Brighton (H) - Saturday (16th April) 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their keeper should have been booked for time wasting early in the second half. I don’t think the time wasting made a difference to the result, but it was weak by the referee.

Radio comms: "If it was later in the game he'd have been booked for time-wasting"

FFS, why do so many rules get re-interpreted by gut-less refs..... Time wasting only has an impact on the clock if it's done after a certain point in the game???? .....Really???

TBH, he's got his own charge-list to answer......

Nothing the manager did today even remotely explains or justifies the total lack of energy/effort on show. There were some decisions I wouldn't disagree with (although, what you gonna do when the right backs you have are doherty/emerson and the former is injured, and your game changing midfielder is Winks) but at the heart of it that defeat was down to a total lack of any desire to win the game from the players.

Nothing the manager did today even remotely explains or justifies the total lack of energy/effort on show. There were some decisions I wouldn't disagree with (although, what you gonna do when the right backs you have are doherty/emerson and the former is injured, and your game changing midfielder is Winks) but at the heart of it that defeat was down to a total lack of any desire to win the game from the players.
shite bench. only bergwijn feels you with any hope

Can't believe I got up at 06:30 for that. Pathetic display. At least the Arse has lost too.

Royal is such a downgrade. Never thought I would be writing that a few months ago...

I think the manager and the players got too cocky. Despite the Woolwich result they underestimated Brighton. Very poor.
Harry casually aiming a weak effort at the Brighton goal in the first minutes summed up the whole thing to me.
No harm done. We need to beat Brentford and now we won't think they are "easy."
I hope.

I think the manager and the players got too cocky. Despite the Woolwich result they underestimated Brighton. Very poor.
Harry casually aiming a weak effort at the Brighton goal in the first minutes summed up the whole thing to me.
I hope.

I'd accept that but it wasn't even a 'cocky' performance to me, aside from the shot at the start. It was just a totally dead one. If somebody told me the whole team had been out the night before and were severely hungover I'd immediately believe them.

Zombie passing in midfield, no pressing even after they surely had a bollocking at HT, late in the game when it was 0-0 and you'd expect us to be in panic mode our players seemed to just be stuck in a trance watching them pass it about. Bizarre.

Some random thoughts on the game.

1. More than a bad day at the office. This would have energized United and should have energized Woolwich in a week where their fixtures could easily have buried them. United were poor today and have been kept in the race single-handedly by Ronaldo. It’s what great players do.

2. Every match going forward is both winnable and lose able.

3. This was the new signings worst performances since they became starters. I guess we can’t expect them to be match-winners every week.

4. I can’t understand why Emerson gets all the criticism when Reggie is just as bad. I’ll be happy for Madrid to activate his buyback clause but I don’t think they will (at the clause price).

5. Brighton were really efficient in their press today and had more energy than we did.

6. I was just saying to the guy sitting next to me how tidy a player Trossard (sp?) was when the bastard proved it for me.

Ah well. Onward and Upward.

4. I can’t understand why Emerson gets all the criticism when Reggie is just as bad. I’ll be happy for Madrid to activate his buyback clause but I don’t think they will (at the clause price).

Yeah I think we can pretty much guarantee at this point that Madrid will not be activating that clause. I've only seen him a few times this season but Ferland Mendy looks ten times the player. Currently I'm not even sure Reguilon's good enough to play for us, let alone the most successful club in world football.

I was close to Hugo throughout the second half. His frustration at our performance was palpable. Which leads me to wonder, once more, why we haven't got an outfield captain who can actually influence attitudes on the pitch - because poor old Hugo can't, from his position. We needed a strong character to give his teammates a kick up the arse today.

Spurs (at home) get worse refereeing than Brighton (away) 16 fouls to 10 according to Craig Pawson. I'm assuming Spurs are a really dirty team and Brighton are just average in physicality.

Must be true coz the Premier League and the FA are known to be so honest and traustworthy, you don't even have to question how VAR works, just believe in the rulers of football in England and you can rest assured.
I truly love you, Gobbygonk. I really do.

I was close to Hugo throughout the second half. His frustration at our performance was palpable. Which leads me to wonder, once more, why we haven't got an outfield captain who can actually influence attitudes on the pitch - because poor old Hugo can't, from his position. We needed a strong character to give his teammates a kick up the arse today.

Isn’t Harry (Kane, not Winks) supposed to be his assistant?

I hope.
Having just watched motd I tend to agree - just as tge teams are about to kick off the camera pans to a very relaxed conte sat on his bench with a big relaxed confident grin on his face - could be wrong but I don’t think he is normally so relaxed at kick off

Nothing the manager did today even remotely explains or justifies the total lack of energy/effort on show.

........But isn't Conte supposed to be some psycho ass-kicker?

(Just so we're clear; not defending the players btw.)

He can't get a reaction pre-game OR at HT?

(Did giving the players time off backfire? Who's to say......)

There were some decisions I wouldn't disagree with (although, what you gonna do when the right backs you have are doherty/emerson and the former is injured,

If Emerson is as bleak as most here think he is; then Sess, Berg or Lucas.......?

(We've got a season to finish and our target is still within our grasp; we can't just sit in a corner and suck our thumbs over Doherty...... Again, I want the fabled bad-ass Conte!)

and your game changing midfielder is Winks) but at the heart of it that defeat was down to a total lack of any desire to win the game from the players.

(See above re: motivation)

Or when it's not working...... Go 352, 433 or 4321.

The average bench (not just ours) has lesser players on it; so like-for-like subs are never likely to solve much unless you're merely attempting to replace tired players.

Force the issue.... Be brave..... Be that bad-ass.

Could have ended the game with:

Son / Kane / Kulu
Berg / Hoj / Winks / Lucas
Davies / Dier / Rom

Son / Kane
Berg / Hoj / Winks / Bcur / Lucas
Davies / Dier / Rom

Kane
Son / Kulu / Berg
Hoj / Winks
Davies / Dier / Rom / Emerson

Son / Kane / Lucas / Berg
Hoj / Winks
Davies / Dier / Rom / Emerson

Son / Kane / Berg
Hoj / Winks / Bcur
Reg / Dier / Rom / Emerson

(+ Add in Sess if and where you prefer.)

Back
Top Bottom