Tottenham Hotspur v Hull City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CM: Holtby,Paulinho
RW: Lamela
LW: Townsend
CAM : Eriksen

Creativity1.jpg

Bring back Ossie for manager.

I'm starting to think ... so many times us fans (and me too) say that, "Another clean sheet ... Great!"

But ... is it really that great?

I mean, the way AVB has us playing, the hallmark of his tactics ... IS the high line and thus clean sheets.
I'm not surprised anymore of us getting clean sheets. And it is gonna be something that is very common to us.

The bigger concern is that, does this approach hamper the game?
We are not scoring goals. People keep saying let's give them more time.

More time for what? We are literally getting all the time in the world in the game itself.
What we need is to be playing with our strongest team. I dont know when AVB plans to start Lamela. Would it be an easy game or not? FFS, the next 4 games are against considerably more attacking teams (thus stronger). So are we gonna wait till late December or even next year?

Games are won with both goals and clean sheets. The question is which would we rather have?

Agree with much of what you wrote, but we knew Spammers would sit back and had a lineup without a clear DCM (Sandro/Capoue). And what happened? When they attacked us we had no one shielding ahead of the defence and they thrashed us. It's not always straightforward!
Well said, but the point is to realize what we need and when to make a change.
AVB failed to realize that against Wet Spam, but tbf to him he did make a half time sub this time around.

I just dont want AVB to be so strict with his approach.
If there's a need to make a first half sub, then make it. And so on.

I'm starting to think ... so many times us fans (and me too) say that, "Another clean sheet ... Great!"

But ... is it really that great?

I mean, the way AVB has us playing, the hallmark of his tactics ... IS the high line and thus clean sheets.
I'm not surprised anymore of us getting clean sheets. And it is gonna be something that is very common to us.

The bigger concern is that, does this approach hamper the game?
We are not scoring goals. People keep saying let's give them more time.

More time for what? We are literally getting all the time in the world in the game itself.
What we need is to be playing with our strongest team. I dont know when AVB plans to start Lamela. Would it be an easy game or not? FFS, the next 4 games are against considerably more attacking teams (thus stronger). So are we gonna wait till late December or even next year?

Games are won with both goals and clean sheets. The question is which would we rather have?

This is inane. You actually posed the question are clean sheets great? You cannot lose if you do not give up goals. The clean sheet record is very important. We all obviously want more goals including AVB, we just have to get behind them and trust that eventually we will produce goals.

In regards to the strongest team argument, no one has any idea what our strongest side is yet which isn't shocking when you bring in 7 new signings plus two players (Rose and Townsend) who were out on loan last year. There is lot still to be figured out but we haven't done that yet and are still winning.

AAAAH Another nerve racking game, won with the help of some divine intervention, at least I can go on the forums and read/share some of the joy of a win!!!!!! Hmm wait a moment what's this about an impending apocalypse? Hmm this guy claims the football is searing holes in his retinas... Hmm this guy seems to be having a hernia... Hmm some armchair critics who seems to have found the solution to football aids... Hmm statistics... Hmm someone harking back to the good times of yesteryear. Oh well, I guess we are actually really shit and we shouldn't be happy.

AVB failed to realize that against Wet Spam, but tbf to him he did make a half time sub this time around.

Well, I do agree. But I was pointing out that he would have been slaughtered if we had started without a DM today and conceded a goal with a run through the middle. I would like him to have more of a proper go sometimes too though.

Can't comment about today's atmosphere as wasn't in attendance but we would be kidding ourselves if we didn't acknowledge that it's been piss poor over the last couple of years. Many reasons why, over zealous stewarding,ridiculous Sunday kick offs, etc etc..but we are bad. We aren't the only ones by a long shot, recently man shitty, Newcastle, man utd and stoke have all been highlighted as being quiet at home...Woolwich are well known for it but it's still painful to hear your manager air it publicly. When you consider our away support (all 3,000 sold for awkward sunday ko at everton for instance) it's hard to justify him saying it...to be fair though he did say we had a great bunch of fans but today was bad. Maybe it will make a difference him saying it but I still hate hearing about it and we will have the piss taken something rotten. Oh well roll on Wednesday and we won so bollocks to the haters. T.H.F.C.

How Spursy was it that a hard-fought victory can only be enjoyed for about 30 seconds, before news of Chelsea's late goal filters through...? and about 15 minutes after that before AVB's post-match fan rant goes VIRAL???

Only Spurs could somehow contrive to make a win feel like a defeat!

Last edited:

First half subs are horrible man management. It's basically openly degrading a player. Great way to lose a dressing room.

Just got in from the game. Without a doubt the atmosphere was the worst I have ever experienced. Ignoring the level of support (lack of) during the game, BEFORE the kick off it was embarrassing! Honestly, I felt like WHL was preparing to watch a film at the cinema. I truly felt like I was being a nuisance by trying to start AVBs Blue & White Army.

We can't possibly blame the style of football.

All I can say is can't wait for 1882.

You mean apart from the TV pictures? They had him down on the stretcher with the neck shackle thing and were fiddling with the oxygen mask. He was even unconcious for a while, appearently.

Great attempt a trolling fellow fans, who are doing nothing but commenting on the game, though.

You couldn't see what was actually happening at any point as he was behind the ad boards. Calm down now

Perhaps we try to play too wide? I would like to see our three mids play closer to one another using 1 and 2 touch football and then dishing it out to the wings for help/ scoring crosses.

Shorter and concise passes will aid in possession (which isnt the issue when we play bad sides) and will avoid that "sloppy" look we saw today with quarter pitch passing.

Picking up 3 points when playing badly is the sign of something good, not champions but something very good. Any team is going to struggle to play football against 11 men only wanting to defend and draw 0-0. Next week vs Everton should be a more fluent game with both sides playing their passing game. A clean sheet plus 3 points, can't ask for more than that.

This is inane. You actually posed the question are clean sheets great? You cannot lose if you do not give up goals. The clean sheet record is very important. We all obviously want more goals including AVB, we just have to get behind them and trust that eventually we will produce goals.

In regards to the strongest team argument, no one has any idea what our strongest side is yet which isn't shocking when you bring in 7 new signings plus two players (Rose and Townsend) who were out on loan last year. There is lot still to be figured out but we haven't done that yet and are still winning.
Obviously, clean sheets are great.
I'm just saying that we shouldn't be too surprised that we are getting them.

I simply have the feeling that are clean sheet record is hampering our ability to score goals because of the way we play a high line, pressing style. If clean sheets come at a cost, that will always raise doubts.

And yes again our inability to score goals can be solved with time because time is always the answer ... like they say the future is bright and all that.

But the thing is that we are always in transitions. Do we know for a fact how the future will turn out for us?
No. I can only judge based on the present with little foresight. And the little foresight I do have about what our strongest team actually is ... can only be answered and subjected to when our players start and play in PL games, which is the biggest test and factor to judge them. Cups don't really cut it. Right now some of those players are not available, so it is understandably difficult to pick the best. But still ... trust is something that all us fans have, however our past experiences have a bigger effect. And thus, I feel that our better players aren't playing yet. They will, but till then it might as well get bumpy.

Also, I think if the atmosphere was so concerning that the players requested AVB to bring it up in the media that it has much less to do with with crowd noise and enthusiasm and much more to do with having abuse coming from our own supporters.

Just got in from the game. Without a doubt the atmosphere was the worst I have ever experienced. Ignoring the level of support (lack of) during the game, BEFORE the kick off it was embarrassing! Honestly, I felt like WHL was preparing to watch a film at the cinema. I truly felt like I was being a nuisance by trying to start AVBs Blue & White Army.

We can't possibly blame the style of football.

All I can say is can't wait for 1882.

Completely agree mate, I was sat in park lane lower today. Got there a bit early to soak up some of the 'atmosphere' - my row was completely empty apart from a guy reading a fucking BOOK!

The exhilarating literature, library silence and lack of support didn't get much better when the ground got full.

We need to sort this out lads. It genuinely is embarrassing that our own manager has called us out. But can anyone really blame him after today?

:avbshock:

Back
Top Bottom