Middlesbrough v Tottenham Hotspur, FA Cup 5th Round, Riverside Stadium, Tuesday 1st March 2022 at 19:55 GMT, LIVE on BBC1

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We’ll score goals if we have a better foothold in the game. We’re ceding territory and possession because of this setup.

It’s also clearly not his preferred formation for us. He’s rarely played it so far, and the transfer activity shows a clear preference for 343 IMO.

Quite simply I don’t believe we lose to Burnley or tonight if we play a 352.
His been playing a 2 since he came. Only in a few games his played a 3 and then we played well. However he doesn’t want to do it. I still don’t get his reluctance to give anyone else a game. He seems outcast players as well which I think is happening to reg.

3-5-2 does nothing to change this game if we have the same players.

It isn't some magical solution that changes our players from shit to good. The problem today was the shit players not a change from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 and I say that as someone who very much prefers the 3-5-2.
Same players who beat city and Leeds largely

Those players played as near as damn it every minute on Saturday in an high energy game (Leeds may be shite but you have to give absolutely everything) the same XI had to do the same again tonight 2 days later (if this game was played in Thursday I’d fancy us to win) the ridiculously small squad (for one of the supposedly best teams in England ) which meant zero rotation is 100% on levy
Oh come on you saying they can play again 4 days later? They should still have enough left in the tank to see if boro if they had the right attitude and passion. Sitting back and chasing the ball prbly doesn’t help. Plus how many boro players played Saturday.

What more do you need? He has lost to NS even Nuno beat them and now to boro. You telling me we don’t have enough quality to beat these teams? Never mind beat them we hardly laid a glove on boro last night and let them look they were the PL side. Even my brother said why are we playing like this v boro.

We lose to lower teams all the time under all of our managers.

Lost to Vitese under Nuno, Dynamo Zagreb with a 2 goal advantage under Jose, lost to Colchester under Poch.

The players are crap what I want is to see what he does when he has options. There is nothing that he could have changed as a manager that would have produced a better performance from our shit players.

I knew we were gonna get beat when Romero was walking with the ball at times.

Slow play doesn't suit us. We need to move it quickly. Too many times last night we made the inexplicable choice to slow things down.

It really pisses me off.
Agreed I was saying sane thing. We basically do nothing fir most of the game. The first half might as well not have happened from a spurs angle. We did bugger all except few odd moments. This isn’t the first time we have done this. We do it most games just piss around with the ball rolling it around at snail pace going nowhere slow and wasting minutes. We only play with some energy and zip when go behind.

Doherty was dreadful which invalidates this post entirely.

Why did Doherty get into more goal scoring positions that Kane? Why did Doherty have more touches in the opposition half that Kane?

Of course, not suggesting that Doherty was great or indeed better than Kane - but Kane is not performing at the level we require. He's losing challenges, not making runs and looking lacklustre.

The fact that Kane 'turned it on' vs City is an indication of his intentions.

So many fans putting the blame on Conte tonight.... Look at the bench first, it's piss poor.
How about he change the bloody formation and spring a surprise every now and then? He’s so predictable ffs. Look at Wilder doing wonders with Boro, the way they’re playing. Do you mean to tell me they have better players than Spurs?

Conte needs to wake up. He’s being given a pass here.

Why did Doherty get into more goal scoring positions that Kane? Why did Doherty have more touches in the opposition half that Kane?

Of course, not suggesting that Doherty was great or indeed better than Kane - but Kane is not performing at the level we require. He's losing challenges, not making runs and looking lacklustre.

The fact that Kane 'turned it on' vs City is an indication of his intentions.
Because Kane can’t pass to Kane.

Touches in opposition half means nothing comparing a right back to striker. Of course the right back will have touches passing the ball around the back.

Getting into good positions is laughable at a wing back position. The whole point of wing backs is that they will be in open positions.

With analysis like that, I have to wonder how well you know the game.

Because Kane can’t pass to Kane.

Touches in opposition half means nothing comparing a right back to striker. Of course the right back will have touches passing the ball around the back.

Getting into good positions is laughable at a wing back position. The whole point of wing backs is that they will be in open positions.

With analysis like that, I have to wonder how well you know the game.

And the whole point of a striker is to...strike.

Kane only touched the ball once in the opposition box in 120 minutes.

Son and Kane's movement was static and when they were given the ball they lost it - 26 times in fact. More than every other player on the pitch combined.

And the whole point of a striker is to...strike.

Kane only touched the ball once in the opposition box in 120 minutes.

Son and Kane's movement was static and when they were given the ball they lost it - 26 times in fact. More than every other player on the pitch combined.
They didn’t play well. Same as Doherty. Thats the only point I was making. Was doherty abnormally poor? No because this is pretty much his standard. Kane and son were abnormally poor but they can’t carry the team every game.

Oh come on you saying they can play again 4 days later? They should still have enough left in the tank to see if boro if they had the right attitude and passion. Sitting back and chasing the ball prbly doesn’t help. Plus how many boro players played Saturday.
Why else would Kane who was majestic against city and Leeds be so poor against boro? The effort was the same so what was different? I believe it was 100% down to fatigue - don’t give me the we’re not trying or didn’t care or were too cocky bullshit. These players want to win things the effort was 100% you could see that at the final whistle.

The squad is too small though you could argue why when 3-0 up with 20/30 minutes left against Leeds conte didn’t take Kane and son off ? Though of course we would not have seen the marvellous 4th goal for the Kane/son combo!
4 northern away games in the space of 11 days including the atrocious conditions at turf moor - bloody hell im knackered and I didn’t play a single minute!

We were poor, they were good, thought Johnny Howson was outstanding tbh. McNair (who asked to leave United btw) and Fry were both really good at the back.

Kulu was brutal first half and Sonny was very poor and when those two aren't at it, Harry is feeding off scraps as the squad have little creativity somehow after our awesome, 6 out of 10 at least etc. January window.

Sessegnon is nowhere near good enough btw.

Why else would Kane who was majestic against city and Leeds be so poor against boro? The effort was the same so what was different? I believe it was 100% down to fatigue - don’t give me the we’re not trying or didn’t care or were too cocky bullshit. These players want to win things the effort was 100% you could see that at the final whistle.

The squad is too small though you could argue why when 3-0 up with 20/30 minutes left against Leeds conte didn’t take Kane and son off ? Though of course we would not have seen the marvellous 4th goal for the Kane/son combo!
4 northern away games in the space of 11 days including the atrocious conditions at turf moor - bloody hell im knackered and I didn’t play a single minute!

Middlesbrough played 4 days before the game, same as us. They've also played 8 more league games than us this season. Not like we've had European football as an issue for a while either. They're also playing in a brutal league, we strolled to a 4-0 win over Leeds whereas they lost 3-2 to Barnsley. Every game in the championship is a slog.

If it's an excuse for us, it's an excuse for them. Except they out pressed us all game. It's one thing looking sad at the end of the final whistle, it's another to get stuck in to a battle against a team who are giving everything and fighting for every loose ball. Our players weren't up to that challenge, they didn't fancy it enough, and we lost because of it.

imagine being 30 or younger
I Cant Classic Film GIF by Warner Archive

Don't buy that explanation.

The following non-oligarch/sheikh sides have won domestic cups since the 90's
Leicester
Portsmouth
Wigan Athletic
Woolwich
Blackburn Rovers
Middlesborough
Birmingham City
Swansea City

We can and should be winning domestic cups, the thing holding us back is ENIC.

And they will continue to hold us back while apologists make excuses for them

And 3 of them relegated in the season they won the cup.

Middlesbrough played 4 days before the game, same as us. They've also played 8 more league games than us this season. Not like we've had European football as an issue for a while either. They're also playing in a brutal league, we strolled to a 4-0 win over Leeds whereas they lost 3-2 to Barnsley. Every game in the championship is a slog.

If it's an excuse for us, it's an excuse for them. Except they out pressed us all game. It's one thing looking sad at the end of the final whistle, it's another to get stuck in to a battle against a team who are giving everything and fighting for every loose ball. Our players weren't up to that challenge, they didn't fancy it enough, and we lost because of it.
You seriously think the Leeds game was a stroll? I’d rather be away to a team bottom of the championship and only half hour down the road than our trip to Leeds. Middlesbrough lost that game so not sure how much they exerted themselves. The champ may be a slog but the tempo and intensity of the prem is on a different level. Boro deserved the win just observing given the lack of rotation what a heavy work load our players had in the previous 11 days and though we matched biros desire and effort we lacked their energy

He wasn’t poor against Boro.

Back
Top Bottom