New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do your homework Danny Boy.

I would wager he has been, since November, and will have 90% of a deal already in place. Just the formalities remaining.

IMO it will be FDB, but Im not ruling out a surprise left field appointment.

I think from here we will go through the motions, so to appear like now we are working on it.
We will leave it quite a few days, let the papers link everyone under the sun.
Then the papers will confirm we are after XYZ, possibly with quotes from him/his agent or club.
We wont comment for a few more days.
During this time, due to lack of comment, the press will run stories of how we are jeapordising the move for some silly reason or another (break clauses/money/promise of player X staying/Levy Brinkmanship)
Then in about a weeks time (from now) we will announce we have made contact.
A few days later the OS will update, new manager will be in with his "Great club/history/tradition" speech.
Curiously the pictures used will have snow/flooding in them giving away the fact the deal was done 5 months ago :D

I'm in the FdB camp, there are loads of pro's and con's but what really swings it for me is his staff he might bring with him in Jaap Stam as defensive coach and Dennis Bergkamp as Assistant. My scum mates are melting at the thought of Bergkamp at Spurs and that for me is worth it alone, like a knife through their hearts.

By the time he was done with Inter his stock was very low, Chelsea was his chance to rebuild his reputation - I think it was the Chelsea stint that got him the Napoli job. There was a lot to gain from just keeping his head down and getting on with it for the short term (which it always was).

And dont foget its Liverpool fans you are talking about, hardly known for being grounded and reasonable...

Tuchel - just seen mention on the BBC. Never heard of him before - what is he like? Im guessing its just the usual random links that happen but its a curious one.

Tuchel is unlikely to happen but I think he's a very interesting man. He coached at Mainz after Klopp did and many see him as the next Klopp. Mainz has the smallest wage bill in the Bundesliga but he's finished in the top ten 3 out of 5 seasons I believe. He also has an outrageously good record against Bayern.

Included a couple of very interesting articles here. He's very tactically adept and thoughtful but unlike some of that mold he's very in tune with the necessity of man management and in growing a team culture. He changed a lot of stuff when he first came to Mainz because he thought they had no cohesion.

I saw he recently resigned at Mainz and I'm not sure what exactly happened. Will have to look it up.

http://www.dw.de/rule-breaker-tuchel-leads-mainz-into-a-league-of-their-own/a-17503661
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9421702.stm
http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/13/could...w-manager-after-tim-sherwood-sacking-4726342/

Last edited:
I would wager he has been, since November, and will have 90% of a deal already in place. Just the formalities remaining.

I think from here we will go through the motions, so to appear like now we are working on it.
Then the papers will confirm we are after XYZ, possibly with quotes from him/his agent or club.
During this time, due to lack of comment, the press will run stories of how we are jeapordising the move for some silly reason or another (break clauses/money/promise of player X staying/Levy Brinkmanship)
A few days later the OS will update, new manager will be in with his "Great club/history/tradition" speech.
Curiously the pictures used will have snow/flooding in them giving away the fact the deal was done 5 months ago :D

Hope your right Lister.. and your description of how our man will be appointed seems pretty much spot on too.

JDK JDK thanks - Ill read those later.
The Metro article I saw earlier said he asked in Jan for them to release him from his contract, and now he has left. No reason given though.

Curiously the pictures used will have snow/flooding in them giving away the fact the deal was dont 5 months ago :D
The mainstream media is the last place I will be looking, they all had LVG lined up until ol' fishy eyes got hit by the spanish archer.

On that subject Private Eye ran the 'before and after' comments from media about moyes appointment / departure. Hilarious.

They know diddly squat, they just report a lot of stuff, then point to the one time they did get it right to substantiate further (wrong and bs/agenda driven) opinions.

Nope I trust media and bookies as far as they can throw them for itk. Nope, I'm just going to ask spooky outright how he's getting on with hacking Levy's firewall.

Sad thing is the Media offer 99% of what we have to go on.

People will be enraged at a random and tenuous link, and look a bit silly a few days later when they realise it was nonsense. Such is life on a message board.

Hope your right Lister.. and your description of how our man will be appointed seems pretty much spot on too.

Sad isnt it? We have seen this dance so many times its all rather dull now...

That said, I always get suckered by the "new manager optimism" that comes along when we appoint someone not crap

Tuchel is unlikely to happen but I think he's a very interesting man. He was coached at Mainz after Klopp did and many see him as the next Klopp. Mainz has the smallest wage bill in the Bundesliga but he's finished in the top ten 3 out of 5 seasons I believe. He also has an outrageously good record against Bayern.

Included a couple of very interesting articles here. He's very tactically adept and thoughtful but unlike some of that mold he's very in tune with the necessity of man management and in growing a team culture. He changed a lot of stuff when he first came to Mainz because he thought they had no cohesion.

I saw he recently resigned at Mainz and I'm not sure what exactly happened. Will have to look it up.

http://www.dw.de/rule-breaker-tuchel-leads-mainz-into-a-league-of-their-own/a-17503661
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9421702.stm
http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/13/could...w-manager-after-tim-sherwood-sacking-4726342/
That beeb article is def worth a read. Back from when they did insightful commentary.

tbf that is a valid point, the players in the Southampton squad (lallana and rodriguez in particular) were hardly on the international radar until after Pinnochio was appointed manager.

There was a Southampton supporter on 6-0-6b the other night who claimed that the success of their young players was down to some other coach (Eddie SomebodyOrOther???).

Sad isnt it? We have seen this dance so many times its all rather dull now...

That said, I always get suckered by the "new manager optimism" that comes along when we appoint someone not crap

And this time will be the same.. Levy has to get it right once surely??

Why our sacking/appointing of managers causes so much attention and head shaking i'll never know.

The sacking of Big Martin Jol at half time has to be Levy's finest hour.

There was a Southampton supporter on 6-0-6b the other night who claimed that the success of their young players was down to some other coach (Eddie SomebodyOrOther???).
tbf, I take comments on 6-0-6 the same as I do on forums, and opinion polls. The type of person to call 6-0-6 is also the type of person to not avoid a pillock with a clipboard, or to fill in one of those 'help us to improve our website' surveys.

(that being said southampton have always had a good training / academy setup and the club is terrible at keeping secrets, so if that is the case then Pinnochio would prob want to bring in coach Eddie with him, a manager is only as good as his entourage and all that jazz) :gallashmm:

So there's been a few comments about how we'd like Levy to give the new manager a realistic target next season, something achievable and that we can build on. None of this Champions League or bust nonsense.

So here it is: 'Just finish above fucking Woolwich'.

Everything else will be a bonus.

I find it hard to be positive about a new manager because it's always the same story about building the club back to glory, developing a style that fits Spurs' history, in it for the long term, challenge for titles year after year etc etc.

Problem is - when things start to go wrong, our toys are thrown from the pram, the media has a field day and Levy hits the trigger.

There's no culture of stability or learning from mistakes at THFC, just repeated reactions.

So, welcome to the new fella and goodbye to him next season.

Oh, if by some miracle it all goes brilliantly next season, the new chap will then be off to a " bigger club that matches my ambitions."

Sorry to be cynical but we've been down this road so many times.

Check Bill Nich's early results. He'd have been shown the door promptly these days, as would Burkinshaw.

No patience, no plan, no chance.

I find it hard to be positive about a new manager because it's always the same story about building the club back to glory, developing a style that fits Spurs' history, in it for the long term, challenge for titles year after year etc etc.

Problem is - when things start to go wrong, our toys are thrown from the pram, the media has a field day and Levy hits the trigger.

There's no culture of stability or learning from mistakes at THFC, just repeated reactions.

Oh, if by some miracle it all goes brilliantly next season, the new chap will then be off to a " bigger club that matches my ambitions."

Check Bill Nich's early results. He'd have been shown the door promptly these days, as would Burkinshaw.

On the bright side, we can say "theres always next season" now, and that will actually mean this season......shorter wait at least.

Absolutley and we the fans have to take some of the blame, we're just as guilty of being impatient.

I cant remember when we had a manager poached. If they're backed, by board and fans, things go well and even if players come and go - then I've faith they'll hang around.
Sure if a barcelona or real come looking for a manager they might be off but thats the case with nearly any cunt in the game.
I'm in fine fettle now that sherwood is away and we can actually get on with business. I'll back whoever comes in, except the nonce from west ham. I'd also be a bit disappointed if it was moyes.

Back
Top Bottom