The "A-Team" vs. MANCHESTER CITY

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fidel, you're on the wrong blog...go to 'the Boy Hotspur'...you'll be much happier.
Thanks Comrade Frank , but he has no swagger or elegance , all the charm of a
red Robbo trade union activist from the mid 70's.
Show me the next Che , Pancho Villa , E Zapata then we march together .
As the great Gill Scott Heron said
" The revolution will not be televised " or a bunch of crumpet merchants said " Nice one Cyrill "

Last edited:
Purchase price of our team according to transfermarkt

Lloris - £8mil
Walker- £4mil
Alderwiereld - £11mil
Vertonghen - £9mil
Davies - £9mil
Dier - £5mil
Alli - £4mil
Lamela - £21mil
Eriksen - £9mil
Son - £21mil
Kane - Free

Vorm - £4mil
Rose - £1mil
Trippier - £3mil
Townsend - Free
Chadli - £6mil
Carroll - Free
N'Jie - £10mil

Total £125million.

Player average £6.9million

No point to be made with this, just thought it was interesting.

Wow, wow wow. Sweet baby Jesus we needed that.
I kept saying to myself, even if we win I'll still be disappointed in Poch for throwing the derby, but I'm having a hard time being disappointed or negative about anything at all.

We took them to the cleaners in the second half, what an enjoyable performance. Really makes me think anything is possible this year

Lloris - £8mil
Walker- £4mil
Alderwiereld - £11mil
Vertonghen - £9mil
Davies - £9mil
Dier - £5mil
Alli - £4mil
Lamela - £21mil
Eriksen - £9mil
Son - £21mil
Kane - Free

Vorm - £4mil
Rose - £1mil
Trippier - £3mil
Townsend - Free
Chadli - £6mil
Carroll - Free
N'Jie - £10mil

Total £125million.

Blimey Uncle Joe must have a stash under the bed or tucked up in the
old Joanna . He sets them up and young Danny boy knocks them out .

A LOT of talk this morning about the 3 offside goals... fine, scrub 'em... I'd still be happy with the 2-0 win that was left!
It's not just the talk about the offside goals but they seem to credit our equaliser as such a game changing decision.
It did shift the momentum a little and it was offside but how many teams are going to go 1-0 down against City and come back and win? Their offside decision was just as key as our equaliser.

I should probably stop watching Tottenham. I rarely miss a spurs game, but the last two games i've missed have been Chelsea at home last season and now this one.

So how did we play? Were we genuinely much better than them or were we lucky? (read about offside situations and so on)

Lloris - £8mil
Walker- £4mil
Alderwiereld - £11mil
Vertonghen - £9mil
Davies - £9mil
Dier - £5mil
Alli - £4mil
Lamela - £21mil
Eriksen - £9mil
Son - £21mil
Kane - Free

Vorm - £4mil
Rose - £1mil
Trippier - £3mil
Townsend - Free
Chadli - £6mil
Carroll - Free
N'Jie - £10mil

Total £125million.

I thought at least one of Vorm and Davies came from the Siggurdson transfer?

It's not just the talk about the offside goals but they seem to credit our equaliser as such a game changing decision.
It did shift the momentum a little and it was offside but how many teams are going to go 1-0 down against City and come back and win? Their offside decision was just as key as our equaliser.
Our build up to the first goal was offside. No one denies that- that said- city had possession afterwards and could've cleared it away and this would've been a non issue.

Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi

City had 54% possession
22 shots to our 15
8 on target each
9 corners to our 5
6 fouls to our 17

Could you please explain now how lucky we must have been to win please.
I mean, you must think that right? Look at the charts.....
Oh Sammy. So eager to pick a fight and cover up for the failure of your prediction of Spurs' doom. You apparently don't even know what a chart is. Nevermind, I'll show you one:

Each square is a shot taken during the game. The bigger the square, the higher probability that shot had of going in. Essentially, bigger squares are "higher quality" shots. Pink squares are goals.

Notice how small City's squares are. That means the shots are of low quality and unlikely to be scored. Notice how much bigger Spurs' squares are. This means we created better quality shots. And more of those.

Teams losing have a tendency to take more shots than winning teams. The shots also tend to be of lower quality. This is something called score effect, or game state. Basically, as City went behind, they got desperate and took more crap shots in an attempt to score.

Also, they brought on Jesus Navas. A talented player, but historically speaking possibly the worst shooter in Europe. He's one of the few people who consistently underperformed worse than Soldado over the last two years. (One of the others was Coutinho).

So, no luck involved. Our win was actually much better than most journalists will admit.

You should try supporting this team once in a while Sammy, they're a great bunch of lads.

I should probably stop watching Tottenham. I rarely miss a spurs game, but the last two games i've missed have been Chelsea at home last season and now this one.

So how did we play? Were we genuinely much better than them or were we lucky? (read about offside situations and so on)
City played better for most of the first half. We played them off the park in the second half.

Oh Sammy. So eager to pick a fight and cover up for the failure of your prediction of Spurs' doom. You apparently don't even know what a chart is. Nevermind, I'll show you one:

Each square is a shot taken during the game. The bigger the square, the higher probability that shot had of going in. Essentially, bigger squares are "higher quality" shots. Pink squares are goals.

Notice how small City's squares are. That means the shots are of low quality and unlikely to be scored. Notice how much bigger Spurs' squares are. This means we created better quality shots. And more of those.

Teams losing have a tendency to take more shots than winning teams. The shots also tend to be of lower quality. This is something called score effect, or game state. Basically, as City went behind, they got desperate and took more crap shots in an attempt to score.

Also, they brought on Jesus Navas. A talented player, but historically speaking possibly the worst shooter in Europe. He's one of the few people who consistently underperformed worse than Soldado over the last two years. (One of the others was Coutinho).

So, no luck involved. Our win was actually much better than most journalists will admit.

Did the stats take into account their injuries to key players? Low quality shots? Like Lamelas that nearly took out Saturn?

Live by the maths, die by the maths.

I think so. But you thinking so just makes you completely un-objective with a 100% bias.
We've been better in every game this season to you.

You probably think we were no better yesterday than we were against Woolwich, which is why your method is shite.

Back
Top Bottom