Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are we all agreed ?

It's not going to ever happen is it ?

Very poor footballer x
he looks so out of place & out of his comfort zone. like a little kid playing with the bigger boys. he trys his heart out but it just isnt happening for him. clearly got skill but not suited to the premiership at all. i just want to put him out his misery. should go back to italy where he thrives!

I just don't think it can be a coincidence that our attack has been so much more effective than it has been in the last couple of games when Lamela didn't start. Yes, he made quite a few mistakes but he probably was a bit nervous and felt he had something to prove (which he did) after making his first start after such a long time on the bench. I thought he got into a few good positions today and hopefully can build on that in the next few games plus I think he can offer more than Townsend, offensively and defensively. I know it may be stupid but I still have faith in him and still desperately want him to succeed here. Plus he got an assist today and has more of them than anyone else on our team (as far as I know) so his performance today couldn't have been that bad.
or we played newcastle who have lost 6 in a row & been crap for ages. we could play stefan freud against them & look better attackingly. u cant help but look better against them. they also had sisokko & tiote missing so were even weaker in midfield than usual.

Last edited:
Lamella isn't a striker. He hasn't reached the dizzy Bale heights. He might never. Some of his performances have been better than they were perceived, but because he's not doing what Bale did and because of the price we paid, they were viewed ordinary or even bad.
the last thing i think of when i see lamela is bale! maybe that will change if he grows his hair longer & wears a hair band. then they will have 1 thing in commen.

He was awful again yesterday. I'm watching the highlights and still can't understand what he was doing at the Newcastle goal. He didn't look one bit interested and had no awareness of Colback sneaking behind him. Lazy bastard.

What does it mean to say you'll pick him over Townsend though? Both are bad but in different ways. One being excused for a huge price tag another for being english. I don't think either should play.

We need to stick with him, he was extremely poor yesterday, but we if we give him games he may develop. Football is a strange game sometlmes, but even Paulinho showed signs of being a player yesterday - that tella you a lot..

People saying you would pick Lamela over Townsend, I don't see what the point is really? They have both been shit. I have a feeling we will see Townsend sold in the summer as since he is English and some would take him up on potential he will fetch a bigger fee than Lamela. I really don't know what we are going to do with Lamela he doesn't look suited to this league and unless we take a huge bath on his feee we are basically stuck with him.

I am not one who believes we should just play him for the sake of it and pray he comes good. I think we have seen enough to know that this will probably never happen for him with us, however the rest of the season he probably should play. Maybe he can score a few and make other clubs take notice? Come next season though, barring an incredible transformation he should remain on the bench and only get chances in Europa, etc.. as we clearly need to find an upgrade to the position.

People saying you would pick Lamela over Townsend, I don't see what the point is really? They have both been shit. I have a feeling we will see Townsend sold in the summer as since he is English and some would take him up on potential he will fetch a bigger fee than Lamela. I really don't know what we are going to do with Lamela he doesn't look suited to this league and unless we take a huge bath on his feee we are basically stuck with him.

I am not one who believes we should just play him for the sake of it and pray he comes good. I think we have seen enough to know that this will probably never happen for him with us, however the rest of the season he probably should play. Maybe he can score a few and make other clubs take notice? Come next season though, barring an incredible transformation he should remain on the bench and only get chances in Europa, etc.. as we clearly need to find an upgrade to the position.

I think they are just saying they prefer one player over another occupying the same position.

There is literally nothing between them imo both of them waste possession and create something 1 out of 20 attempts. Only difference I see is one cost 30m and is Argentinian the other cost us nothing and is English.

There's a lot of differences between them, however it might be possible, and quite certainly if you look at their performances this season, that none of them should start in that position next season.

There's a lot of differences between them, however it might be possible, and quite certainly if you look at their performances this season, that none of them should start in that position next season.
No you're right they are totally different players. What I meant is performance wise and end product from both has not been up to standard. When you put there assist/goals statistic side by side it is sad reading. Since Poch system only requires one striker we really need goals out of the other 3 attacking positions. Eriksen and Chadli have proven they belong in the side but the third position needs an upgrade quite clearly. I don't see either of Townsend or Lamela as long term solution. NBoth of them have had more than a fair chance at nailing down the position and not taken it.

Our system does not fit Lamela or Soldado, they are not physical players. Lamela played better in a 4-3-3 at roma, he was surrounded by a stronger midfield. I think he is the type of player who would be connecting passes around the box and creating throughballs rather than driblling and trying to beat players. If we want to play pacy direct football rather than pass i suggest he be sold.

Our system does not fit Lamela or Soldado, they are not physical players. Lamela played better in a 4-3-3 at roma, he was surrounded by a stronger midfield. I think he is the type of player who would be connecting passes around the box and creating throughballs rather than driblling and trying to beat players. If we want to play pacy direct football rather than pass i suggest he be sold.
I agree, but this brings up the dilemma saying we should sell him is one thing but actually getting someone to pay a reasonable fee is another. We all know Levy's track record no way is he going to sell him for a quarter of what we paid which is probably all we could get for Lamela on open market right now. I think best option for next season (barring a remarkable transformation) is buy another player for the third attacking spot behind Kane and loan out Lamela to Italy to either find his feet again with regular games or drive his price tag back up.

I think he should be sold, but some of you aren't reading the entire the game fully. Yes he loses the ball but from time to time ,but he creates those sublime chances and find openings when we are in deadlock situations. Townsend and Lennon do not have the vision or football brain to do that.Then there is the added dilemma of levy and co bringing in a poorer player, like they have done in successive transfers window.Ideally stick with him another year,have fredericks or someone else be rotated with him.

Back
Top Bottom