Big case tomorrow, regarding FIFA/UEFA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So to sum up.

1. UEFA act like cunts and do whatever they want because they are monopoly.

2. ECJ comes out and says they are monopoly and this is bad for football

3. Everyone is too afraid of UEFA to create healthy competition and make fawning promises to them.

4. Go to 1.

If a new breakway league can have some competent, impartial refereeing, i'd be in. I'm serious, i'm that fucking sick of the refs we have now. They are completely sucking any enjoyment out of the game.

I know all the major clubs are shit scared of UEFA which is essentially an organised crime syndicate, but why can't at least one of them come out with something like "We continue to be opposed to a Super League we also want UEFA broken up and fixed" like other monopolies and criminal organisations.

UEFA are loving this. They are found to be a monopoly and everyone's fawning over them. and wanting it to continue.

3. Everyone is too afraid of UEFA to create healthy competition and make fawning promises to them.

4. Go to 1.

If a new breakway league can have some competent, impartial refereeing, i'd be in. I'm serious, i'm that fucking sick of the refs we have now. They are completely sucking any enjoyment out of the game.

Come up with ideas that aren’t even worse and this wouldn’t have happened. They’re suggesting an even more elitist, broken system to benefit a small handful of clubs.

So to sum up.

4. Go to 1.

We’d still have those officials in the Prem

Because clubs said hours after a decision that they weren't rushing out to start a Super League?

All this ruling has done is establish a legal precedent that FIFA/UEFA can't block the Super League. The clubs will, just as before, publicly deny they're working to build a Super League while resuming their clandestine meetings to plot just that. Then one day it'll be "oh because of spiraling costs we have to do this to save the game."

Incredibly naive to think the money isn't going to win. More naive to think a boycott will ever be the reason why it doesn't happen - fans are far too fickle to walk out en masse.

So to sum up.

4. Go to 1.

I feel your pain but I think more money in the game would mean a product that needs more predictability/certainty in results.

Honestly the only benefit I can see from this is watching Gary Neville change his tune when Sky are given broadcasting rights and the benefit it will have on lower league/non league football. I get the suspicion that a lot of EPL supporters are one salmon canapes away from ditching their beloved club but not the sport entirely.

Because clubs said hours after a decision that they weren't rushing out to start a Super League?

All this ruling has done is establish a legal precedent that FIFA/UEFA can't block the Super League. The clubs will, just as before, publicly deny they're working to build a Super League while resuming their clandestine meetings to plot just that. Then one day it'll be "oh because of spiraling costs we have to do this to save the game."

Incredibly naive to think the money isn't going to win. More naive to think a boycott will ever be the reason why it doesn't happen - fans are far too fickle to walk out en masse.
Tinfoil hat time

Tinfoil hat time
Not really.

When the ESL launch came out it was widely reported that the major PL clubs had been meeting secretly for months or even years, and that Spurs were getting in largely because of how influential Levy was in those meetings. Widely reported that the major clubs have backroom meetings regularly on how best to steer the PL in their favour.

They meet regularly with continental club leaders as well - things like the new CL format don't just happen because some bloke at UEFA gets a wild hair.

I get you don't want an ESL, I don't either. But your optimism that it won't happen because of a couple of rather rushed tweets is misplaced. The money always wins.

Not really.

When the ESL launch came out it was widely reported that the major PL clubs had been meeting secretly for months or even years, and that Spurs were getting in largely because of how influential Levy was in those meetings. Widely reported that the major clubs have backroom meetings regularly on how best to steer the PL in their favour.

They meet regularly with continental club leaders as well - things like the new CL format don't just happen because some bloke at UEFA gets a wild hair.

I get you don't want an ESL, I don't either. But your optimism that it won't happen because of a couple of rather rushed tweets is misplaced. The money always wins.
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Not really.

Yeah this aint done, anyone that thinks that is a little naïve especially since the court ruling said that what the clubs signed with UEFA is unlawful, no-one wants to see it but it will happen at some point, things like this don't go away particularly when there's a load of money involved.

There’s an inevitability to all this.

Look at golf. As patrician and conservative as it gets and completely overtaken and restructured by money.

As and when the Super League forms, I’m done. That’s not some dramatic battle cry. I just objectively will not care.

Yeah this aint done, anyone that thinks that is a little naïve especially since the court ruling said that what the clubs signed with UEFA is unlawful, no-one wants to see it but it will happen at some point, things like this don't go away particularly when there's a load of money involved.

Death of club football.

Agree.

The problem is that Barca and other La Liga clubs are effectively screwed financially. They need a Super League.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it followed exactly the same timeline as LIV golf. An alternative league that slowly gains legitimacy over a number of years before being let back into the fold.

Come up with ideas that aren’t even worse and this wouldn’t have happened. They’re suggesting an even more elitist, broken system to benefit a small handful of clubs.
These changes were driven by the big clubs fighting for more high profile games. It was Uefa weakness compared to the big clubs that came to the new system

Death of club football.

At the end of the day football changes all the time, 30 years ago if you told anyone that we'd have a CL consisting of 4 teams from each top league, Saudi and American money infiltrating football and owning clubs, World Cup's in countries with immoral practices etc...you would have been laughed at but this is where we currently are

In 20 years time, no-one's gonna give a shit about the current status quo just like no-one gives a shit about history, yeah people will complain but everyone will get used to it, like fans aren't gonna suddenly turn away from football just because their team has left the Premier League and joined a Super League lol. Sponsors aren't going to turn away, TV companies aren't going to turn away - fans like us might consume less of it but there will always be new age fans that will buy into it and take our place and those fans will see whatever they are watching at that time as completely normal.

At the end of the day football changes all the time, 30 years ago if you told anyone that we'd have a CL consisting of 4 teams from each top league, Saudi and American money infiltrating football and owning clubs, World Cup's in countries with immoral practices etc...you would have been laughed at but this is where we currently are

In 20 years time, no-one's gonna give a shit about the current status quo just like no-one gives a shit about history, yeah people will complain but everyone will get used to it, like fans aren't gonna suddenly turn away from football just because their team has left the Premier League and joined a Super League lol. Sponsors aren't going to turn away, TV companies aren't going to turn away - fans like us might consume less of it but there will always be new age fans that will buy into it and take our place and those fans will see whatever they are watching at that time as completely normal.

Yeah I will. No interest in a little elite club, I'll fuck off and support a non-league team. Loads of fans will do the same.

I can't tell you how uninterested I am in the idea of us being part of this shitshow and playing irrelevant games against Madrid in Saudi Arabia. What a load of fucking wank.

Back
Top Bottom