Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How?

By winning less trophies and getting lower league finishes?
I don’t know, and frankly I don’t care. I despise that man to his core and he should be in jail for crimes against the beautiful game. Allow me my agenda.

Actually, LVG left a few young pieces who were in prime position to improve (Lingard, Martial, Rashford), Daley Blind was another very good player who Mourinho discarded.

There’s also this false impression that when Mourinho came when they were miles behind City; he wasn’t, LVG & Pellegrini finished on the same points and both won a cup in 2016.

He had the most expensive team of all time and ended up miles behind Guardiola, because Guardiola has been a far superior manager/coach in the last 6 years

I don’t know, and frankly I don’t care. I despise that man to his core and he should be in jail for crimes against the beautiful game. Allow me my agenda.

Actually, LVG left a few young pieces who were in prime position to improve (Lingard, Martial, Rashford), Daley Blind was another very good player who Mourinho discarded.

There’s also this false impression that when Mourinho came when they were miles behind City; he wasn’t, LVG & Pellegrini finished on the same points and both won a cup in 2016.

He had the most expensive team of all time and ended up miles behind Guardiola, because Guardiola has been a far superior manager/coach in the last 6 years

I've got no dog in the fight.... He's gone and I was over him as quick as it happened. It's just very tiresome seeing so much false-narrative banded about in the name of sticking it to him.

Case in point..... Why are you citing the last 6 years of Guardiola being superior when Jose left United 3 1/2 years ago?

(Also see that poxy win % chart which only goes to serve convenience.)

Same as the Van Gaal fluff.... He was shit.

13/14 - Utd. 7th / City 1st
14/15 - Utd. 4h / City 2nd <<< Jose won the EPL & manager of the year
15/16 - Utd. 5th / City 4th <<< Pellegrini sacked!
16/17 - Utd. 6th / City 3rd
17/18 - Utd 2nd / City 1st <<< Utd highest finish since Fergie.

LVG spent (n) in 2 full seasons: £190m
JM spent (n) in 2 full seasons: £250m

......Hardly the oceanic difference you painted it as. Especially as the market went mental in 2017 post Neymar!

LVG also had high grade youngsters.

"Most expensive team of all time"? .........
I doubt very much the truth props that claim up.

Why can't peeps just call him a cunt and give up pretending there's an objective discussion going on.

I've got no dog in the fight.... He's gone and I was over him as quick as it happened. It's just very tiresome seeing so much false-narrative banded about in the name of sticking it to him.

Case in point..... Why are you citing the last 6 years of Guardiola being superior when Jose left United 3 1/2 years ago?

......Hardly the oceanic difference you painted it as. Especially as the market went mental in 2017 post Neymar!

Why can't peeps just call him a cunt and give up pretending there's an objective discussion going on.

People out here are having dishonest arguments

Money spent is not equal to transfer fee. Alexis Sanchez on a free foster a fortune and hurt them for years.

Obviously I gave better things to do.. but in general using transfer fees to measure United’s spending is not super accurate as they usually overpay on wages… especially for big transfers

Ah, well...... Perhaps someone else will be prepared to quantify the claim of "Most expensive team of all time".

Oh and before we re-re-re-dig up the old rock; but when you scrutinise the pre and post Jose history of the following players; the "Jose screwed them" narrative doesn't stack up either:

KDB
Salah
Shaw
Lingard
Pogba
Martial
Rashford.

Never liked the guy, never wanted him at the club, though was a part of me watching his success elsewhere that was a little envious.
Levy scratched his Mourinho itch and drew blood - but maybe that's not the whole story.

Honestly I think he came to the club at possibly the worst time for any managerial appointment I remember. We weren't an optimistic team on the rise, we had been shocking for a long time in the league and added to that the Champions League final defeat massively worked against us - but mentally the team and our fans thought we were better than we were. We had players that had played to a really high level before that were no longer at that level, and we as supporters also had to slowly accept that and move on from them.
He inherited a squad he liked the look of, like a lot of fans - based on previous levels and performances. But we all know what happened and Mourinho had to handle that 'painful' transition.
Players like Rose, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Aurier, Winks, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Dele, Ndombele - at the time probably hard if not impossible to axe them all.
At the time I can understand reasons for trying to persevere with most of those names.

Then Covid. It's hard to say what difference fans and regular fixture scheduling could have had - but I don't think all our results would have been the same in a non Covid parallel universe.

The wrong man at the wrong time for me. Don't think there has ever been a right time for Mourinho at Spurs either, but I do think he has done a decent job at Roma. Problem he has now is that people look at his CV (like him or not) and will say that he should be exceeding expectations of the club. Maybe getting Roma top 4, winning a cup or 2 - because that's the standard he has set himself. Doesn't mean he hasn't done a decent job that most managers would be pretty happy with, and kind of proves his coaching & tactical methods are still relevant in the modern Italian game at least.

As for the cup final.. the most believable reason I have heard is that Levy had a massive cup win bonus for him in his contract, and a scaling contract termination fee based on current league position. So the timing possibly saved us tens of millions. He had to go really, and for Levy to find the most financially viable way to get rid of him is very believable - probably hoping Mason could do a Di Matteo style job where it's on the players to win.. but that doesn't account for Winks getting 90 minutes or Lucas / Lo Celso starting ahead of Bale for example.

A shite era I wish never happened - though I would also concede that very few (if any) managers would have been successful with us during that period of time.

Strangest appointment from Levy.

The early noises were we would back Jose. Then bought Bergwijn, Reguilon, Doherty, Hojbjerg and Rodon. For less than £100m. Jose bought Pogba for similar money at United. Then he had us top of the league…somehow.

Think that Jose saw Levy coming and got paid a few million knowing that he could not win anything and still walk away with a fair bit of cash in his pocket. He couldn’t lose.

Strangest appointment from Levy.

The early noises were we would back Jose. Then bought Bergwijn, Reguilon, Doherty, Hojbjerg and Rodon. For less than £100m. Jose bought Pogba for similar money at United. Then he had us top of the league…somehow.

Think that Jose saw Levy coming and got paid a few million knowing that he could not win anything and still walk away with a fair bit of cash in his pocket. He couldn’t lose.

How could you forget Gedson Fernandes.

Think he has something like a £40m option to buy... hahahaha

That was hardly Tottenham or Mourinho’s fault, hey how many times have draws been made live for cups and we’ve had running commentary posts on hope we get ‘Doncaster’ away or ‘Bolton’ home…..nobody ever asks for ‘away’ at Liverpool, what do people want?
I'm not saying it's anyone's fault. Just stating the facts of the matter, that's all.

We won two football matches against Championship sides, drew another game and won the subsequent penalty shoot-out to get to a final. It's not an incredible achievement, winning the Audi Cup was harder lool.

He was meant to do nothing more than cover for Sissoko whilst he was injured.

You have a better memory than me.

I forgot we even had him!

Just realised - that meant he was rated higher than Ndombele in Mourinho’s mind!!! My god.
:contelol:

Actually strike that thought. A quick Google showed he never started a premier league game. Very strange signing.

Last edited:
He was meant to do nothing more than cover for Sissoko whilst he was injured.

Although we needed cover for Sissoko, this appeared to me like a fear of missing out type of deal.
I find it shocking to think Chelsea or Milan were genuinely interested in a deal with this kind of structure.

Gedson Fernandes joins Tottenham on 18-month loan​

Deal comes with option to buy 21-year-old midfielder for £42.76m (€50m)

Chelsea offered an initial loan deal with an obligation to buy for £55m should Fernandes play at least 50 per cent of games over the 18-month period, while West Ham are thought to have made a similar offer with an obligation to buy for £33m, with a lower percentage of appearances triggering the purchase.

Lyon and AC Milan also made formal offers but Fernandes' preference was a move to the Premier League.

Mourinho was sacked because results and performances had become embarrassing and the dressing room had clearly turned against him. If there was any kind of relationship between him and the players at the end I'm sure he would have been allowed to see out the season. But things were obviously so bad that a change was the only way to start getting better performances.

Nobody can argue that our results and our football were not better when Mason was in charge. We started scoring goals and winning games almost immediately.

Mourinho was sacked because results and performances had become embarrassing and the dressing room had clearly turned against him. If there was any kind of relationship between him and the players at the end I'm sure he would have been allowed to see out the season. But things were obviously so bad that a change was the only way to start getting better performances.

Nobody can argue that our results and our football were not better when Mason was in charge. We started scoring goals and winning games almost immediately.
Sacking Mourinho the week before a cup final was a good decision?

Yes, when you consider the situation at that point

Players hated him, awful unmotivated - relationship breakdown
Week before a cup final...

Lets Go Yes GIF by Bubble Punk

Back
Top Bottom