Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My main concern with Sherwood is that he so wants us to play attacking atractive football, that he will play 4-4-2 no matter what.

Well then worry not as that is clearly not the case. Look at how we ended the game at Old Trafford.

As for this issue people seem to have with 442, a lot of the time they clearly dont have a clue what they are talking about.

surprise, surprise we lose a game and you lot can't wait to bash Sherwood. It's not his fault Rose is a spastic and tried to do a cryuff turn as last man, and it's not his fault Walker was fucking miles away for their first.

I believe it it Sherwoods fault we were never in the game.
He gave up the midfield when he put in the team sheet, against a team like Woolwich that is criminal.

We were never in the game, the only surprise for me was that we only conceeded 2.

Woolwich looked superb, better than us in every department, and Wenger looked like a tactical genius.

They, and he, were not. They were competent, they did their job. He did exactly what he always does. If there is one thing for them, they are consistent. We knew before the game exactly how they would line up, exactly how they would play and exactly how Wenger would perform through the match.

We made them look good, and that comes primarily from giving up the midfield as Sherwood did. Then he has the audacity to claim we were not over run after the match!

I thought he was learning against Stoke and Utd, he found a nice balance to the team. After Saturday Im thinking that was more luck than judgement.

He needs to recognise defensive stability is the foundation of all the attacking teams.

He also needs to stop saying "theres more ways to win a football match" because he has so far only tried one, and its flaky as hell.

I believe it it Sherwoods fault we were never in the game.
He gave up the midfield when he put in the team sheet, against a team like Woolwich that is criminal.

We were never in the game, the only surprise for me was that we only conceeded 2.

Woolwich looked superb, better than us in every department, and Wenger looked like a tactical genius.

They, and he, were not. They were competent, they did their job. He did exactly what he always does. If there is one thing for them, they are consistent. We knew before the game exactly how they would line up, exactly how they would play and exactly how Wenger would perform through the match.

We made them look good, and that comes primarily from giving up the midfield as Sherwood did. Then he has the audacity to claim we were not over run after the match!

I thought he was learning against Stoke and Utd, he found a nice balance to the team. After Saturday Im thinking that was more luck than judgement.

He needs to recognise defensive stability is the foundation of all the attacking teams.

He also needs to stop saying "theres more ways to win a football match" because he has so far only tried one, and its flaky as hell.

Agree 110%. Sadly, I have all but given up on this season now. Ok, give him until the end of the summer, but when we finish 6th or 7th (as I honestly think we will) lets hope Hatchet Man Levy has a good manager lined up.

Agree 110%. Sadly, I have all but given up on this season now. Ok, give him until the end of the summer, but when we finish 6th or 7th (as I honestly think we will) lets hope Hatchet Man Levy has a good manager lined up.

When this whole situation came about I thought it seemed pretty obvious Sherwood was keeping the seat warm for van Gaal in the summer.

18 month deal ensures him a nice pay off at the end, and gives the veneer of some authority now while he has the team....

Id love him to be a success, its romantic isnt it? Someone from within the club steps up and does the business...

And after the division caused by the whole Harry/AVB affair it could really galvanise the club and fans as well. He needs to improve though, and fast. People say he deserves time, IMHO he doesnt have it - I believe there is a Dutchman waiting in the wings. Sherwood has only this season to show what he can do. And to date what he can do really isnt that impressive at all.

When this whole situation came about I thought it seemed pretty obvious Sherwood was keeping the seat warm for van Gaal in the summer.

18 month deal ensures him a nice pay off at the end, and gives the veneer of some authority now while he has the team....

Id love him to be a success, its romantic isnt it? Someone from within the club steps up and does the business...

And after the division caused by the whole Harry/AVB affair it could really galvanise the club and fans as well. He needs to improve though, and fast. People say he deserves time, IMHO he doesnt have it - I believe there is a Dutchman waiting in the wings. Sherwood has only this season to show what he can do. And to date what he can do really isnt that impressive at all.
I think that from the fans he has to be given time. Despite his inexperience his start hasn't been a total disaster, so he's earned a little patience at least. But his inexperience has shown nonetheless and we've been dumped out of two cups since he's been in charge primarily for that reason. I wouldn't be surprised if we exit the Europa in pretty much the same fashion, especially since his sole game plan seems entirely focused on the older style English game.

Personally, I just wish he'd cut out the bullshit in his interviews. He comes across as a cocky know-it-all and it's rubbing me up the wrong way. People like Mourinho can get away with that because they have years of experience and past achievements to show for it. But a man of just a few weeks experience should be a bit more humble in my opinion, and I don't sense that from Timmy. I sense a man whose abilities do not yet match the others of his station, but who thinks they do. Those abilities that only come with experience and, if anything, the AVB example should immediately tell him that there are things to learn as you go along.

I like that he is honest (or appears to be) in his interviews. I dont like that he does seem to talk some crap.

I like how bold he has been in giving Bentaleb a chance, I dont like that he chooses essentiall games like Utd and Woolwich away to throw him in. Lets be honest, if he has a 'mare it can set the kid back a long way - and where are the two places he is most likely to struggle?

I like that he has an attacking focus. Love his "they are there for the taking attitude". I dont like that there is no design to it. In attack or defence.

I like that he talks about how if we have the ball the opponent cant do anything with it. I hate that there seems to be no tactical idea to facilitate this. People moan about AVB and his tactics, but a rehearsed shape and movement really helps!

I hate that he doesnt give a toss about defence.

I hate that he doesnt seem to pay attention to what the opponent will do. All well and good focusing on our own game, but if our own game consists of a 4 man midfield and the other team have 5, we need to be able to combat that.

In an ideal world he would be given time to learn and grow and (hopefully!) become a fantastic manager.

In the real world he has the rest of this season and needs to pick up the pace.

Just hope he doesn't do a Arry and belittle the Europa league and not take it seriously.

Just hope he doesn't do a Arry and belittle the Europa league and not take it seriously.

Bearing in mind this is the only thing we can win now, he better fucking not. In fact, I am getting to the stage where I think this should take preference over the league positioning. It is only my opinion, but I think we will finish 6th or 7th. Therefore, I would love us to win the EL, keeps our better players happy and a new man can come in the summer and try to get us into the top 4.

Honestly fuck the europa league. This was AVB's downfall. No matter how hard fans cry about wages and passion , when they play thursday nights they don't turn up on sundays. All these points dropped at home especially West ham 3-0 and Newcastle 1-0 correlated with thursday nights. Dembele has said it, Lennon has said it and a few other players have said they are too tired.

Nor have we rotated adequately under AVB, always a contigency of 3-4 players starting thursday and sunday and probably 3 off the bench. No fresh legs and sharpness.

If sherwoodd decides to get us eliminated from Europe then i am 100% behind such a decision. Champions league comes first.Then again he has to be careful, this does not neccesarily send a positive message to the players.

If we did not have the europa league this season we would be probably 6-7 points better off and firmly in the title race despite all the drama. Not to mention last season we would not have drawn 2-2 to wigan, lost 1-0 at home to fulham..ect.

Honestly fuck the europa league.
So flush the last trophy within realistic reach down the shitter?

This was AVB's downfall.
No. AVB's downfall was his tactics, formation and internal politics.

No matter how hard fans cry about wages and passion , when they play thursday nights they don't turn up on sundays.
That doesn't mean that the argument that they should be able to play two games within a week is invalid.
All these points dropped at home especially West ham 3-0 and Newcastle 1-0 correlated with thursday nights. Dembele has said it, Lennon has said it and a few other players have said they are too tired.
But this isn't an excuse. You say we should concentrate on Champion's League, but if we get into it we'll be playing often on Wednesdays and then Saturdays, with exactly the same amount of space between matches. Frankly I think a lot of players make excuses. Too tired? 180 minutes a week of actual competitive play? Please. These are supposed to be professionals.

Nor have we rotated adequately under AVB, always a contigency of 3-4 players starting thursday and sunday and probably 3 off the bench. No fresh legs and sharpness.
We aren't rotating anymore under Timmy. If anything we are arguably rotating less. He's just playing different players in a different formation.

If sherwoodd decides to get us eliminated from Europe then i am 100% behind such a decision.
So, but this is a mind boggling comment. What manager would seek to get us eliminated from a competition that we have an outside chance of winning?

Champions league comes first.
We've only gotten fourth twice though. You want CL, you're not gonna get it with a squad of half a dozen new players, an intern for a manager and tactical naivity. So why throw away our last cup run?
Then again he has to be careful, this does not neccesarily send a positive message to the players.
You mean the players you say are telling us they are far too tired to have to play another 90minutes a week?

I like that he is honest (or appears to be) in his interviews. I dont like that he does seem to talk some crap.

I like how bold he has been in giving Bentaleb a chance, I dont like that he chooses essentiall games like Utd and Woolwich away to throw him in. Lets be honest, if he has a 'mare it can set the kid back a long way - and where are the two places he is most likely to struggle?

I like that he has an attacking focus. Love his "they are there for the taking attitude". I dont like that there is no design to it. In attack or defence.

I like that he talks about how if we have the ball the opponent cant do anything with it. I hate that there seems to be no tactical idea to facilitate this. People moan about AVB and his tactics, but a rehearsed shape and movement really helps!

I hate that he doesnt give a toss about defence.

I hate that he doesnt seem to pay attention to what the opponent will do. All well and good focusing on our own game, but if our own game consists of a 4 man midfield and the other team have 5, we need to be able to combat that.

In an ideal world he would be given time to learn and grow and (hopefully!) become a fantastic manager.

In the real world he has the rest of this season and needs to pick up the pace.

You've got a real 'like/hate' relationship with TS haven't you?!

You've got a real 'like/hate' relationship with TS haven't you?!

Ha! Im trying to be balanced. Ive been very critical of Sherwood, if Im not careful Ill be labled a hater and end up fighting a rear guard for the rest of his tenure.

I dont dislike him, I want him to be successful, but I do have to call it how I see it

Honestly fuck the europa league. This was AVB's downfall. No matter how hard fans cry about wages and passion , when they play thursday nights they don't turn up on sundays. All these points dropped at home especially West ham 3-0 and Newcastle 1-0 correlated with thursday nights. Dembele has said it, Lennon has said it and a few other players have said they are too tired.

If sherwoodd decides to get us eliminated from Europe then i am 100% behind such a decision. Champions league comes first.Then again he has to be careful, this does not neccesarily send a positive message to the players.

I'm still yet to find a Calender that shows Wednesday-Saturday is somehow a bigger gap than Thursday-Sunday!
If we were in the CL this season !!!!!!) don't you think we'd be having exactly the same problem? Except without the European win! We'd be coming back on Saturday, shellshocked at the mauling we took in the Nou Camp midweek!!!
If the players can't handle THIS, then they're gonna be fucked if we ever DO make the CL again....
Or does all the money and Faux opera music they play somehow compensate for not being able to play midweek-weekends throughout the season?

I've never quite got the logic behind fielding a weakened team in order to have one less competition to 'worry about'.... Competition (and occasionally winning the odd one) is surely WHY WE'RE ALL HERE!!!! No?

Cant wait for saturday , 3pts will put smile back on our faces , EL starts soon and i know for fact that we got squad big enough to cope. Heads up lads

Back
Top Bottom