AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let me get this straight - you neg rep me, despite not having grasped, that my post is no defence of AVB at all?

Ok, I misunderstood, probably the bit about you wanting the players heads on sticks that stabbed him in the back threw me?
Or the bit about no matter how you look at it the buck stops with the players and board.....and the only reason he was sacked is because the players betrayed him.

Sorry about that

WELL SAID.

Half of them gave up yesterday. In fact, not just for our sake but for the sake of players like Holtby.who worked their asses of only to be let down by the pricks around them. I don't care if it's half the fricken team!

We are Tottenham Hotspur and we should not be a manager merry go round or a place for mercenaries. We are supposed to be the team in London that is good. So I want the wankers gone, away from our beautiful club before it's ruined.

I am amazed that people have turned on the players over this

Fucking gobsmacked

I thought exactly the same thing...and rightly so.

Sad to think there are Spurs fans out there though that will hold grudges, and demand certain players never play again, on the back of AVB being fired. Shocking.
its always like that!.. gets my fucking goat as well.. unfortunately we've got just as many twats that claim to support us as any other club,,, if not more!

Under Sherwood, were going to have an immediate impact if we play attacking football. All Sherwood needs to do is play the right players in the right positions and set up to attack. Stop the highline, stick a left back in at left back and play to the individual players strengths. The players will respond and fans will enjoy it. Top 4 easy!!

A view from F365

Although we have staunchly defended Andre Villas-Boas this season after his words were twisted in the press, it is impossible to deny the reasons for his exit, and nor would we wish to claim he should have been given more time.

Perhaps he might have turned things around eventually - and we must remember that Tottenham are only five points from fourth - but the Spurs board cannot rely on maybes after investing £110m in the summer. Regardless of who signed the Beatles, there has been no evidence to suggest that Villas-Boas could get them to sing as Spurs failed to muster a single shot on target against a Liverpool side missing two of its three most important players.

The ghost of Harry Redknapp haunted Villas-Boas throughout his brief reign at White Hart Lane and, despite leading Tottenham to their record points total in the Premier League last season, there are lessons he could have learned from his predecessor. Both failed to hold their nerve as the race for the top four went to the wire in 2012 and 2013 and, ultimately, neither managed to find the middle ground required to achieve Daniel Levy's lofty ambitions.

We have often derided Redknapp for what appears to be a rudimentary approach to management, but his manner with the players and confidence in their ability (other than Darren Bent, of course) allowed them to express themselves on the pitch. It was for this reason that I argued he should be appointed England manager at the start of last year. Villas-Boas, on the other hand, has struggled with the more human side of the game, which has been evident in Spurs' listless performances.

The team has been devoid of personality this year and, coupled with the absence of fight in the defeats to Manchester City and Liverpool, it rendered an impossible situation in which the only solution was for Villas-Boas to be sacked. It doesn't matter how many nights a manager sleeps at the training ground if he cannot get his players to believe in his methods. Christian Eriksen's vague quotes about Villas-Boas's intentions in November hinted that the Portuguese was not getting his message across.

It's clear that much has been lost in translation. At Porto, Villas-Boas' success in the Europa League was rightly seen as a brilliant achievement, but progression in the competition matters little to Spurs. While Redknapp took a pragmatic approach to the fight for fourth place by resting his top players in Europe, his successor has tried to juggle both, refusing to claim either as a priority last season.

However, the consequence of Spurs' run to the Europa League quarter-finals was that they struggled to maintain their momentum in the league - the bread and butter that Villas-Boas repeatedly refused to acknowledge. While he pointed to a 'negative spiral' at Woolwich, that fate has instead been inflicted upon Spurs.

"Our run is magnificent in other competitions," said a defiant Villas-Boas on Sunday. He is a fighter, of that there is no doubt, but it is different to possessing the charisma that is required to lift players from a slump. And when his strengths began to fail - the attention to detail, the ability to fix faults - the outcome was inevitable.

Matthew Stanger

Ok, I misunderstood, probably the bit about you wanting the players heads on sticks that stabbed him in the back threw me?
Or the bit about no matter you ook at it the buck stops with the players and board.....and the only reason he was sacked is because the players betrayed him.

Sorry about that

The reason for the sack is blatantly, that there is positive knowledge, that things will not improve from here.

Simply because the results don't warrant it and neither do the performances, over the entire season, let alone his reign.

However that is not to say I was happy with AVB - XI selections, integration of new players, sub policy, defensive policy, complete lack of attacking plan, set pieces calamity, do I really need to go on?

I don't see how I "take sides" against the board. The players blatantly loathed him at the end and the board blatantly duly obligued with the P45. Yeah, and I think those players should be named and shamed and yeah, I think the board has put itself in an untenable position from now and on. That is not taking sides. That is stating the obvious.

I am amazed that people have turned on the players over this

Fucking gobsmacked
Screaming of denial when people would rather blame a squad of players than question AVB.

He's being set up to be a martyr by some who seem happy to ignore all our failings this season just because if we gave him enough time we'd win the league..

The reason for the sack is blatantly, that there is positive knowledge, that things will not improve from here.

Simply because the results don't warrant it and neither do the performances, over the entire season, let alone his reign.

However that is not to say I was happy with AVB - XI selections, integration of new players, sub policy, defensive policy, complete lack of attacking plan, set pieces calamity, do I really need to go on?

I don't see how I "take sides" against the board. The players blatantly loathed him at the end and the board blatantly duly obligued with the P45. Yeah, and I think those players should be named and shamed and yeah, I think the board has put itself in an untenable position from now and on. That is not taking sides. That is stating the obvious.

You seem to think our club will or should implode over this decision, where as I believe it will improve.

Time will tell, but personally I dont foresee any players being kicked out, and board members resigning any time soon.

If the players "loathed" AVB as you put it, then Im glad Levy backed them, and not him.

Under Sherwood, were going to have an immediate impact if we play attacking football. All Sherwood needs to do is play the right players in the right positions and set up to attack. Stop the highline, stick a left back in at left back and play to the individual players strengths. The players will respond and fans will enjoy it. Top 4 easy!!
nah!.. be plenty of downs to come this season now unless we appoint a permanent manager asap..

We'll have to see, but I disagree with the first part of your post. The manager choses the tactics and selects the team, tells them how to play - I think the players, like us fans, wanted AVB to be right and they tried but it didn't work and its hard as a player to keep playing as you're told when it isn't working, losing badly, and the fans are booing you, etc.
I think we will turn around very quickly and look a lot better very quickly.

Hope you are right but there are a lot of players that are going to have to improve drastically if we are to save this season and I'm not very confident we will be able to get someone capable of turning things around. I know this is never going to happen with football fans but we really need to be patient with the new manager

Back
Top Bottom