Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hmm really like that Walker-Lamela combo down the right, as Lamela cuts in a little it leaves so much space for a charging walker down the touch line, they compliment very well which is one of the advantages of the inverted winger

Watched the highlights today and it's a magnificent goal, the one bit of concern was Burnley had a late free kick, that Lloris saved and I'd argue that came from a sloppy piece of passing from Lamela.

He still makes decisions that are costly and we need to iron that out of his game. There is undoubted talent there though, his close control is a joy to behold at times and the work he put in to the cross in the first half that Kane didn't connect with was sublime.

It's kind of like comparing Lamela with the serial podcast, you can't quite call it on the evidence, he's too brilliant at times to call him shit, but he's too indisciplined or wasteful to call him brilliant.

Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi said it a number of pages back and I think today went a little way toward proving what he said. Lamela will come on leaps and bounds playing in front of Walker. It gives him total freedom, he doesn't have to worry about cutting inside because Walker will always provide width going forward. He also doesn't have to concern himself with tracking back because very few players will give Walker a real problem and even if he is struggling the legs that Mason and Bentaleb provide in the midfield pairing are more than apt to help him out.

Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi said it a number of pages back and I think today went a little way toward proving what he said. Lamela will come on leaps and bounds playing in front of Walker. It gives him total freedom, he doesn't have to worry about cutting inside because Walker will always provide width going forward. He also doesn't have to concern himself with tracking back because very few players will give Walker a real problem and even if he is struggling the legs that Mason and Bentaleb provide in the midfield pairing are more than apt to help him out.

if you noticed after his goal, walker run across and gave him a big hug...
the combo is certainly promising..walker still needs to work on his delieveries though..

best thing about Lamela for me is even when he's not having the best of days he rarely hides and always goes looking to get on the ball

the similarities to a young Ronaldo are clear for all to see

Yeah at the same age of 22 Ronaldo had received Ballon D'or and FIFA World Player of the Year nominations. The similarities are just uncanny and are clear for all to see.

Last edited:
Much better performance & hope it continues but one swallow does not make a cum swapping party.

I hope he's finally settled in & is beginning to show is true talent

Does anyone think lamela reminds them of a very young Ronaldo, when he had all the skills but spent most of the time in a corner doing tricks, scoring the odd goal and making silly decisions.

Every time lamela has a bad game it seems to be decision making, such as holding to the ball for too long and so on. I really thing his only problem is maturity in his football and he will get better and better over time.

Does anyone think lamela reminds them of a very young Ronaldo, when he had all the skills but spent most of the time in a corner doing tricks, scoring the odd goal and making silly decisions.

Every time lamela has a bad game it seems to be decision making, such as holding to the ball for too long and so on. I really thing his only problem is maturity in his football and he will get better and better over time.
He's a bit older then the CR7 who hadn't learned how to make smart decisions, but I know what you mean. I still don't think he's handling the pace of the Premier League yet but the Burnley game was a good sign that he's getting there.

He had a reasonable game including a very good goal yesterday, much better than his usual stuff. I think the difference was that he stayed much wider and so wasn't tackling Eriksen for half of the match, and also that Walker will help whoever plays in front of him have a better game. It was encouraging and let's hope it continues to improve.

Yeah at the same age of 22 Ronaldo had received Ballon D'or and FIFA World Player of the Year nominations. The similarities are just uncanny and are clear for all to see.

They are a similar style of attacking player and some of their dribbling and movement is alike, that is quite clear. Lamela has a better defensive work rate though.

That's not to say they will develop at a similar rate or Lamela will ever hit the same heights but he has that direct dribbling and trickery plus he can finish, shoot and create like Ronaldo. Ronaldo is more two footed though. If we give Lamela a solid platform to develop his potential on then he could be a big goal threat from wide drifting in like you guessed it Ronaldo. The partnership on the right with Walker should be great to watch develop over the next few months, injuries permitting an all.

They are a similar style of attacking player and some of their dribbling and movement is alike, that is quite clear. Lamela has a better defensive work rate though.

That's not to say they will develop at a similar rate or Lamela will ever hit the same heights but he has that direct dribbling and trickery plus he can finish, shoot and create like Ronaldo. Ronaldo is more two footed though. If we give Lamela a solid platform to develop his potential on then he could be a big goal threat from wide drifting in like you guessed it Ronaldo. The partnership on the right with Walker should be great to watch develop over the next few months, injuries permitting an all.
Ronaldo also seems a lot more selfish that Lamela. I think their personalities are different enough that while their core skillsets seem similar, they won't have the same kinds of careers. Erik's too shy and family-oriented to chase his ego to that degree. Which may mean he stays at Spurs longer than some may think. At least, going by his twitter activity, that's what I'd say.

Ronaldo also seems a lot more selfish that Lamela. I think their personalities are different enough that while their core skillsets seem similar, they won't have the same kinds of careers. Erik's too shy and family-oriented to chase his ego to that degree. Which may mean he stays at Spurs longer than some may think. At least, going by his twitter activity, that's what I'd say.

young Ronaldo was abit of a shy mummys boy too

if/when Lamela starts to produce the goods consistently there's no telling how all the publicity and fame will change him

he has the drive through and the confidence on the pitch

young Ronaldo was abit of a shy mummys boy too

if/when Lamela starts to produce the goods consistently there's no telling how all the publicity and fame will change him

he has the drive through and the confidence on the pitch
I hope it's a bit different though. Ronaldo is an outgoing person naturally, while Erik is already settled down with a long-term girlfriend and seems abjectly terrified of cameras. But you're right, the attention from success may change him, I just hope it doesn't. He's got a good character, and it would be a shame if that were lost.

Back
Top Bottom