DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If she said she was a fan of a European sport she would be killed.

I think that of anywhere in the United States the place where they would be more prone to watching European sports WOULD be Alaska. They don't have any sports team in any of our big leagues. They huge into what are traditionally labeled as "outdoor sports." The biggest sporting event in Alaska is the Iditarod, which is about as popular in the Continental United States as cricket.

From what I've seen of Yedlin, I think he's got a lot of natural potential.

I thought that before the World Cup, and by the end of the WC and the friendlies (seattle) I was concerned that he'd put himself in the spotlight a little and would be snapped up by the likes of Buyeveryone-ver Pool or Man Utd.

If we get him, I'll be chuffed as I think he's definitely going to turn out well.

I'm not a scout though, just my thoughts. I just feel we'd regret not signing him when we have the chance

I'm pretty sure the fact that a dog sled race is still the biggest draw tells you everything you need to know about Alaska. It's not just a foreign country, it's a foreign planet.

I don't watch a ton of MLS, maybe seen Yedlin play 4 or 5 games plus the WC so take what I say with a grain of salt. But the thing that impresses me most about Yedlin is how he generally plays with a certain control considering how athletic he is. With Rose and Walker who are both incredibly skilled athletes like Yedlin they seem to be traveling at rocket pace at all times often play pretty out of control. For example, both of them have a tendency after making runs to just whip crosses to no target in particular. With Yedlin, you see him slow down from warp speed and look to pick out a player. He doesn't always succeed because he's still developing but you can understand what he's looking to do. Whereas, Rose and Walker both make you say, "huh?" on a fair few occasions.

Also, don't get me wrong at this point in time Walker and Rose are both much better footballers than Yedlin. I just think you often see incredible athletes develop bad habits in football because they've relied on their athleticism coming up and they have to learn to adapt. For me, Yedlin has been able to avoid most of those habits offensively and he's more than just a burner. He can certainly pick a good cross.

Defensively, is where he has the bad habits. He's a solid one on one defender due to athleticism but he's often impatient and can get caught being too aggressive and diving in. His positioning is also not particularly good. But none of the flaws are fatal and hopefully with a manager with who has an extremely good success rate in developing fullbacks that he will be able to coach away the bad habits.

I don't watch a ton of MLS, maybe seen Yedlin play 4 or 5 games plus the WC so take what I say with a grain of salt. But the thing that impresses me most about Yedlin is how he generally plays with a certain control considering how athletic he is. With Rose and Walker who are both incredibly skilled athletes like Yedlin they seem to be traveling at rocket pace at all times often play pretty out of control. For example, both of them have a tendency after making runs to just whip crosses to no target in particular. With Yedlin, you see him slow down from warp speed and look to pick out a player. He doesn't always succeed because he's still developing but you can understand what he's looking to do. Whereas, Rose and Walker both make you say, "huh?" on a fair few occasions.

Also, don't get me wrong at this point in time Walker and Rose are both much better footballers than Yedlin. I just think you often see incredible athletes develop bad habits in football because they've relied on their athleticism coming up and they have to learn to adapt. For me, Yedlin has been able to avoid most of those habits offensively and he's more than just a burner. He can certainly pick a good cross.

Defensively, is where he has the bad habits. He's a solid one on one defender due to athleticism but he's often impatient and can get caught being too aggressive and diving in. His positioning is also not particularly good. But none of the flaws are fatal and hopefully with a manager with who has an extremely good success rate in developing fullbacks that he will be able to coach away the bad habits.
3tnERMZ.gif

Completely agree with this, and in particular the context you provide of Poch having developed some fantastic wingbacks in his short time in the Prem alone.

There aren't many American players atm who I feel could cut in the Prem, but among those who could I feel Yedlin leads the bunch. Extremely athletic, and the degree to which this kid who came through the college ranks (the college kids typically go on to do mediocrely, at best, in the MLS - Roger Espinoza is the single only exception off the top of my head) and has quickly adapted to the MLS is pretty stunning. If we could get him for cheap, leave him on loan for the rest of the season, and give Poch time to evaluate before the end of January and then possibly arrange another loan for him in England, then I think it'd be a great bit of business.

Completely agree with this, and in particular the context you provide of Poch having developed some fantastic wingbacks in his short time in the Prem alone.

There aren't many American players atm who I feel could cut in the Prem, but among those who could I feel Yedlin leads the bunch. Extremely athletic, and the degree to which this kid who came through the college ranks (the college kids typically go on to do mediocrely, at best, in the MLS - Roger Espinoza is the single only exception off the top of my head) and has quickly adapted to the MLS is pretty stunning. If we could get him for cheap, leave him on loan for the rest of the season, and give Poch time to evaluate before the end of January and then possibly arrange another loan for him in England, then I think it'd be a great bit of business.
:dempsey:

The British obsession here with the lovely United States continues

Please carry on

Ps
So far in their MLS run> Dempsey over Defoe in a landslide
:gio:

The British obsession here with the lovely United States continues

Please carry on

Ps
So far in their MLS run> Dempsey over Defoe in a landslide
:gio:

??? Defoe has been fantastic for Toronto.

Dempsey has 9 goals and 2 assists in 12 games and Defoe has 11 goals and 2 assists in 14.

Quite the landslide.

some of the americans here might listen to men in blazers. he just appeared on their last pod and seemed pretty intelligent and self-aware. I think that bodes well for him developing into a good player. Not sure if I've heard of walker come across the same way.

Back
Top Bottom