Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have stewed this over but that felt like a club that meant something to support today.

That’s worth more than Top4 or trophies. Worth more than big name managers and egos.

Mason is the one.

Give the man the job, make the club bigger than the players again. Make it mean something to come through the academy and be post of something.

Have stewed this over but that felt like a club that meant something to support today.

That’s worth more than Top4 or trophies. Worth more than big name managers and egos.

Mason is the one.

Give the man the job, make the club bigger than the players again. Make it mean something to come through the academy and be post of something.

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Well done for making these players finally press but we need better. And subbing Lucas for Porro who was having an outstanding second half was a big mistake, after that Everton game

Moura is going on a free in the Summer so should not be involved on the field

His head clearly isn’t in it as evidenced by that shocker of a pass for their winner

We came back well from a disastrous start and would thoroughly have deserved a point at least

Certainly persevere with Ryan until the end of the season

Like his spirit

Nah fuck it.

No more of this fake big club stuff.

Dortmund style. Academy kids, young players from all over the world, Mason has something about him. Might take him a season but he’s fucking got something about him.

This is exactly how you end up with an Ole in charge. When the fans get to the breaking point and mere nostalgia becomes incredibly attractive to them & defeats all kinds of logic. The recent record of clubs appointing ex-players is incredibly poor, bar Arteta who still has numerous crap seasons stacked against him. We would have sacked him years ago.

Go after a Nagelsmann or another manager who wants to play high intensity, front-foot football, find the DoF to match and make sensible signings. Relying on nostalgia/a highly emotion led appointment like Mason is NOT the answer to any reasonable question. Do not ruin Mason's career before its even begun with a job he will absolutely not be able to handle, the task faced will be too much for even the most experienced coaches ffs.

Mason is the one.
Are you serious?

We may just as well have stayed at the old WHL and settled in to eternal mid table mediocrity if that's the case!
We're Tottenham Hotspur for fuck sake. Not Crystal Palace or Fulham!

Let's address the reasons why big name managers like Conte and Mourinho and big name players like Kane and Bale all fail to win under ENIC rather than just throw in the fucking towel and lower our expectations.

I thought we were supposed to be growing as a football club, not diminishing

Are you serious?

We may just as well have stayed at the old WHL and settled in to eternal mid table mediocrity if that's the case!

Let's address the reasons why big name managers like Conte and Mourinho and big name players like Kane and Bale all fail to win under ENIC rather than just throw in the fucking towel and lower our expectations.

I'm all good with targeting more of an up & coming coach who gets the fans off their seats again, and targeting the players to suit that. If we have to do another Poch style reboot then so be it, although they better fucking invest in that.

BUT Mason? Fuck. This club can't afford another wasted cycle and people wanna throw in the Ole type appointment based on two games where we went behind but didn't give up? Jesus. I know we've been starved of anything resembling Tottenham this season but let's not turn in to fucking headless chickens.

This is exactly how you end up with an Ole in charge. When the fans get to the breaking point and mere nostalgia becomes incredibly attractive to them & defeats all kinds of logic. The recent record of clubs appointing ex-players is incredibly poor, bar Arteta who still has numerous crap seasons stacked against him. We would have sacked him years ago.

Go after a Nagelsmann or another manager who wants to play high intensity, front-foot football, find the DoF to match and make sensible signings. Relying on nostalgia/a highly emotion led appointment like Mason is NOT the answer to any reasonable question. Do not ruin Mason's career before its even begun with a job he will absolutely not be able to handle, the task faced will be too much for even the most experienced coaches ffs.
Are you serious?

Look,

If it’s Nagelsmann then fine but he isn’t going to give a Fuck about what it means to be Tottenham.

He might be a very good coach and could get us playing good football. I’ll be fine with that.

I’m just saying that’s no different to any of these big clubs with mercenaries in charge.

With Mason you actually have a chance to have someone in the seat who understands what it means to be Spurs.

The reason we all love Poch is because it became his club. He was Spurs.

Barca used to be about something. What it meant to be Barca. They’ve lost it now,

Look,

If it’s Nagelsmann then fine but he isn’t going to give a Fuck about what it means to be Tottenham.

He might be a very good coach and could get us playing good football. I’ll be fine with that.

I’m just saying that’s no different to any of these big clubs with mercenaries in charge.

With Mason you actually have a chance to have someone in the seat who understands what it means to be Spurs.

Barca used to be about something. What it meant to be Barca. They’ve lost it now,

This is just emotions, sorry. It's exactly the same things United fans came out with about Ole and exactly the same crap Chelsea fans used to justify hiring Lampard (x2). And what Liverpool fans were saying before Gerrard embarrassed himself at Villa.

What we need is competence, ambition and structure. Not jobs for the lads because they're Spurs. Knowing what it means to be Tottenham will not equate to results on the pitch, or cohesive football, or attracting top tier talent from around the world.

If just 'loving Spurs' is our criteria, go hire a fan. It'll make his year and he'll thank God every single day he's in the role.

This is just emotions, sorry. It's exactly the same things United fans came out with about Ole and exactly the same crap Chelsea fans used to justify hiring Lampard (x2). And what Liverpool fans were saying before Gerrard embarrassed himself at Villa.

What we need is competence, ambition and structure. Not jobs for the lads because they're Spurs. Knowing what it means to be Tottenham will not equate to results on the pitch, or cohesive football, or attracting top tier talent from around the world.

If just 'loving Spurs' is our criteria, go hire a fan. It'll make his year and he'll thank God every single day he's in the role.
Also, Tuchel, one of those "mercenary managers" who wouldn't have given an iota of a fuck about the Chavs took that squad off Lamps and won the fucking Champions League. I wholeheartedly agree with your post, sentimentality has no place in choosing our next manager.

Also, Tuchel, one of those "mercenary managers" who wouldn't have given an iota of a fuck about the Chavs took that squad off Lamps and won the fucking Champions League. I wholeheartedly agree with your post, sentimentality has no place in choosing our next manager.

.. And Tuchel clearly came to love Chelsea and became close to the club, and vice-versa the fans were mostly very unhappy when he was sacked. Same with us & Poch. That 'love' comes naturally when you have a competent coach doing a good job and getting the club to be entertaining.

I mean christ, Klopp enjoys the adoration of the scousers, he had no connection to the club prior to joining. The idea we need to hire from within to get a coach who understands the club or develops a bond with it is foolishness.

And we need to understand that this is also a business. And if (when) things go South then Levy will have no hesitation in axeing Mason. Same as most of the fans will have no qualms about baying for his blood if we're sat in mid-table. These kind of nostalgic emotions don't last long, United fans hated Ole by the time he got sacked.

I'm praising Mason when I say I want him gone from Tottenham come the summer; he's currently showing that it was stupid to go with Stellini when Conte left but if his managerial promise is ever going to develop then he needs to spread his wings and get a lower league gig.

I don't think being Nagelsmann's assistant would be worthwhile.

Besides I really don't think Danny boy could give it to Mason even if he wanted to, the press are giving us and particularly him both barrels atm and the optics of turning to a 31 yr old with no management experience are fucking awful. It's too soon for Mason and too soon for us.
The media doesn't decide our managerial appointments. That responsibility belongs to our chairman.

I don't think Mason has long enough to make an effective case for the job which is a shame because I think he's the first manager to get the team playing in four years. I don't want him to leave the club because he is a special talent and if he leaves to get managerial experience we run the risk of losing him altogether. I wish we could loan him to clubs like we do with players.

I really enjoyed listening to this podcast:

Mason has the potential to be one of those special voices at the club like Gary Mabbutt or Ledley King that gives everyone a lift whenever they speak. They were more than just players; they were inspirational figures, icons for everything that was good about the club. We haven't had one of those voices for a long time and the club needs one more than ever.

The media doesn't decide our managerial appointments. That responsibility belongs to our chairman.

I don't think Mason has long enough to make an effective case for the job which is a shame because I think he's the first manager to get the team playing in four years. I don't want him to leave the club because he is a special talent and if he leaves to get managerial experience we run the risk of losing him altogether. I wish we could loan him to clubs like we do with players.

I really enjoyed listening to this podcast:

Mason has the potential to be one of those special voices at the club like Gary Mabbutt or Ledley King that gives everyone a lift whenever they speak. They were more than just players; they were inspirational figures, icons for everything that was good about the club. We haven't had one of those voices for a long time and the club needs one more than ever.

I don't really agree with what you've said with regards to, the media doesn't decide our appointments. To some extent, fan sentiment and media scrutiny have decided all of our last 3 managerial appointments. Mourinho was the guy brought to replace Poch because Levy knew Poch was still popular amongst the fanbase and no one really wanted him out when he went, but he was seeing us slip further away from top four with poor results and pulled the trigger thinking he was being a genius bringing in "serial winner" Mourinho. Press coverage and negative fan sentiment drove NES out of the club, and the media narrative was we had to get Conte - another serial winner, but doing it all in the modern era, not 10 or 15 years ago. Again, it's not worked out for us.

Now I think the media and fan sentiment is going to very much guide our next appointment; Mason is suicide for Levy, the fans will be fucked off about giving a 31 year old who we didn't even actually want as a player a job for an aspiring top 4 club, the media will be desparate for him to fuck it badly to fit their "Spursy" narrative and consign us back to being the bitch boys of the top 6, and the media coverage of our manager hunt after Mourinho is something Danny boy will desparately want to avoid from occurring again. The NES appointment put a shitload of heat on him, he may be powerful but he is not invincible, and egotistic to boot, he will hate being booed by the fans, you can literally watch a pattern of reactionary behaviour panning out throughout his entire tenure with the club.

What you're saying is right of course, Danny will decide in the end, but to suggest that he isn't hugely influenced by outside factors like the media and the fans is disingenuous. I'm not writing off Mason from getting to a place where he could be Spurs manager in 5 or 10 years time, but it's literal career suicide for both him and Levy for it to happen now.

I'd also add that some of the football we played under Conte in the first 6 months was very good, especially when Kane, Son and Kulu were all in good form. We delivered some serious pastings in that run up to May. Everton and Norwich 5-0, Leeds and Villa 4-0, and the 3-0 pasting of Woolwich was one of the most complete dominations of them I've ever witnessed, up there with the 5-1.

Really poor decision to give Lucas minutes against a team as good as Liverpool.

Sure he’s a club man and an ok caretaker, but these sorts of decisions are indicative of a lack of better decision making abilities.

As with the last time I look forward to him being relieved of his temporary coaching duties.

Look,

I love Mason. He’s a top lad. But how many games has he coached us for? 9? He’s never even shepherded a lower rung or championship team through a season. He needs to follow the likes of Kompany and prove he can do that first before he takes the reigns at Spurs.

Fortunately for him, there must be teams out there taking notes and seeing that he does have a brain and a heart. If I was a lower league side in search of a young, new manager, I’d be seriously thinking about snapping him up.

I’d love him to come and be our manager one day once he’s run a gauntlet or two successfully elsewhere.

I love Mason. He’s a top lad. But how many games has he coached us for? 9? He’s never even shepherded a lower rung or championship team through a season. He needs to follow the likes of Kompany and prove he can do that first before he takes the reigns at Spurs.

Fortunately for him, there must be teams out there taking notes and seeing that he does have a brain and a heart. If I was a lower league side in search of a young, new manager, I’d be seriously thinking about snapping him up.

I’d love him to come and be our manager one day once he’s run a gauntlet or two successfully elsewhere.

Yeah, I hear all that logic and all that.

Sure the club is bigger than where he is etc etc

But

Football is empty these days. The clubs that win are the old establishment like Liverpool UTD woolwich or they are huge money laundering operations for nation states.

Spurs are neither of those so may as well mean something else. Appointing Mason would take it back to when a club meant something.

I always wondered what would have happened if we had given Chris Hughton the job when Santini came in.
A bit similar in a way, we had a guy with credentials and a lot of history with the club but passed him over for an experiment that went tits up. On the other hand, that's how we ended up with Martin Jol so I guess all's well that ends well.

Exactly.

Let’s appoint a fan, that’s also a fucking talented coach who learned his trade from an all-time great like Jose and Poch. Also spent time as Conte’s assistant atContes request.

Anyway, we get JN, I’ll be ok with it. But we will be missing a chance to head back towards being a football club.

Back
Top Bottom