The Y Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When I was a Paxton Road season ticket holder, for over a decade, I sat next to a Jewish woman. She mentioned to me, during one of the first home games I attended sitting in my new seat, that she hated the word yid. She would have been in her late fifties at the time and it was the late 90's. She explained that she had been taunted with the word yid as a child.

I am not Jewish.

I never sang the word yid watching Tottenham ever again.

I understand why we sing it. It has generally been an admirable act of solidarity carried out for the right reasons.

I just think that it can never be right for any non Jewish person to chant this word if it offends any Jewish person, under any circumstances.

It is that simple.

I also never sang the songs about Arsene Wenger or Sol Campbell. I often had my 10 year old daughter with me but I wouldn't have sang them in any circumstances to be honest.

I think it is fair to take the pi55 out of footballers, referees, chairmen etc but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

The best chants are funny and not offensive to anyone.

When I was a Paxton Road season ticket holder, for over a decade, I sat next to a Jewish woman. She mentioned to me, during one of the first home games I attended sitting in my new seat, that she hated the word yid. She would have been in her late fifties at the time and it was the late 90's. She explained that she had been taunted with the word yid as a child.

I am not Jewish.

I never sang the word yid watching Tottenham ever again.

I understand why we sing it. It has generally been an admirable act of solidarity carried out for the right reasons.

I just think that it can never be right for any non Jewish person to chant this word if it offends any Jewish person, under any circumstances.

It is that simple.

I also never sang the songs about Arsene Wenger or Sol Campbell. I often had my 10 year old daughter with me but I wouldn't have sang them in any circumstances to be honest.

I think it is fair to take the pi55 out of footballers, referees, chairmen etc but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

The best chants are funny and not offensive to anyone.
I am Jewish and give all our fans permission to use the word.

Be interesting to see how things progress with the use of the yid word now that manor Solomon is in the team and more importantly how he feels about us using the word

If he comes out and says he finds it offensive and rather we didn’t use it that would be enough for me to stop using it.

Be interesting to see how things progress with the use of the yid word now that manor Solomon is in the team and more importantly how he feels about us using the word

If he comes out and says he finds it offensive and rather we didn’t use it that would be enough for me to stop using it.
Good point.

Do we know how Rosenthal felt about it ?

Different times I know but still.

Good point.

Do we know how Rosenthal felt about it ?

Different times I know but still.

...but imagine he says he FUCKING LOVES IT and is proud to be a Yiddo... Then what?
Still won't give Spurs fans license to use it... But we will!

This is a one-way street I fear!

I stopped using it when a friend of mine who is Jewish asked me to because he was uncomfortable with me using it.

If Solomon doesn't enjoy I do hope that the fanbase does respect his wishes.

There are other ways to show solidarity with the club.

Completely forgotten about Bosnich doing that. Reading this part of a match report from the time sounds like last season

“Spurs' drab home performances badly needed an infusion of something heady to offset the sort of football that has made going to White Hart Lane more of an obligation than a pleasure.”
Independent
I commend any fans here who still support spurs after enduring the 90's

So it'll be interesting to see how this plays out on Monday night!!

We see so many Star of David SPURS flags on any given matchday...
but not one Star of David pro-Israel flag!!

(and yes, I know they're the same flag... THAT'S the point!)

I'll just leave this here;
Yiddish, the word "Yid" Yiddish: ייד is neutral or even complimentary, and in Ashkenazi Yiddish-speaking circles it is frequently used to mean simply "fellow," "chap," "buddy," "mate," etc., with no expressed emphasis on Jewishness (although this may be implied by the intra-Jewish context). Plural is יידן [jidn].
In Yiddish, a polite way to address a fellow Jew whose name one does not know is Reb Yid, meaning "Sir." The Yiddish words yiddish or yiddisher (from Middle High German jüdisch) is an adjective derived from the noun Yid, and thus means "Jewish".

The word was stolen FROM us... (Jews, not Spurs fans!)

Then it was completely turned around and spat out at us... (Jews, then Spurs fans!)

It's not about simply reclaiming it, the word was never theirs in the first place...
It's an act of re-re-defining its' ORIGINAL meaning.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna say it, so sorry for any offense caused... But the words Nigger and Paki were NEVER EVER originally used as friendly words...
YID (once upon a time) was!

The N word & P word have very different origins to the Y word
...they are NOT the same thing!

I know there's a Jewish thing and then a Spurs thing... and the two aren't the same thing, but they're linked.

If YIDDO is sung on Monday, it's cos of Spurs... But I fear we'll be thrust into the spotlight of some pro-Israeli support... Which may or may not be the case...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom