Utd at Home - 10/04 - 1600KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Exact scenario in my house at the time except when she realised I was happy and not angry she was fine.
Mate of mine had that with my home team and screamed the dutch equivalent of ave that you cunts , his son got in trouble the following day because he used those words at his teacher lol. He had to go and explain that it was all his fault and football related, worst thing is his son is at a sort of hippie/hipster school were they play alternative sports (i'm not kidding) so all he got was frowns and disapproving looks when he tried to explain the emotion that caused his outburst

Mate of mine had that with my home team and screamed the dutch equivalent of ave that you cunts , his son got in trouble the following day because he used those words at his teacher lol. He had to go and explain that it was all his fault and football related, worst thing is his son is at a sort of hippie/hipster school were they play alternative sports (i'm not kidding) so all he got was frowns and disapproving looks when he tried to explain the emotion that caused his outburst
Sounds straight out of fast show

Video link:

Article link: Spurs v Manchester United Preview

Content:

No pressure, but to keep any hopes of the title alive, Spurs really have to win on Sunday afternoon.

There’s a bit of a debate on right now over who should start between Vertonghen and Wimmer – assuming both are fit. I can understand arguments saying not to disturb a working partnership. And I can understand not bringing Jan back for such a big game. But not only do I believe Vertonghen is the superior player I also think this game is made for him.

United play such a Dutch interpretation of the game it borders on satire and Vertonghen is the Dutchiest of defenders – especially for a Belgian. Reading through-balls, defending the channels, early interceptions… Although Wimmer does all those things his stand-out strength is his ability in the air and unless Van Gaal unleashes Fellaini on us again there’s just no need for that.

So I’m crossing my fingers for a Vertonghen start and a Lamela start with Wimmer and
Son the obvious alternatives.

screen-shot-2016-04-08-at-16-06-45.png

No-one is quicker to point out how boring Van Gaal’s Manchester United has been than United fans themselves. Conservative, slow, possession as a defensive method, reliant on individuals making something of nothing are all attributes worthy of complaint but I’d like to quickly take a look at why.

I don’t believe Van Gaal is a defensive coach – his record at Barca shows that. I don’t think he has a passion for 1-0 wins or retaining possession for the sake of retaining possession. I don’t think it’s simply a case of having good defensive players and poor attacking players.

I think Louis Van Gaal recognises an overall lack of quality, a lack of balance in the squad, and has decided that it’s better to lean on the defensive and attempt to win every game 1-0 than it is to go the other way, do as Everton have done, and throw caution to the wind. And we’ve seen from the couple of games Van Gaal has caved into the pressure, set United up to play an attacking game and given very Everton-esque performance.

I mentioned that Manchester United play a very Dutch style of football and what I mean by that is they stretch the game to an extreme horizontally and squash it vertically. They play safe passes to feet looking to swap overloads in wide areas from side to side in attempt to stretch the oppositions defence from which they create either crossing opportunities or release creative players into the channels.

screen-shot-2016-04-08-at-16-09-31.png

Pochettino will likely instruct his full-backs to surrender those wide areas leaving it to our wider attacking players to defend that space. That’s a hard ask of them and we’ll likely allow United some crosses. But their lack of height, our defensive ability and Lloris’ reading of crosses means it’s unlikely to be a fruitful path to goal.

The Old Trafford pitch is enormous and White Hart Lane below the FA’s minimum legal width. That change should be quite jarring for United. Not only in them attempting to stretch our defence. But in their ability to resist our pressing.

United’s high-quality movement of the ball across the width of defence makes them very hard to press and Blind’s ability on the ball is comparable to Alderweireld’s. It might be tempting, as I’ve suggested for a couple of games in the past, to restrict how far we press in order to concentrate it on certain players and keep up it’s intensity but I’ve yet to see Pochettino apply such an idea and Lamela especially seems to have no off-switch when it comes to relentless chasing down the ball across every blade of grass.

One of the main themes of Pochettino’s style is winning the ball as high-up the pitch as possible but United can be guilty of leaving their midfield exposed when attacking and winning the ball at those points and quickly moving the ball into those exposed areas to drag Carrick out of position may be the most effective way of opening them up.

United will use our high-tempo, pressing, style of play and the fact that we need a win to frustrate and tire us. An early goal in this game would mean everything but at the same time trying to keep up the intensity needed to score for the entire 90 minutes will kill us. Tottenham need to put the occasion to the side and demonstrate calmness and self-control in this game.

screen-shot-2016-04-08-at-16-01-50.png

@TTTactics for more

You got everything spot on. Please keep this up.

I was amazed by the Lamela goal build up and finish.
60 yd diagonal from Walker, deft flick by Eriksen to Rose, one touch to Lamela who first times it home. Three passes the length of the pitch..........goal.

Wow

:eriksenlol:

Listening to Van Gaal saying we were fortunate and they had better moments than us makes me laugh. I've sat for years and years and watched how Spurs stuck it to ManU for most of the game only to be done by counter and then in the same fashion we would concede two or three more in a few minutes. Now the tables are turned and because we did it they make light of it.

Listening to Van Gaal saying we were fortunate and they had better moments than us makes me laugh. I've sat for years and years and watched how Spurs stuck it to ManU for most of the game only to be done by counter and then in the same fashion we would concede two or three more in a few minutes. Now the tables are turned and because we did it they make light of it.
Just going to post along those lines. Just watching what I taped yesterday.
I his post match interview LVG says that 'up until they scored we were as good as them, and could have taken the lead.'
He obviously was jotting something down and didn't see the Lamela miss - which was more of a miss than Martial's- which would have given us a 1-0 lead before HT.
I thought we were slow to start first half. They tried to press us and it worked to an extent. However, a few of our players were a bit sloppy. Moussa, Ali and Kane with their control and passing. Otherwise it wouldn't have worked so well.
Having said that, they didn't threaten us much at all and Rashford, Martial and Linegard were non existent. Too busy trying to stop us.
It looked as though Dier was told to be careful and concentrated more on positioning than tackling avoiding a booking.
The only negative was the way he/we seemed to let Martial waltz through us.
It all coincided with Mensah going off, but I think we would have got a result anyway. We were grinding them down.
Lamela was fucking awesome. From the off he was lie Bambi on Coke. For the first time his runs were spotted and the ball delivered. Such a shame he never scored the first.
The third goal was amazing to watch.

It was good mate looking at Giggs watching LVG write on his pad with the expression "This cunt does not know what he is doing"? GET ME OUT OF HERE :wansum:

It was good mate looking at Giggs watching LVG write on his pad with the expression "This cunt does not know what he is doing"? GET ME OUT OF HERE :wansum:

To be honest Giggs probably wouldn't know what to do either, other than snap chatting dick pix to women. He's been the 2nd in command to 2 failed regimes, how they think he could be the saviour is beyond me.

If you were a genuine new comer to the forum then you would not have understood the implications of being Arc's multi.

I don't know what's funnier. That you are sad enough to have these delusions, or that someone actually agreed with you.

I've lurked here for about 2 years. Every now and then i think about registering so that i can put a couple posters on ignore. I didn't do it 'till now. On the list you go.

Also, stop fucking with my profile page, you freak.

I don't know what's funnier. That you are sad enough to have these delusions, or that someone actually agreed with you.

I've lurked here for about 2 years. Every now and then i think about registering so that i can put a couple posters on ignore. I didn't do it 'till now. On the list you go.

Also, stop fucking with my profile page, you freak.
What a dirty lurking little cyber creep you are.

No Mrs P we didn't boss them throughout the game. For the first hour we were out fought and out competed.
If any one disagrees with that then you weren't watching. Danny Rose was prolly the best player on the pitch today. Today showed that it's a bit of a luxury playing Lamela and Eriksen in the same team as Dier and Dembele were right up against it.
Beg to differ, and most people agree with me, so ya bah hoo, suck humbugs ......... I've had a glass of champagne, so probably not making a lot of sense. :kaneshh: :fingers:

No Mrs P we didn't boss them throughout the game. For the first hour we were out fought and out competed.
If any one disagrees with that then you weren't watching. Danny Rose was prolly the best player on the pitch today. Today showed that it's a bit of a luxury playing Lamela and Eriksen in the same team as Dier and Dembele were right up against it.

Hogwash. And as for "prolly" I truly despair.

Back
Top Bottom