Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair enough, only thing I disagree entirely with is the comparison of Lamela to the players who came from the academy. I think a lot of people have forgotten how Bentaleb, Kane, and Mason were talked about when they first got into the team. They get the benefit of the doubt now because they have proved it on the pitch.

Check out the beginning of the Kane and Bentaleb threads and tell me they got an easy ride. I think guys like Soldado and Lamela who have proved absolutely nothing over two seasons have gotten a much cleaner ride than the academy boys did because of their pricetag.

Agree on the price tag issue, for some reason soldado should get a million and one chances but when Kane got played once or twice a lot of fans went mad.

You should only judge a player at what they do, not how much they cost.

He should play every minute of all our remaining games. Is he frustrating? Yes. Is there a top player in there? Also yes.

Yes to the first, not so sure about the second one.

So last season doesn't count, this is his first 'real' season. He tries, he's young, today we've even had "he's not Adebayor"!! Give me strength. Yes he got an assist, all he had to do was take a heavy touch or fall over it when 3 on 1.

I want him to succeed I really do but there have been, at best, flashes of potential, that is all. But even if he was (consistently) twice as good as he is now he'd still only just about be a half-decent player.

He's a mile away from being class, he has to play every game now to try and help him adjust.

Fair enough, only thing I disagree entirely with is the comparison of Lamela to the players who came from the academy. I think a lot of people have forgotten how Bentaleb, Kane, and Mason were talked about when they first got into the team. They get the benefit of the doubt now because they have proved it on the pitch.

Check out the beginning of the Kane and Bentaleb threads and tell me they got an easy ride. I think guys like Soldado and Lamela who have proved absolutely nothing over two seasons have gotten a much cleaner ride than the academy boys did because of their pricetag.

Yeah they got stick. Possibly they have had less stick than Bentaleb and Mason. I don't know. But Lamella and Soldado are different problems.

Soldado is an established mature experienced player. I've really wanted him to succeed and I've loved a lot of his work - flicks, passes, effort. But at the end of the day, strikers get judged on goals. And to date, it hasn't worked out.

Lamella isn't a striker. He hasn't reached the dizzy Bale heights. He might never. Some of his performances have been better than they were perceived, but because he's not doing what Bale did and because of the price we paid, they were viewed ordinary or even bad.

Like previously indicated....I hope, expect and demand more from Lamella. He has the tools - that's obvious. His effort can't be criticised. I think for the most part we look and play better as a team with him in it and that his work (that isn't omg tekkers, super skills) is under appreciated.

But thats not to say he shouldn't do more......Fingers crossed he will

Agree on the price tag issue, for some reason soldado should get a million and one chances but when Kane got played once or twice a lot of fans went mad.

You should only judge a player at what they do, not how much they cost.
A lot of fans.... knew zilch about Harry
As a club we don't have a great record for producing stars from youth and we have been clamouring for a decent striker for many years - since Berbatov and Keane.
So seeing Kane as an option, possibly only option - views and comments are already biased. Probably more in hatred/anger at Levy rather than at Harry.
Harry may have recieved the butt of it, but really it was frustation with Levy and our transfers.
Whereas, Soldado was a big buy with a reputation... he'll just take time to bed in. There was a history of many goals scored to believe in, just have to be patient.
Was it fair on Harry? No.
Fuck me he's a great lad and we are lucky to have him.

Regards Lamella... I'm just posing a question here and I'm not saying he doesn't have bad games. but the good work he does, you can't tell me some folks don't appreciate it because in the back of their mind - he cost £30 mill, should be doing that week in week out, should be doing more. should be doing 5 man solo runs and scoring like Bale did.

Last edited:
A lot of fans.... knew zilch about Harry
As a club we don't have a great record for producing stars from youth and we have been clamouring for a decent striker for many years - since Berbatov and Keane.
So seeing Kane as an option, possibly only option - views and comments are already biased. Probably more in hatred/anger at Levy rather than at Harry.
Harry may have recieved the butt of it, but really it was frustation with Levy and our transfers.

Regards Lamella... I'm just posing a question here and I'm not saying he doesn't have bad games. but the good work he does, you can't tell me some folks don't appreciate it because in the back of their mind - he cost £30 mill, should be doing that week in week out, should be doing more. should be doing 5 man solo runs and scoring like Bale did.

In regards to Lamela and Lane we should not judge on price tag just on performance.

Last season Kane put on some great displays at the end of last season, he was IMO at th me time our best forward in the last few games but most fans seemed to say nice game but he'll never last, let's send him on Loan again. It appeared that his lack of price tag meant people judged him as shit even disbelieving their own eyes at his performances. Maybe it is our recent history of youth players not being good but I found our attitude to our youth players was retarded until Kane and Bentaleb stuck up two fingers to our perceptions.

In respects to Lamela the price tag and way of playing meant he was compared to Bale but he is a different kind of player and is still very young. Unlike Soldado he has a chance to improve and grow so I still have some hope for him.

Not sure what can be done about him. He was truely awful today and is showing no signs of improving. I'm not even really seeing any glimpses of promise to hang my hat on.

He works hard. I'll give him that but he doesn't look like he's been coached a day in his life. His game is littered with really bad habits like the totally open way he runs with the ball, never protecting it or seeming totally in control.

His insistence of performing these idiotic "no look" passes is really driving me nuts too. It's like he's watched a Ronaldinho YouTube clip and is trying to mimic him.

He plays like a kid on a play ground. No structure or professionalism to his game.

If he cost 10m (which is about all he's worth on his showings this far - if that!) we'd all be happy to cut our loses at this stage or at least ship him out on loan.

The criticism of him is harsher because he cost more money. Has anyone actually watched him at Roma? I have no idea what he did there but some people seem to think he was an absolute don. Based only on what he's done here this season he looks like he tries hard - maybe too hard in the same way that Holtby looked. But he looks like he's trying to play to the game plan - pressing, high tempo, direct play. He just looks a like a player who's not necessarily match fit as such but just a bit behind the beat when it comes to the tempo of the game. Constantly losing the ball from a poor first touch, picking the wrong pass, making rash challenges and getting cards. He's far from the footballing south american sophisticate that I was led to believe we were signing on this seasons showing. But he has shown a willingness however misguided to get involved and keep on trying stuff which is better than Lennon's form before the last few weeks rolled around and he became Everton's best player by a mile. Someone who knows much more about football than me will have to make a decision this window on whether he's going to get better with time or he's reached his limit. I'd personally give him a couple of more seasons and back him. The boy plays with his heart on his sleeve all the time. He just has to keep his football brain connected to his legs a bit better.

I really want him to succeed and agree that he should be given the go-ahead to play the rest of the season, how else are we really going to see if he can realise his potential? He should be given at least six or so games at the beginning of next season, and if he still can't prove his worth, then get rid.... that is if we can find anyone to take him of our hands.

The criticism of him is harsher because he cost more money. Has anyone actually watched him at Roma? I have no idea what he did there but some people seem to think he was an absolute don. Based only on what he's done here this season he looks like he tries hard - maybe too hard in the same way that Holtby looked. But he looks like he's trying to play to the game plan - pressing, high tempo, direct play. He just looks a like a player who's not necessarily match fit as such but just a bit behind the beat when it comes to the tempo of the game. Constantly losing the ball from a poor first touch, picking the wrong pass, making rash challenges and getting cards. He's far from the footballing south american sophisticate that I was led to believe we were signing on this seasons showing. But he has shown a willingness however misguided to get involved and keep on trying stuff which is better than Lennon's form before the last few weeks rolled around and he became Everton's best player by a mile. Someone who knows much more about football than me will have to make a decision this window on whether he's going to get better with time or he's reached his limit. I'd personally give him a couple of more seasons and back him. The boy plays with his heart on his sleeve all the time. He just has to keep his football brain connected to his legs a bit better.
It may be that he will never be suited to the English game, have we got the time to wait and find out?

I can't help but compare him to bale in only the way that he seemed like a bit of a lost boy in the beginning. he does try hard though.

And we played better with him in Rather than Townsend.

Don't get me wrong he was poor. But his pressing and defensive ability on the right is soo much better than Andros. I am disappointed that the competition between the two hasn't spurred either on to be better in the same way that it has done for Danny Rose.

The fact that we "looked better" today has all to do with Newcastle and nothing to do with Lamela in the side instead of Townsend. Also he was terrible I'm so tired of the excuses for him. His price tag is the only reason people still give him any time of day.

It is quite clear to me that he is very poorly suited to the English game. My fear is because of the price we paid we are stuck with him for awhile. I can't see anyone paying over 10m for him (if even that). he shown in Italy, so that is where the interest would come from and all their clubs are skint.

I would agree we have nothing to play for rest of season so might as well play him, although same can be said for Andros. I would be willing to bet we could get more money for Townsend than Lamela if we out both up for sale

I would pick him over Townsend every time.
After that performance today, I'd give him another run out or two just because I want to see him with a couple of games under his belt. That being said, he was shit today and a complete liability in the first half.

Back
Top Bottom