Big case tomorrow, regarding FIFA/UEFA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah I will. No interest in a little elite club, I'll fuck off and support a non-league team. Loads of fans will do the same.

I can't tell you how uninterested I am in the idea of us being part of this shitshow and playing irrelevant games against Madrid in Saudi Arabia. What a load of fucking wank.

And I'm sure there's some older folk now that are paying less interest in football now but were footy mad fans and made football their life back in the 80s, we replaced them and someone will replace us.

At the end of the day football changes all the time, 30 years ago if you told anyone that we'd have a CL consisting of 4 teams from each top league, Saudi and American money infiltrating football and owning clubs, World Cup's in countries with immoral practices etc...you would have been laughed at but this is where we currently are

In 20 years time, no-one's gonna give a shit about the current status quo just like no-one gives a shit about history, yeah people will complain but everyone will get used to it, like fans aren't gonna suddenly turn away from football just because their team has left the Premier League and joined a Super League lol. Sponsors aren't going to turn away, TV companies aren't going to turn away - fans like us might consume less of it but there will always be new age fans that will buy into it and take our place and those fans will see whatever they are watching at that time as completely normal.
Exactly. Look at the tenor of this thread, for example. "PL is already a Super League" and "PL clubs won't participate"

30 years ago the PL was "the death of football". And, objectively, it was a hell of a nail in the coffin.
Football is a capitalist product, and has been since the first advertising hoarding was sold. And capitalism tends to ever increasing monopoly controlled by an ever decreasing number of parties.

Because clubs said hours after a decision that they weren't rushing out to start a Super League?

All this ruling has done is establish a legal precedent that FIFA/UEFA can't block the Super League. The clubs will, just as before, publicly deny they're working to build a Super League while resuming their clandestine meetings to plot just that. Then one day it'll be "oh because of spiraling costs we have to do this to save the game."

Incredibly naive to think the money isn't going to win. More naive to think a boycott will ever be the reason why it doesn't happen - fans are far too fickle to walk out en masse.
Great summary of the situation. I think it's just a question of how it gets started.

View: https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1737791190324416839?s=46&t=Gc6HrWVZT0mtSXU7r8ZBIQ

Could see a split in football, think English clubs will obviously remain UEFA. Wonder if Real and Barca will really push it.

My guess is this won’t really be a European Super League, clubs form outside Europe will end up in it.

Objectively, there isn't really anything outrageous in that. You're talking about a largely reconfigured CL/EL, though less meritorious - or at less tied to results in national leagues.

It's impact to national leagues, and the real reason such an arrangement will give them the hump, is it destroys the value the national league product receives from the annual difference between certain positions (i.e. 4th/5th, 7th/8th). Annual qualification based upon national league performance drives interest in otherwise relatively meaningless national league matches.

Of course, on the economic side of this it's reasonable to argue that it's unjust that national leagues get to cash in on value that they're not actually creating but is rather being created for them.

In reality, the biggest objection to this is its obviously just a first step on the road to a breakaway European pyramid which would at best reduce the national leagues to a feeder system.

Objectively, there isn't really anything outrageous in that. You're talking about a largely reconfigured CL/EL, though less meritorious - or at less tied to results in national leagues.

It's impact to national leagues, and the real reason such an arrangement will give them the hump, is it destroys the value the national league product receives from the annual difference between certain positions (i.e. 4th/5th, 7th/8th). Annual qualification based upon national league performance drives interest in otherwise relatively meaningless national league matches.

Of course, on the economic side of this it's reasonable to argue that it's unjust that national leagues get to cash in on value that they're not actually creating but is rather being created for them.

In reality, the biggest objection to this is its obviously just a first step on the road to a breakaway European pyramid which would at best reduce the national leagues to a feeder system.
A bit like Baseball no? Big leagues with little league feeder clubs.

That last line is fucking rich coming from UEFA.
I can’t lie, there is an element of me that almost wants the Super League to take off, just to spite the rancid scumbags that feign footballing virtue whilst hoovering up any bribe they can.

The game is dripping in such moral hypocrisy, I almost think ‘just be done with it’.

I don’t *really* want to see it happen, but the enemy of my enemy and all that….

Back
Top Bottom