 (which I hate)

and I hate 3 at the back

I'm not happy. I fucking HATE 3 at the back

I hate 3 at the back. I might have mentioned it once, think I got away with it.

I've been thinking about this 3 at the back, which I hate.
7pm: Team sheet. "I FUCKING HATE 3 AT THE BACK

Now you know why I fucking HATE 3 atb.

Hampers our all ready limited creativity and we still can't defend with 5 defenders and 2 DMs, if you could call them that.
2) I hate 3 at the back.

Carry on.

I fucking hate 3 at the back.

This is a much dis-proven myth though, innit.... It just sounds 'good' cos Levy got a bit of a media rep from the VDV deal.

Just look at our last 3 summers..... Deals have been spread throughout the window.

You tell me; how many deadline day deals have been done in the last 3 years?

In fact, someone crunched the numbers a couple of years ago and less than 20% (15%-ish iirc) of our total purchases under Levy came on the last day.

btw, who are these Brighton players that were no-brainers for us that we let slide? ......WH? Lamptey was never available to us being a Chav... Bissouma & Soucek were simply a result of good scouting.

VIlla only got Coutinho due to the 'buddy-system'; his agent made that quite clear.

...Wolves?

Last edited:

I get playing it against the likes of City, but other than that it can fuck off.
I am not a big fan either, and it only works if the WBs are effective, which ours are about 1 game in 3. I'd bin it off and routinely go 4-2-3-1 until we get new WBs in.

Typical how Chelsea could finally fall by the wayside and now Newcastle will take their place. I honestly think we are cursed. Think how many more Champions League matches, finals and probably trophies we would have had Man City and Chelsea not fucked the last 2 decades for us.

As much as I blame ENIC for a lot of mismanagement and for their faith in an obviously failing FFP system (one of which we probably wouldn't have a new stadium without, ENIC only built it so we could stay legally within that) they must be as pissed off as much as us with the financially doped clubs. Obviously it would have been a completely different story had Lewis acted like them. He could have, he's got enough money.

I think it works when you have fantastic full-backs and great centre midfielders. We have neither so don't know why we persist with it either.

Back
Top Bottom