Big case tomorrow, regarding FIFA/UEFA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can’t lie, there is an element of me that almost wants the Super League to take off, just to spite the rancid scumbags that feign footballing virtue whilst hoovering up any bribe they can.

The game is dripping in such moral hypocrisy, I almost think ‘just be done with it’.

I don’t *really* want to see it happen, but the enemy of my enemy and all that….

This will be Neville and Spitty when Sky strike a broadcasting rights deal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

That’s just hot air.

They can’t do that.
Loads of arbitrary rules already in place for football.

I supose they cant legislate to move Man U to the uae but if they want to stay in the uk they can make more arbitrary rules.

If the uae wanted a club why not just create one.

I can’t lie, there is an element of me that almost wants the Super League to take off, just to spite the rancid scumbags that feign footballing virtue whilst hoovering up any bribe they can.

The game is dripping in such moral hypocrisy, I almost think ‘just be done with it’.

I don’t *really* want to see it happen, but the enemy of my enemy and all that….
Yeah, it'd almost be worth seeing the whole thing burn just to see the UEFA/FIFA crooks out in their arse.

Easy to say it when there's no real firm plan, no money on the table, and it's the popular thing to do.

But if/when things are more concrete is Celtic saying no when Rangers sign up for the guaranteed revenue? Inter sitting out when AC Milan raises their hand? Porto waving it off when Benfica pinch a ticket? ENIC snubbing this when Woolwich take the plunge?

Just like last time, once a domino falls the race not to be left behind will be on.

It should but UEFA are hardly doing a good job themselves, finishing 5th in your league should never guarantee you a CL place, at the same time you shouldn't be able to finish 3rd in your group which put you into the Europa League.

The truth is whatever format they come up with is killing football and sporting fairness either way, both will do their best to look after the legacy clubs, I don't think either are helping the football pyramid, like smaller teams aren't going to be able to close the gap on the big boys either way.

Not saying UEFA are doing a perfect job but it's better than this proposal which keeps certain clubs in the top tier even if they perform badly at home.

Nowhere near the same thing. Clubs have to qualify for UEFA competitions on a yearly basis.

Bro I'm not just talking about this particular competition,UEFA bought in FFP, it's just a fancy way of making sure the elite clubs are protected and the smaller clubs can't catch them up.

At the end of the day both orgs are as bad as the other one, they are out to protect ct the elites either way.

Bro I'm not just talking about this particular competition,UEFA bought in FFP, it's just a fancy way of making sure the elite clubs are protected and the smaller clubs can't catch them up.

At the end of the day both orgs are as bad as the other one, they are out to protect ct the elites either way.
Without FFP, the smaller clubs could only catch up with their bigger clubs by becoming a Chelsea or Man City. Is that something you wish to protect?

FFP isn’t stopping well-run clubs from growing. Spurs fans of all people should understand that.

Without FFP, the smaller clubs could only catch up with their bigger clubs by becoming a Chelsea or Man City. Is that something you wish to protect?

FFP isn’t stopping well-run clubs from growing. Spurs fans of all people should understand that.

How does that alter my point and what am I trying to protect?

Also we're not a small club, we don't need to sell players to survive and balance the books, we play in a highly lucrative league and get the highest TV revenue's and competition money in world football. FFP wasn't designed to curtail spending for teams like us, it was designed to stop teams in smaller leagues who don't have the same global appeal or play in leagues which are less popular than the Prem from becoming established.

If UEFA were interested in 'fair play' then they'd create a system where you're only allowed to enter their competitions if for example the top clubs can only spend so much or their wages are capped and at the same time allow the smaller clubs to spend more thus creating more of a level playing field but we know that's of no interest to them because that doesn't protect the elites who bring the most revenue back to UEFA.

Also we're not a small club, we don't need to sell players to survive and balance the books, we play in a highly lucrative league and get the highest TV revenue's and competition money in world football. FFP wasn't designed to curtail spending for teams like us, it was designed to stop teams in smaller leagues who don't have the same global appeal or play in leagues which are less popular than the Prem from becoming established.

If UEFA were interested in 'fair play' then they'd create a system where you're only allowed to enter their competitions if for example the top clubs can only spend so much or their wages are capped and at the same time allow the smaller clubs to spend more thus creating more of a level playing field but we know that's of no interest to them because that doesn't protect the elites who bring the most revenue back to UEFA.
Uefa do not have all the power. They are fighting the top clubs and often the changes are due to pressure from the big clubs against what they prefer. They also have to try to stay within eu laws, without an exemption a wage cap would be illegal.

Not a huge fan of Uefa but the reality is quite different to what people think

I hear you. However you also have to acknowledge that the big clubs have constantly worked to entrench their own power. Bayern Munich have been sanctimonious recently but it was in 2017 that they were actively considering a super league. The G14 was around 20 years ago again advocating for changes to help big clubs and threatening to breakaway if UEFA didn't agree. This creates huge political pressure which is mirrored by the way big business tries to bully governments everywhere.

I don’t agree with everything UEFA does. The recent changes to include historical performance into CL qualification is a bad move. But I don’t think you can say that UEFA designed their rules to harm smaller leagues. It’s just not realistic that Belgian teams are ever going to compete with English teams. Those forces would exist without UEFA.

Back
Top Bottom