The Y Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

YIDAKI

A didgeridoo, especially one made by an Australian Aboriginal person using traditional techniques.

Now that would put the cat among the pigeons! Almost got two 'offensive' words in that.

Typically, yidaki have a flared shape meaning that the mouthpiece end of the instrument is slimmer than the bell end. The bore in the neck region is narrow compared to generic didgeridoos, with the bore gradually widening towards the bell.

*snigger*

I feel the main drivers in this are the club and certain people upset that our use of the word dilutes it and detracts from the (genuine) offensiveness of its original meaning.

Of course like most people I don’t like being told what I can or can’t do so I don’t appreciate baddiel et al telling what I can or can’t say to identify myself as a spurs fan I won’t tell him he cannot support Chelsea and sit amongst 40,000 racist antisemite fans every time he goes to a home game (though to be fair to him I doubt he engages in any antisemitic chanting)

Why should we stop using the Y word? When we started using it back in the day because of the antisemitic abuse thrown at us to unify our fan base. Chelsea and west ham have been abusing us for years nothing is ever done about it and the authorities, even now in 'Woke' Britain still let them get away with it. In my opinion, no matter whether your Jewish or not we should continue to sing it until the authorities sort out the knuckle dragging supporters of other clubs. We use the y word as a positive so fuck Baddiel and fuck the media.

The difficulty I see is that you would not use the term on the street or outside the context of the stadium, because it is antisemitic. We all know that the context in the ground, when it's chanted, is not meant to be in any way racist.

Now I don't think it's helpful to put this in the way that 'this is David Baddiel wanting to shut down spurs fans', because if no one else backed his view, he'd be an irrelevance by now.

Now, there are plenty of Jewish people who don't go to football, have no relationship with Spurs or North London, who may have the term 'Yid' used against them in a offensive way.

The nagging issue for me is that we're keeping the term alive by continuing it's use, even with it's positive context, there is a knock on effect outside of our sphere and that's where I have some discomfort, it's not about faux offence from other sets of supporters, because to a great deal of them, it's just a game.

I'm not going to stop anyone else from chanting it or lecture anyone else during a match and I'm pretty sure that it is not illegal the last time the issue was tested, but there is a moral argument that deserves debate.

The difficulty I see is that you would not use the term on the street or outside the context of the stadium, because it is antisemitic. We all know that the context in the ground, when it's chanted, is not meant to be in any way racist.

Now I don't think it's helpful to put this in the way that 'this is David Baddiel wanting to shut down spurs fans', because if no one else backed his view, he'd be an irrelevance by now.

Now, there are plenty of Jewish people who don't go to football, have no relationship with Spurs or North London, who may have the term 'Yid' used against them in a offensive way.

The nagging issue for me is that we're keeping the term alive by continuing it's use, even with it's positive context, there is a knock on effect outside of our sphere and that's where I have some discomfort, it's not about faux offence from other sets of supporters, because to a great deal of them, it's just a game.

I'm not going to stop anyone else from chanting it or lecture anyone else during a match and I'm pretty sure that it is not illegal the last time the issue was tested, but there is a moral argument that deserves debate.
No Chelsea or West Ham supporter should have any say on this. They must have sat there week after week hearing the abuse but chose to be identified with that very same support base?

Last edited:
I WANT it to be banned at WHL so I can finally hang up my DMs without regrets. The sooner the better.
It does feel our era is coming to an end - wouldn’t swap my memories for anything and I’m sure there are good days ahead for spurs fans but it’s a sanitised future when the important thing is being seen to be there rather than enjoying the moment itself - customers rather than fans not for me my fellow yids

No Chelsea or West Ham supporters should have any say on this. They must have sat there week after week hearing the abuse but chose to be identified with that very same support base?
It does still exist but it nowhere near as bad as it used to be and will continue to wane. The demographic of fans attending games is changing.

YIDAKI

A didgeridoo, especially one made by an Australian Aboriginal person using traditional techniques.

Now that would put the cat among the pigeons! Almost got two 'offensive' words in that.
I can't possibly see that getting called racist.
Even the most awake of the woke-ist would need years to shut this one down.

I WANT it to be banned at WHL so I can finally hang up my DMs without regrets. The sooner the better.
I went back on my facebook page the other day, and on one of the football groups someone put a photo up of the gooners in the cage at WHL in 87.It was a debate as to whether they took it(they didn't) or were they put in there(they were).I was there, right next to the bastards. I remember it as if it was yesterday. The whole day at football and match day experience was a 1000% times better than what it is now, for so many reasons.
They are intent on killing what little there is left of the old days. And i am not talking about the rucking

Last edited:
From the latest Trust newsletter.

Y Word: THST position
In the run-up to our home game against Wolves, the Club published a statement on the findings of the focus groups it had held on the so-called Y Word, along with details of its proposed WhY Word campaign. We published our own statement on the same day. We encourage all fans to read both statements carefully.

We took the decision not to provide further comment in order to avoid fuelling the media circus that has surrounded this debate, and some of the subsequent reporting underlined the wisdom of that decision.

For clarity, our position is summarised below:
  • We’ve always said Spurs fans singing the word in a football context isn’t antisemitic.
  • We want to see action taken against the unambiguous antisemitism directed at us.
  • We recognise it’s a controversial subject, which is why we welcome recent efforts to ask fans to think about the use of the word.
  • Any decision must come from the fans, and we should listen especially to our Jewish fans and respect the variety of views they hold on the subject.
  • We don’t believe sanctions are the way forward. We have and will continue to defend our fans from sanction and accusations of antisemitism.
  • The Club has asked for time to reappraise and reassess use of the word. We want to give our members time to do this. So we’re planning on asking a few questions in our End of Season Survey in June and we’ll then agree our next steps once we have that data and a clear steer on how our members feel about the continued use of the word.

If he didn't support one of the most anti semitic clubs in the country, I might have some sympathy in his argument.

Why not look in the mirror and denounce your own ChelhiSsssssssssea scum club, before preaching about the bigger problem.

Yes, anti semitism is a global issue, it always has, and always will be...
but clubs like Chelsea are part of that homegrown problem! Baddeil, a Jewish Chelsea fan, is no better than a Black KKK member!

Charity begins at home....
NAZISALUTE-1-e1581079193404.jpg

chelseascum128.jpg

Back
Top Bottom