Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He seems a little passive at the moment, which is understandable in his situation.

Hopefully he goes balls out at some point and tears a full back apart, would do his confidence a world of good.

I'm not seeing £30m
No one is - whether people admit to it or not - not even flashes of it.

And we are not gonna see it in these Cup games or sub appearances.
His price tag is a different question all together, but for the reason that we bought him ... we are only gonna start to get glimpses of it when he STARTS premier league games and plays on the RIGHT side.

Until then, I'm just gonna wait, give the fella some time, and hope AVB knows what he's doing.

He's clearly playing like he's scared. He gets to the back line and his head automatically starts swiveling side to side. Someone needs to tell him we want him to succeed, have a go and take that line on. I wanna see more fearlessness in our squad so bad. A small piece of me dies every time I see a back pass this year, and at this rate there's no chance I make it past Christmas.

He's clearly playing like he's scared. He gets to the back line and his head automatically starts swiveling side to side. Someone needs to tell him we want him to succeed, have a go and take that line on. I wanna see more fearlessness in our squad so bad. A small piece of me dies every time I see a back pass this year, and at this rate there's no chance I make it past Christmas.

Maybe the fans can do some part of that.

I think some vocal support would be great for him. He's obviously feeling a bit down with low confidence, and I hope it's not a case of home sickness.

We can sing a song or something on match day - whether he plays or not - letting him know that the fans are there for him. Yeah, he probably won't understand it, but he'll hear his name and will eventually get the message from a teammate.

Which is the reason why I really want him to start against Hull. At home, he'll surely get some reception from the fans. It's the perfect time for him.

Edit:
Maybe the 1882 could do some of this magic when we play Hull in the league cup.

Last edited:
Maybe the fans can do some part of that.

I think some vocal support would be great for him. He's obviously feeling a bit down with low confidence, and I hope it's not a case of home sickness.

We can sing a song or something on match day - whether he plays or not - letting him know that the fans are there for him. Yeah, he probably won't understand it, but he'll hear his name and will eventually get the message from a teammate.

Which is the reason why I really want him to start against Hull. At home, he'll surely get some reception from the fans. It's the perfect time for him.

Edit:
Maybe the 1882 could do some of this magic when we play Hull in the league cup.

I'd very much like to see this. We've all seen the videos, we know what this guy can do. Get him into it, make him proud to wear the shirt instead of clearly dreading it at the moment.

I'm confident in his ability. To be fair he played okay/fairly well in his first few appearances, only since the shit pitch at Anzi has he looked a little dejected.
I was kind of hoping that he wouldn't get subbed off like he did as I felt that could have made it worse. He's 21 yrs old, playing in England with teammates who he cannot understand etc I'm willing to wait a few years before discussing whether the price was worth it.
He needs an arm round him, some encouragement and time. I like the idea of the chants ^. Is he on any social media? Perhaps we can send some mass positivity messages.

We obviously overpaid for him at 30m but we needed a quality winger and didn't expect what townshend has done. If we keep playing lamela on the left and giving him appearances in Europa league he'll never be worth anything remotely near the fee we paid.

Yeah, and those of you that are on twitter and do want to send Lamela some support via social media ... just tweet Brian and ask him to convey the messages to his brother. I don't know, but maybe you guys can get a hash-tag also running after those tweets, like #TellErik or #SupportForLamela or whatever...

But...
My only problem with social media is that while people could send support that route too, they can just as easily do the opposite. Just look at this dick ...
At least, during a game ... the majority of the fans will be on the same page when singing.
As fans, imo our literal voice is our best asset. And thus it is the best way to show any support, whether towards a player like Lamela or a cause like the Yid word.

Last edited:
From Boys of White Hart Lane by Martin Cloake and Adam Powley

Ricky Villa on adjusting to England:
“’It was very hard for us because we had very little English. Everything was new; it was a really difficult time… the big, big problem was the language. I like to talk with people and now I could only talk with my wife and Ossie. It was very, very difficult. I believe if I hadn’t come with Ossie I would have left the country because if you are not happy off the pitch it is no good for playing good football. We had to really fight to stay in England, and it was not easy I can tell you. Imagine if you moved to Argentina; you have to know the people, the customs, the food, you can’t watch TV, you can’t read the paper. It’s very hard—for at least six months you are on a different planet.’”

“Quite how isolated Ricky felt becomes clear when he talks about the day he and Ossie were paraded at White Hart Lane amid an unprecedented scrum of press and thousands of fans. ‘It was very difficult day because people wanted to meet us and say ‘Hello, how are you?’ and we can’t answer even the simple questions,’ says Ricky. ‘I felt very sorry and really very depressed. When I arrived at my house after this happened, I said, ‘Oh I am a stupid person, I can’t talk, I can’t say anything’. I felt very depressed; not depressed—unhappy. Because if you can see the faces of the people but you cannot say anything to them, you feel really unhappy.”

“It was a sobering defeat, one which prompted an upsurge in press speculation about whether the Argentineans would be able to handle the English game. And inevitably, questions were asked about whether the foreigners would ‘fancy it’ in the English winter.”

“Despite the trials of the first season, Ricky and Ossie bedded in, and the team finished in a respectable mid-table position to consolidate their return to the top flight. ‘We were really happy because we finished in the middle of the table, we stayed in the top division,’ says Ricky. ‘We felt comfortable after the season finished—we had signed for three years, and we talked and said we need to prove our quality as players. The first year was the bad one. The second year was easy.’”

Ricky was 26 and had already won a world cup by the time he came to Tottenham so significantly more experienced in life and football than Lamela and it still took him a year to feel comfortable. These guys aren’t just robots or the amount of money we spent on them. Lamela is a human being and need to time to adapt and adjust.

Those who call for support have hit the nail on the head. I can't stop comparing how Holtby was when he joined. He got a lot of support, and was well liked, and he's looking like a player who'll go places now. Bale was absolutely dire when he first started. Stick behind a player, and you'll see them transform.

There were chants for Eriksen right away, but nothing for Lamela. Get behind the lad. You can see his first touch is quality. All he needs is backing and some patience. People need to stop looking at the price tag for everything. Take a look at what Bale is going through at Madrid now, with some TV shows making him out to be forest gump! We know he's a class player, but the price tag and a tough initial adapting session is getting people on his back. We're doing what Madrid is doing to Bale/did to Modric. Give the lad time, and lets not behave the same way as those spoilt Madrid fans.

Back
Top Bottom