Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Keep him for another year at the very least. No idea how people think he won't kick on at least a little bit

Don't feel like posting it somewhere else: wouldn't mind having Mane, but man is he cuntish

Here's my take on Lamela so far and what we need to do.

The Serie A Lamela:
You look at all the highlights of Lamela in Serie A and you can clearly see that the defenders keep backing away from him till he gets close to the penalty box. That is how Serie A is set up and how defences play there. Now Lamela is an extremely skilled player who has a bag of dribbling tricks that can mug defenders. This is what made all the Spurs fans excited about him. And because he had time in Serie A, he can dribble from the halfway line with the ball at his feet because the defenders keep backing away from him.

The Premier league Lamela:
How many times have we seen Lamela lose the ball while trying to dribble? And if you look clearly, it is almost always him trying to dribble from the halfway line or far from the penalty box like he does in Serie A, but the premier league defenders don't wait till the player gets close to the goal. The mentality in the premier league is that it is better to foul a player far from the goal than wait for him to get close. So pretty much everytime he loses the ball trying to do what he became famous for in Serie A.

The 30 million winger:
What do you expect from a player who costs 30 million? What Hazard does every week.
Now I know all the Lamela backers will scream it was not his fault that the club paid that much money. But in the end, 30 million is 30 million and it was a colossal mistake.

Excuses, excuses, excuses:
First it was "He is a young guy in a completely different culture". Next came the "He was injured most of the time". Then "He needs more starts in the premier league". Now it is the "He is still young and runs a lot". Lennon can do what he does right now defensively.

What next:
Hate saying this as I was really excited to see him sign for us. He came in as the next Cristiano Ronaldo. But we have to be realistic about this. He has indeed had several opportunities. And with every game and month he is losing value and what we did with Bentley, Assou Ekotto, etc is looking like the most likely scenario. We are not a club who can remain patient for a 30 million player to come good when the most likely scenario is going to be him losing value year after year and then being sold to someone in Argentina for 5 million.

We need to get rid of him to a Serie A team, because that style suits him. And I know we will all feel bad when he picks up and continues his blistering form from Serie A a couple of years ago, but we cannot help that he is not suited for our league.

I think if we get 20 million for him, we need to sell and try getting someone else for that money. This might be riskier than sticking with Lamela, but a risk we have to take since potentially we can reap massive rewards if it clicks.

And again the same old argument will rise up about how Bale took time to improve. How Kane took time to improve and how stupid we would have been to get rid of them when they were not that good. But here's the difference. Lamela doesn't have to improve. He is a terrific player in the right setting. He is still the same player who was running rings around the defenders in Serie A. And from clear evidence, we can see that his style will not suit the premier league. So we need to consider that and sell him to get someone else in. With Bale and Kane, their style was in perfect cohesion with what was required in the premier league. They just needed to improve themselves.

Here's my take on Lamela so far and what we need to do.

The Serie A Lamela:
You look at all the highlights of Lamela in Serie A and you can clearly see that the defenders keep backing away from him till he gets close to the penalty box. That is how Serie A is set up and how defences play there. Now Lamela is an extremely skilled player who has a bag of dribbling tricks that can mug defenders. This is what made all the Spurs fans excited about him. And because he had time in Serie A, he can dribble from the halfway line with the ball at his feet because the defenders keep backing away from him.

The Premier league Lamela:
How many times have we seen Lamela lose the ball while trying to dribble? And if you look clearly, it is almost always him trying to dribble from the halfway line or far from the penalty box like he does in Serie A, but the premier league defenders don't wait till the player gets close to the goal. The mentality in the premier league is that it is better to foul a player far from the goal than wait for him to get close. So pretty much everytime he loses the ball trying to do what he became famous for in Serie A.

The 30 million winger:
What do you expect from a player who costs 30 million? What Hazard does every week.
Now I know all the Lamela backers will scream it was not his fault that the club paid that much money. But in the end, 30 million is 30 million and it was a colossal mistake.

Excuses, excuses, excuses:
First it was "He is a young guy in a completely different culture". Next came the "He was injured most of the time". Then "He needs more starts in the premier league". Now it is the "He is still young and runs a lot". Lennon can do what he does right now defensively.

What next:
Hate saying this as I was really excited to see him sign for us. He came in as the next Cristiano Ronaldo. But we have to be realistic about this. He has indeed had several opportunities. And with every game and month he is losing value and what we did with Bentley, Assou Ekotto, etc is looking like the most likely scenario. We are not a club who can remain patient for a 30 million player to come good when the most likely scenario is going to be him losing value year after year and then being sold to someone in Argentina for 5 million.

We need to get rid of him to a Serie A team, because that style suits him. And I know we will all feel bad when he picks up and continues his blistering form from Serie A a couple of years ago, but we cannot help that he is not suited for our league.

I think if we get 20 million for him, we need to sell and try getting someone else for that money. This might be riskier than sticking with Lamela, but a risk we have to take since potentially we can reap massive rewards if it clicks.

And again the same old argument will rise up about how Bale took time to improve. How Kane took time to improve and how stupid we would have been to get rid of them when they were not that good. But here's the difference. Lamela doesn't have to improve. He is a terrific player in the right setting. He is still the same player who was running rings around the defenders in Serie A. And from clear evidence, we can see that his style will not suit the premier league. So we need to consider that and sell him to get someone else in. With Bale and Kane, their style was in perfect cohesion with what was required in the premier league. They just needed to improve themselves.

I don't agree with you that Lamela is a a lost cause, but you do make some very valid points. It might very well be an example of a player unable to transform his playing style to a different league. If we get £20 million I think we will sell and I'll be okay with that - just as I'm okay with keeping him here for another season.

Probably his best PL game for us. Not that the previous best was that good. But was always looking for the ball and used it well. Like I said last week lets give him the rest of the season and then judge. More games like that and he'll be an asset

I like him. He tries like a bastard and that gets him brownie points in my book. I'm a believer in the thought that an out of form player needs one to go in off his arse sometimes and I'm hoping the elbow goal from yesterday kicks things off for him.
His tracking back and work ethic make him worth a place in the team.

Have a look at the stats and Mason did better than both Davies and Schnederlin. In fact Mason made the most tackles, as he usually does, in the team today with 6 ball winning tackles.
Bentaleb out did Davies, but Nabil is not so good at tackling. He made one.
Take Mason out of the midfield and we lose a lot. He is always making angles to receive the ball, is a decent passer and is a tireless grafter.
Seeing as this is Mason's first season he's doing ok. I think he and Bentaleb are okay there together it's what's in front of them that let's us down sometimes.
The reason they, Southampton, are so god defensively is because each and every one of them defends when they haven't got the ball.
We are much better offensively than them.

Defo worth another season. With more movement around him, he'll shine I think. We are just all too often stood still, not losing our markers or creating space for others, and it means flair players like Lamela look very ordinary.

If he can add some more goals to his game, he'll be far superior to Chadli and Townsend.

Defo worth another season. With more movement around him, he'll shine I think. We are just all too often stood still, not losing our markers or creating space for others, and it means flair players like Lamela look very ordinary.

If he can add some more goals to his game, he'll be far superior to Chadli and Townsend.

I like the fact he presses and defends from the front, it's why even when he plays bad the team seems to look better than with Towsend in it. There is no question he has great talent I just want to see it more, hopefully next season perhaps, it's annoying as there is a really good player in there.

We should never have Townsend and Chadli on the pitch at the same time, the team shape falls to pieces because of their lack of pressing.

Can't understand some of the praise for Lamela from Saturday's performance? He was OK but nothing more. Actually aside from Bentaleb and Dier I thought our whole team was kind of meh...with the exception of Davies who was atrocious.

Still far too slow out there (case in point) and will never work as a Winger in that 4231 Inverted winger tactic. Maybe an option as a CAM or as a natural winger but time to turn the page for me. Or possibly loan him to lower club in the Prem where he can minutes on the reg to see if he can succeed in the Prem. Either way, I don't think its wise to playing him next year to see if he can finally sort things out and be a big contributor. Spurs have enough questions marks, and need a guy on the wing who have much more of an immediate impact.

Last edited:
Still far too slow out there (case in point) and will never work as a Winger in that 4231 Inverted winger tactic. Maybe an option as a CAM or as a natural winger but time to turn the page for me. Or possibly loan him to lower club in the Prem where he can minutes on the reg to see if he can succeed in the Prem. Either way, I don't think its wise to playing him next year to see if he can finally sort things out and be a big contributor. Spurs have enough questions marks, and need a guy on the wing who have much more of an immediate impact.

What actually are you expecting him to do in this example out of interest?

What actually are you expecting him to do in this example out of interest?
The fact that he is so slooow. Has a few yards on the defender behind him, 2 v 1 if he can get up the pitch in a timely matter and it all goes to shit. His exact issue when taking on defenders. Not skilled enough nor quick enough. You need at least one of those attributes

The fact that he is so slooow. Has a few yards on the defender behind him, 2 v 1 if he can get up the pitch in a timely matter and it all goes to shit. His exact issue when taking on defenders. Not skilled enough nor quick enough. You need at least one of those attributes
So you are expecting him to beat both of the defenders?
At what point is it or will it be 2v1 in our favour?

Back
Top Bottom