New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Benitez has backing at Napoli, and is in the Champion's League next year – hard to see him opting for Europa instead.

Martinez has only been at Everton a year, and while it's plainly ridiculous for me to cast judgement on his character from what I see in the press, he does seem a loyal type, not one to fuck off at the first sign of a better deal. That said, if Lukaku goes, if Delafeu goes, his chairman won't pay up for Barry or to replace the above, then he may be tempted. Without his loan signings he'd have struggled to perform this season as well as he has.
I agree with all that. He is likely to lose a bunch of his best players. Losing Lukaku, assuming he does, is going to be a huge blow. Even should he rebuild with equally good players, is he going to do better than this season? CL? Unlikley with the resources available. Mind you, he could stay doing that for two more seasons and maybe land an even bigger job than Spurs.

Pochettino seems the most likely. Especially if the club sell his two best players which looks likely. I was sceptical of his win-rate, but Lister made some good points here: http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/pochettino-yes-please.8930/page-12
The thing that worries me about Pochettino is that he inherited a good squad of players, who were used to playing together in a fairly decent way, at a club that is now very well run. He didnt join a club in disaray - most people were very surprised that Nigel Adkins got the boot. The fact that two of his best players are in the England squad and likely to sell for a lot of money to bigger clubs this summer reinforces the view that he arrived at a great time, inheriting a team about to peak. He could be great. But it's the biggest risk out of all these options, in my opinion.

I cant remember when we had a manager poached. If they're backed, by board and fans, things go well and even if players come and go - then I've faith they'll hang around.
Sure if a barcelona or real come looking for a manager they might be off but thats the case with nearly any cunt in the game.
I'm in fine fettle now that sherwood is away and we can actually get on with business. I'll back whoever comes in, except the nonce from west ham. I'd also be a bit disappointed if it was moyes.

To be fair, the media poached Redknapp

I find it hard to be positive about a new manager because it's always the same story about building the club back to glory, developing a style that fits Spurs' history, in it for the long term, challenge for titles year after year etc etc.

Problem is - when things start to go wrong, our toys are thrown from the pram, the media has a field day and Levy hits the trigger.

There's no culture of stability or learning from mistakes at THFC, just repeated reactions.

So, welcome to the new fella and goodbye to him next season.

Oh, if by some miracle it all goes brilliantly next season, the new chap will then be off to a " bigger club that matches my ambitions."

Sorry to be cynical but we've been down this road so many times.

Check Bill Nich's early results. He'd have been shown the door promptly these days, as would Burkinshaw.

No patience, no plan, no chance.

Not entirely true. We've seen two instances of evidence of Levy learning within the past year:

1 - Decent amount of transfer business was handled before the start in August. As such, we actually managed to pick up a decent haul of points instead of waiting until September to take care of things and consequently drop 7-10 points against sides we should easily handle.

2 - Rehire of Ian Broomfield. Proven, excellent eye for talent that was unfortunately let go of when AVB was hired and insisted on having his own players. Grabbing Broomfield with whatever it took to snag him away from being on the verge of signing for Woolwich is as much a concession from Levy of being wrong as there is.

I don't blame you for being cynical from all the crap of recent years in particular, but there are some very positive indications at the moment that would be suggestive of reasonable hope.

Last edited:
I reckon we should delete all the manager threads. People start off thinking so-and-so would be a good idea, then someone else joins in with more conviction...then other points are made and people start to think very realistically about the notion of this manager. By this time many others are starting to give the idea credence and are drawn in to the fantastical managerial fantasies of others, by now people are starting to believe they are close to something tangible and that this perfect manager is almost knocking on the door.

Then the club make an announcement of someone completely different and before the guy's travel arrangements are even made everyone is cunting him off for not being the guy they want, because apparently imaginary fantasy bloke would have done better than the actual guy (based on supposition and guesswork by people who assume their opinions are fact) despite the fact no-one has even so much as kicked a ball yet.

I don't care who we get in now as long as he makes our players happy.

I think that we have the talent to do very well, we just need someone to get them to enjoy their football and the rest will fall into place.

I don't care who we get in now as long as he makes our players happy.

I think that we have the talent to do very well, we just need someone to get them to enjoy their football and the rest will fall into place.

Pretty much my take on the situation...

...as long as they also sign a left back as well

Pretty much my take on the situation...

...as long as they also sign a left back as well

Also, not sure I want Adebayor at the club next season. I appreciate his talent, and what he's done this season, but the wage increase worries me amongst other stuff. After all, he was the only public pro-Sherwood player, so will he be likely to cause problems for the next guy?

I also have this niggling feeling that he's not exactly a good person to have around for squad morale, not sure why (past stories or something?).

Also, not sure I want Adebayor at the club next season. I appreciate his talent, and what he's done this season, but the wage increase worries me amongst other stuff. After all, he was the only public pro-Sherwood player, so will he be likely to cause problems for the next guy?

I also have this niggling feeling that he's not exactly a good person to have around for squad morale, not sure why (past stories or something?).
watch the way the players leap all over him when he scores
if he was disliked - I'm pretty sure they wouldn't bother.

Mind you - by all accounts half the players want out according to some people on here, so maybe half of them are just there to give him a sly dig or a dead leg for being Tims buddy

Pochettino

whats the clamour for this bloke who's done fuck all at southampton.
He's hardly done fuck all has he? He's managed to get Southampton to finish 8th in the league while playing fast-paced, possession-based attacking football (with a very young squad). He isn't my first candidate, but I think he looks to go out and dominate teams with the ball, and get through them quickly, which I like to see.

Money not an issue, relative to the windfall of the new TV deal its a drop in the ocean.

As a footballer he is superb, when on song. Thats the only catch for me.

Couldnt give a damn how well he got on with Sherwood, it has no bearing on how well (or not) he will get on with the next guy.

Im hoping he see's whoever it is as a good bloke and there is no bother.

Money not an issue, relative to the windfall of the new TV deal its a drop in the ocean.

As a footballer he is superb, when on song. Thats the only catch for me.

Couldnt give a damn how well he got on with Sherwood, it has no bearing on how well (or not) he will get on with the next guy.

Im hoping he see's whoever it is as a good bloke and there is no bother.
watch the way the players leap all over him when he scores
if he was disliked - I'm pretty sure they wouldn't bother.

I wasn't suggesting the guy wasn't liked, more that he can be moody and influence the mood of the others in the team. I just worry after the way he was alleged to have fallen out with AVB, by his own words;

“He brought his ideas and I told him: ‘Your ideas will not help the team’,” Adebayor said in an interview broadcast on Sky Sports.“I have had a chance to play for a lot of top clubs in my career and I know how it’s supposed to be. I told him one vs. one and he didn’t want to listen, and then I told him in front of the group.
“Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe it was a good one, maybe it was a bad one. I don’t know, but I spoke my mind.”

Patience from the fans is irrelevant if one of the key dressing room personalities starts a mutiny out of arrogance - I mean, it was the beginning of the end for the season I guess.

What we know is that he didn't have enough influence to keep guys like Sandro from voicing their concerns about Sherwood - seems a bit of a volatile thing to have around.

Back
Top Bottom