Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Did anybody else think, when Townsend got injured, that this was the chance for Lamela to seize the moment?
I did ...

Oh well, his chance will come soon (although hopefully not due to someone's injury).

BTW,
Lamela's brother Brian, came to WHL all away from Argentina to watch Lamela play.
Maybe he thought Lamela was gonna get his first start?

A bit sad for him, but a bit strange too in that there may have been a case of mis-communication between them, as he should've knew beforehand if Lamela was gonna start or not. But then again, maybe Brian just expected Lamela to come on as a sub, but circumstances did not let it be. Maybe if Brian stays long enough, he might get to see Lamela play against Hull in the CC.
I thought about that myself and i'm pretty sure if he got a chance like this he would manage to make the most of it. Didn't Bale (who was considered a flop at that time) make his break in the team after Benny got injured? He did say that he needs time to adapt to the Premier League, but in his mind he is surely disappointed that he is being benched.
I do hope that he will manage to make his mark soon, a good showing in the League Cup game would help as he needs a morale boosting performance.

Did anybody else think, when Townsend got injured, that this was the chance for Lamela to seize the moment?
I did ...

Oh well, his chance will come soon (although hopefully not due to someone's injury).

BTW,
Lamela's brother Brian, came to WHL all away from Argentina to watch Lamela play.
Maybe he thought Lamela was gonna get his first start?

A bit sad for him, but a bit strange too in that there may have been a case of mis-communication between them, as he should've knew beforehand if Lamela was gonna start or not. But then again, maybe Brian just expected Lamela to come on as a sub, but circumstances did not let it be. Maybe if Brian stays long enough, he might get to see Lamela play against Hull in the CC.
Pretty sure brian is in London until December or January if I correctly understood his tweets. Would be great if true. Imagine it would help his morale because it's gotta be so hard moving to a country where you don't know the language and hardly anyone knows yours

AVB obviously didn't want to rush Lamela and put him on with 20 minutes to go in such a bad atmosphere, would have probably set the lad's confidence back a lot
Confidence is the word here, it can make a huge difference in a player's game. It makes me sad to say this, but look at the way Ramsey is playing this season for the scum and compare him to the season before. A totally different kind of player. I think Andre knows what he is doing with the lad, we just need to be patient.

Obviously going to start in the league cup against Hull, but do you reckon he should start in the league sometime soon? I know Townsend won't be dropped (too right as well) but he isn't going to get used to the premier league on the bench.

As long as he's a starter in all our cup games and frequently comes off the bench in PL that should be enough game time for him to adapt.

Still feel he's more likely to make an impact as a sub than Chadli or Siggy.

Isn't it good to have the kind of problem where we can choose between so many quality players and be able to bring in a quality player like Lamela slowly so he's able to adapt to Premier League football. I'm looking forward to seeing him play on Wednesday, I have a feeling he's going to play a stormer.

Confidence is the word here, it can make a huge difference in a player's game. It makes me sad to say this, but look at the way Ramsey is playing this season for the scum and compare him to the season before. A totally different kind of player. I think Andre knows what he is doing with the lad, we just need to be patient.
Andre's man management is very, I mean just look at Bale 2011-12 and 2012-23, a very good player to a €100m player. Agree on Ramsey point but wasn't it awful good seeing him robbed on the edge of his own box and then Dortmund scored immediately :adegrin2:

Isn't it good to have the kind of problem where we can choose between so many quality players and be able to bring in a quality player like Lamela slowly so he's able to adapt to Premier League football. I'm looking forward to seeing him play on Wednesday, I have a feeling he's going to play a stormer.
You need to change your avatar sir... A RED COCKEREL! that's blasphemous

Ramsey came back from his leg break right at the end of the 2010/2011 season, he was shit for the whole of the 2011/2012 season but Wenger stuck with him regardless, he was also shit for the first half of last season but when he got his mojo back he was(is) terrific BUT we don't have endless games to play Lamele as we've got other options (Woolwich really didn't) and even though he's our record buy he needs to step it up sooner rather then later.

i agree completely isnt this the same lad who allegedly was crying when he got told he was being sold by roma?

i agree completely isnt this the same lad who allegedly was crying when he got told he was being sold by roma?
Exactly. I am not sure how well has integrated in the team (the fact that he doesn't know English may be a reason too) and this might also affect him. This is where his team mates should support him, not only the coach. I'm actually not concerned about this though, as we have some top notch lads in the squad.

Exactly. I am not sure how well has integrated in the team (the fact that he doesn't know English may be a reason too) and this might also affect him. This is where his team mates should support him, not only the coach. I'm actually not concerned about this though, as we have some top notch lads in the squad.
AVB knows the knives are sharpening for him already cos of being relatively unknown and a big price tag so think hes doing the right thing,he might turn out shit and a waste of money though but guess only time will tell

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas believes the language barrier is preventing club-record signing Erik Lamela from hitting the ground running at White Hart Lane.

The 21-year-old Argentina international, signed from Roma in the summer for a fee believed to be close to £30million, has featured only sparingly for Spurs and has yet to be handed a start in the Barclays Premier League.

Lamela was an unused substitute in Sunday's 1-0 win over Hull and the former River Plate forward has had to make do with looking to have an impact in Europa League ties.

He is yet to score his first goal for the club and, with limited game time the summer signing has not had the immediate impact many supporters would have expected.

But when asked if the fee paid for Lamela meant there was pressure to pick him, Villas-Boas replied: "Not really, no.

"We have been speaking a lot with him. I think getting acquainted to the Premier League is important but he doesn't know the language. (Roberto) Soldado had some knowledge of the language before (he came) so it was a little bit easier for him.

"With Erik it was a little bit more difficult but we have given him massive, massive help and his family arrived this week.

"He knows he isn't producing half of what he can produce but he understands the situation now is that he has to compete for his place."

Back
Top Bottom