Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing I tend to notice is that when he comes into a bit of form or when the teams playing well with him in the team, he gets dropped. It wouldn't surprise me, despite him being more than solid against Southampton, he gets dropped for Man City, which is not good for his confidence. He should play in our remaining 4 league games.

All I was doing was giving an example of why your statement that laid out as an unwritten rule is bollocks :adethumbup:

I'm not saying its an unwritten rule that being light and slow is a given for player not succeeding in the Prem. You obviously need other attributes to offset these physical challenges that Beckham utilized. What attribute do you see in Lamela's game which will offset these physical limitations ?

Last edited:
I think the harping is pretty straight forward and valid. While personally I do value Europa (unlike others), I still prioritize the Prem well ahead of that fixture. And those stats are weighted more towards his Europa productivity while his Prem contributions have been pretty poor overall. We have (3) attacking options behind (1) Striker who all need to produce goals and Lamela hasn't dropped an inkling that he can score goals on the reg in the Prem.
Actually he has 6 assists in the prem and 2 goals, so most of his stats are form the prem.
Lets compare his prem stats with Coutihno, who has played 387 more minutes in the prem than Lamela.

Lamela: Chances created: 47 Key Passes: 41. Assists: 6 Goals 2 Tackles won: 55
Coutihno: CC: 45. KP: 41. ASSTS: 4. GLS: 4. TW: 41

So, everyone seems to consider Coutihno a success.

I'd say forget the fucking price tag. It's not his fault. Fuck knows why we paid £30m for him as he was realistically worth about £10m.
However, someone made a few bob. Blame Baldini for that. He allowed us to get ripped off because everyone knew we had the £ and Willian had betrayed us.

I watch Lamela closely each time he plays. He is always making himself available and gets into great positions and more often than not doesn't get the ball. When he gets the ball he gets closed down quick and more often than not by more than one player. If he gets the ball and there is a pass on, he will make it. However, in too many games he gets the ball and nothing is on.
He has made some wonderful passes for goals, something that AT cannot do. He has scored more goals from open play in the EPL than AT, created more chances and assisted in more goals, yet Andros doesn't get as much stick.
Lamela has just turned 23 and after having his first real season, playing a total of 21 whole games (1955mins) after coming back form a run of injuries he had last season. He has only this season found a permanent home, after being alone in a new country with a hugely different culture, and been reunited with his family and bird. He has probably just learned to understand the lingo properly and still manages to speak a little bit of it.
Let us give him some time.

Did we really think that we would buy this boy for £30m and then sell him for a profit?

Last edited:
I'm not saying its an unwritten rule that being light and slow is a given for player not succeeding in the Prem. You obviously need other attributes to offset these physical challenges that Beckham utilized. What attribute do you see in Lamela's game which will offset these physical limitations ?

His main attributes are his work rate and closing down - i.e. the key ones that Pochettino looks for in his players.

His main attributes are his work rate and closing down - i.e. the key ones that Pochettino looks for in his players.
We have a ton of those type of players in the MLS. Work their arse off and close down on opponents at a rapid pace. Of course, they can do fock all with the ball. I dont consider a work-rate for an attacking winger as a key attribute and seems more like an excuse for Lamela to justify his poor return.

Actually he has 6 assists in the prem and 2 goals, so most of his stats are form the prem.
Lets compare his prem stats with Coutihno, who has played 387 more minutes in the prem than Lamela.

I'd say forget the fucking price tag. It's not his fault. Fuck knows why we paid £30m for him as he was realistically worth about £10m.
However, someone made a few bob. Blame Baldini for that. He allowed us to get ripped off because everyone knew we had the £ and Willian had betrayed us.

I watch Lamela closely each time he plays. He is always making himself available and gets into great positions and more often than not doesn't get the ball. When he gets the ball he gets closed down quick and more often than not by more than one player. If he gets the ball and there is a pass on, he will make it. However, in too many games he gets the ball and nothing is on.
He has made some wonderful passes for goals, something that AT cannot do. He has scored more goals from open play in the EPL than AT, created more chances and assisted in more goals, yet Andros doesn't get as much stick.
Lamela has just turned 23 and after having his first real season, playing a total of 21 whole games (1955mins) after coming back form a run of injuries he had last season. He has only this season found a permanent home, after being alone in a new country with a hugely different culture, and been reunited with his family and bird. He has probably just learned to understand the lingo properly and still manages to speak a little bit of it.

Did we really think that we would buy this boy for £30m and then sell him for a profit?
Fair point on Couthino. He does get alot of praise and those numbers are similar. Of course, it seems like Pool and Spurs are in similar positions from a goal production stand-point which could be rooted in both players not performing. Either way, your differ on his potential to the club and I hope you're right. I just dont see it and I'd rather look elsewhere next year for a more immediate impact.

We have a ton of those type of players in the MLS. Work their arse off and close down on opponents at a rapid pace. Of course, they can do fock all with the ball. I dont consider a work-rate for an attacking winger as a key attribute and seems more like an excuse for Lamela to justify his poor return.

Lamela would be the best player in MLS

Preach.

I agree he will be here another season but more so because we won't get close to what we want for him if we tried to sell. I am fine giving him another season but I have serious doubts if he is suited to this league and I would rather buy another wing/forward to peg as a new starter and then if Lamela finally comes good it's a great bonus. (Similar to buying Davies and then Rose has had a blinder of a season) However, I think it would be foolish to just stand pat and "hope" he magically finds it and comes good.

This is the pragmatic view, and one I share. I like the lad, I see potential and I hope he kicks on but I'm not banking on it. Definitely needs competition.

DeeGee 's comparison to Coutinho really puts things in perspective regarding what a price tag does to player judgment. Cheers for that.

Have you got the same comparison versus Townsend?.......may as well chuck in shots off target as well

Lamela
42 apps / 5 goals / 7 assists / 90 tackles / 94 crosses / 1303 passes / 54 shots / 81% shooting accuracy

Chadli
41 apps / 12 goals / 5 assists / 30 tackles / 61 crosses / 1118 passes / 61 shots / 78% shooting accuracy

Townsend
34 apps / 6 goals (all pens?) / 5 assists / 50 tackles / 157 crosses(!!) / 865 passes / 49 shots / 71% shooting accuracy

Lamela
42 apps / 5 goals / 7 assists / 90 tackles / 94 crosses / 1303 passes / 54 shots / 81% shooting accuracy

Chadli
41 apps / 12 goals / 5 assists / 30 tackles / 61 crosses / 1118 passes / 61 shots / 78% shooting accuracy

Townsend
34 apps / 6 goals (all pens?) / 5 assists / 50 tackles / 157 crosses(!!) / 865 passes / 49 shots / 71% shooting accuracy

This is why I don't particularly like stats... on paper, Lamella is clearly our best winger - but sometimes when watching him live, he can look absolutely clueless.

This is why I don't particularly like stats... on paper, Lamella is clearly our best winger - but sometimes when watching him live, he can look absolutely clueless.
1) No more-so than Chadli or Townsend, mind you!
2) I think it shows that people's judgements are slightly jaded due to his price tag. I'm not Lamela's biggest fan, but I don't feel his performances have been below that of Chadli or Townsend, though people would have you believe otherwise.

This is why the "eye-test" is also considered to be so unreliable. You need to combine both, as you can't see everything at the same time.

The Coutinho - Lamela stat comparison is quite encouraging, but having watched a lot of both players over the season the stats are a bit misleading. Coutinho is confident, composed on the ball, and keeps his head up. Lamela on the other hand just seems lost, fumbly, confused, when he gets the ball I sense a distinct lack of purpose, which I don't see in Coutinho. Those stats are undeniable though, so I'm not quite sure what to believe.

Those stats can't be ignored. If it was passing % etc you could argue it's because a player plays safe lateral/backwards passing etc. Or if it was distance covered you say he's running around like a headless chicken. BUT goals, assists, tackles, crosses, key passes etc can't be ignored or met with "this shows how useless stats can be". Those are game changing facets of play, he's clearly better and contributing more than his naysayers like to admit.

philippe_coutinho_v_erik_lamela_head_to_head_lamela_and_coutinho_124136.jpg

:kaboullol::lamelashock:

Back
Top Bottom