Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hard to say for sure. The PL is undoubtedly richer and offers more exposure, but in terms of the quality of the top teams? Juve are better than any English club, and Roma/Napoli wouldn't be out of place in the top 6 in England. It's probably a slight step down, but not by much.

It's like when a player leaves La Liga to come play in England.
It's a league that no one watches. Even in Italy the crowds just aren't there. Slow, slow pass it about. It's dull.

He also tweeted this in Spanish and then deleted it. Probably didn't want to get in trouble. Anyone fluent in Spanish mind translating? According to Dan Kilpatrick it's basically saying that his dog died months ago, that his brothers accident wasn't in a car as the Telegraph said and that he's annoyed that they're making stuff up.

C2-WC5qXEAEuAen.jpg:large

It's a league that no one watches. Even in Italy the crowds just aren't there. Slow, slow pass it about. It's dull.

People do watch it, just nobody in America (or presumably, the UK). Crowds aren't there in Italy because the stadiums are complete shit (they're nearly all owned by the municipal governments, and we all know how efficient Italian government officials are). For example, the San Siro's toilets are literally holes in the ground. Sight lines tend to be shitty, and in the case of Roma I've read that there's some sort of huge fan protest going on. And even in Serie A's heyday, stadiums were rarely full. Doubt the players care all that much anyway.

He also tweeted this in Spanish and then deleted it. Probably didn't want to get in trouble. Anyone fluent in Spanish mind translating? According to Dan Kilpatrick it's basically saying that his dog died months ago, that his brothers accident wasn't in a car as the Telegraph said and that he's annoyed that they're making stuff up.

C2-WC5qXEAEuAen.jpg:large
Not 100% fluent, I learned exclusively from speaking with family/neighbors/friends and never in class so my grammar is shit, but this is the gist of it:

"Clarified for the people who are worried, because I'm in Rome healing from an injury and not for non-football problems, like the death of my dog which was months ago or the accident with my brother that wasn't in a car. It bothers me to see people inventing these kinds of things, thanks to the people who support me, I hope I can return to the field soon"

Last edited:
Serie A is a step down, but one that would fit his abilities. He has always struggled with the tempo of the game in the PL, as he can rarely get the time and space to perform his magic. Serie A would probably be a level where he could shine regularly. In the PL he's a hard working, somewhat creative attacking midfielder, in Serie A he could be a superstar.
Yeah. It seems he wants a lot of time on the ball & to enjoy it.
But over here he has had to move the ball on quicker.
He would much prefer italy or spain where you get more time on the ball.
The culture, lifestyle & weather all suits him better too.

I would sell asap if we can recoup 25m for him.
But can't see anyone paying that much.

Shame he didn't go out & help us do it.

He did.

He was magnificent against United when we beat them 3-0, even better away at Stoke the week after. He was fantastic in the run in and even played significantly better than most of the others after the 1-1 draw with Albion. He set up Kane's opener at Stamford Bridge and was the only one breaking a sweat against Newcastle.

He did.

He was magnificent against United when we beat them 3-0, even better away at Stoke the week after. He was fantastic in the run in and even played significantly better than most of the others after the 1-1 draw with Albion. He set up Kane's opener at Stamford Bridge and was the only one breaking a sweat against Newcastle.
No. We didn't win the league.

People do watch it, just nobody in America (or presumably, the UK)

So who watches it? It's very dull. It used to send me to sleep in the '90s when Ch4 showed matches on a Sunday afternoon - and it was bent. I remember nodding off to James Richardson talking it up, and being roused from the sofa to cook the Sunday roast. Not for me I'm afraid.

So who watches it? It's very dull. It used to send me to sleep in the '90s when Ch4 showed matches on a Sunday afternoon - and it was bent. I remember nodding off to James Richardson talking it up, and being roused from the sofa to cook the Sunday roast. Not for me I'm afraid.

It's actually gotten a little bit better in my opinion since the days of falling asleep to 0-0's but I still wouldn't watch anything that's not a clash between top-6 sides.

South Americans? Maybe Asians? Some Middle Easterners? Serie A still gets a ton of money from tv deals (basically the only thing keeping them afloat, since remember they don't own their own stadiums so the money they get from tickets is laughably low), and given the size and instability of the Italian economy there is no way that's all domestic.

I know our countries make up like 30% of the global GDP between us, and we dominate global culture/fashion/movies/music, and we're responsible for the spread of representative democracy around the world, and we created the UN/IMF/World Bank, and the world's two most globally popular sports leagues are based in our country, and everyone speaks our language, and we lead the world's most powerful military alliance, and the big banks are all located in our capital cities....but still, we're not actually the entire world. Maybe one day...

It's actually gotten a little bit better in my opinion since the days of falling asleep to 0-0's but I still wouldn't watch anything that's not a clash between top-6 sides.

I think people feel the same way about foreign leagues in general tbf. Try to find any European game, even in the Premier League, that doesn't involve two top 6 teams and still gets a serious number of viewers overseas, with the exception of low-level teams who have a player from a large overseas country (I've met a surprising number of Sunderland, Everton, and even Fulham fans over here thanks to Jozy/Howard/Dempsey). What makes the Premier League "special" or "the best" is that there are 6 clubs with this type of foreign appeal (United, Liverpool, Woolwich, Chelsea, Spurs, and Man City, in that order). Mexico has 3 (America/Chivas/Tigres), Italy has 3 (Juve/Roma/Milan in America and Juve/Inter/Milan in Asia), Spain has 2 (Real/Barca), Germany/France have 1 each (Bayern and PSG).

Honestly, I think Serie A's problem is that their best teams declined right as twitter/fb/insta truly exploded. You will find Juve/Inter/Milan fans all over the world, bust most of them are poor as shit so it doesn't help those teams at all. Tottenham, Man City, and Chelsea, on the other hand, accumulated the vast majority of their fanbases from America, China, and Japan (the world's 3 largest economies) over the past decade, and unsurprisingly they are raking in the cash because of it.

EDIT: Spurs vs Chelsea may have gotten like 3 million viewers over here, but try to find a number anywhere near that high for Chelsea vs Hull or Spurs vs West Brom.

EDIT 2: Apologies if my post makes no sense, I am extremely drunk (about 400 milliliters of vodka, also, we measure our alcohol with metric, why is that? When did our alcohol industry become communist?) and am trying to avoid doing assignments by posting on random forums (reddit, alternatehistory.com, and 4chan /sp/, specifically).

Last edited:
So not just me then? We were in rented accommodation in those days, and I used to fall asleep on this horrible pink sofa and wake up with a headache. Perhaps that's not entirely the fault of Serie A.

So not just me then? We were in rented accommodation in those days, and I used to fall asleep on this horrible pink sofa and wake up with a headache. Perhaps that's not entirely the fault of Serie A.
I remember some chinese exchange students at my school convinced me to watch Juve-Inter with them on tv (I was talking shit about Serie A for whatever reason back in freshman year) and it was a lot of fun. The stadium was packed, there were these cool fan displays, the chinese inter kids sang this terrific Inter Milan fan song before hand* in stunningly good Italian. This guy named Mauricio something or other, who is like the Argentine Harry Kane (same age, same ability to score while looking like he has no clue what's going on), scored twice. Apparently he's famous for stealing his teammate's wife (which got him banned from the Argentina NT), and literally threatening his own team's fans by saying "I will bring 100 Argentines from my neighborhood and we will kill you". Sounds like a terrific league.

Although these are Italy's two biggest teams. Maybe FC Ravioli vs Atletico de Spaghetti isn't nearly as fun, which is why the league is struggling.

*Seriously, if there is one thing Italians understand, it's how to make anything sound/look nice. This is such a catchy song....

I remember some chinese exchange students at my school convinced me to watch Juve-Inter with them on tv (I was talking shit about Serie A for whatever reason back in freshman year) and it was a lot of fun. The stadium was packed, there were these cool fan displays, the chinese inter kids sang this terrific Inter Milan fan song before hand* in stunningly good Italian. This guy named Mauricio something or other, who is like the Argentine Harry Kane (same age, same ability to score while looking like he has no clue what's going on), scored twice. Apparently he's famous for stealing his teammate's wife (which got him banned from the Argentina NT), and literally threatening his own team's fans by saying "I will bring 100 Argentines from my neighborhood and we will kill you". Sounds like a terrific league.

Although these are Italy's two biggest teams. Maybe FC Ravioli vs Atletico de Spaghetti isn't nearly as fun, which is why the league is struggling.

*Seriously, if there is one thing Italians understand, it's how to make anything sound/look nice. This is such a catchy song....

Mauro Icardi. He married his best friend's wife and adopted his children. :levywhoa:

Back
Top Bottom