2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't help but feel gutted but an overall sense of pride.

Not only did we exceed expectations but our Spurs boys put in such a shift. You had Kane get us off to a great start with the 90th minute winner. He then got a hattrick in the second game. All of our boys scoring penalties in the round of 16 with Eric Dier netting the winner. Dele Alli scoring the goal that sealed our place into the semi final and then arguably our best player of the tournament opening the scoring in the semi final.

'It's coming home' meant more than bringing the trophy back to England. We got the connection back between players and fans. They gave us something to be proud about. Just look at the scenes when Trippier opened the scoring last night. I haven't seen anything like that since Euro 2004. We can thank Gareth Southgate and this young bunch of players for that. The youngest team in the competition putting their bodies on the line at times to try and make this country proud and they succeeded. They won in my eyes.

I can't even fault any player. None of them deserve criticism. Pickford was excellent. Trippier was great. Walker, Stones and Maguire were lions. Youngs set pieces were excellent. Henderson was everywhere. Dele and Lingard ran their fucking hearts out. Sterling worked hard and Kane scored our goals. Even Loftus-Cheek, Rose, Rashford etc played their part.

Proud of every single one of them. Onwards and upwards.

Eventually we will phase out the likes of Welbeck, Vardy, Cahill, Young etc. and hopefully some of the younger players can come in really give Southgate something more to think about. The likes of Sancho, Cook, Winks, Lascelles, Walker-Peters etc. who all personify Southgates England.

Thanks Southgate and thank you England for making us all feel connected once more. You gave us one hell of a summer to be proud of.

Sterling was by far the worst tho from about 55 minutes to 75 he was so so bad couldn't even do the basics , I agree he made an impact in the first half but lets face it a player whose that bad with the ball at his feet is always going to deservedly get strong critism
If that's your view then why are you not digging out Kane? Sterling was our best player in the first half.

I'm only 2nd guessing but I'm assuming that the plan was to always change Sterling for Rashford. I'm saying this because last night he was the furthest man forward (not dropping deep as in previous games) i'm guessing that the plan was for him sprint, run behind, cause their defence problems etc with the aim of us scoring, being fouled and getting pen, corners or free kicks in dangerous areas which has been a strength of us all tournament. Basically to run himself into the ground, for us to capitalise with a couple of goals and then try to control the remainder of the game (maybe even go on the counter once he came off). We certainly were pushing for a 2nd goal immediately after we had scored.

Deluded cunt. Salah and Mane and Firminho were responsible for Liverpool getting to the CL final and a the Croatia midfield for them getting to the final.

I know he's a cunt but really hope Mbappe tears Lovren a new one in the final.

Oh and wait until he turns up at our new stadium on the 15th September, he's going to cop some shit!

Can't help but feel gutted but an overall sense of pride.

Not only did we exceed expectations but our Spurs boys put in such a shift. You had Kane get us off to a great start with the 90th minute winner. He then got a hattrick in the second game. All of our boys scoring penalties in the round of 16 with Eric Dier netting the winner. Dele Alli scoring the goal that sealed our place into the semi final and then arguably our best player of the tournament opening the scoring in the semi final.

'It's coming home' meant more than bringing the trophy back to England. We got the connection back between players and fans. They gave us something to be proud about. Just look at the scenes when Trippier opened the scoring last night. I haven't seen anything like that since Euro 2004. We can thank Gareth Southgate and this young bunch of players for that. The youngest team in the competition putting their bodies on the line at times to try and make this country proud and they succeeded. They won in my eyes.

I can't even fault any player. None of them deserve criticism. Pickford was excellent. Trippier was great. Walker, Stones and Maguire were lions. Youngs set pieces were excellent. Henderson was everywhere. Dele and Lingard ran their fucking hearts out. Sterling worked hard and Kane scored our goals. Even Loftus-Cheek, Rose, Rashford etc played their part.

Proud of every single one of them. Onwards and upwards.

Eventually we will phase out the likes of Welbeck, Vardy, Cahill, Young etc. and hopefully some of the younger players can come in really give Southgate something more to think about. The likes of Sancho, Cook, Winks, Lascelles, Walker-Peters etc. who all personify Southgates England.

Thanks Southgate and thank you England for making us all feel connected once more. You gave us one hell of a summer to be proud of.

This. Just this.
My fave post from Totti Totti in all of time. Thanks man

You've constantly claimed Sterling has been excellent this tournament in this imaginary #10 role he's been playing (not even true) when in reality he's been a player short of confidence and a dead end to anything remotely attacking or creative. 0 goals, 0 assists, fuck all contribution elsewhere. You were wrong - give over.

It’s just not enough to work hard and to have pace

Sterling, Lingaard and Henderson just not good enough

Rose came on too late for Young. It was obvious to me that Young did not have the pace to deal with their right back. Dele did well fending off Modric for the first half but then when Young tired out Dele kept dropping deeper and deeper. I just don't get how the coaches and Gareth didn't see that and make a change sooner as I feel it would have given us more bite. :pochsulk:
I think Young has been poor all tournament, our worst player by quite some margin.

We'll never know what goes on behind the 90mins though, maybe Rose just wasn't mentally right? Doubt we'll ever know. But every time Rose played we looked better, apart from last night though it has to be said, his first 5 mins he looked good but then he was struggling also with their RB.

I guess what I would have liked to see was an attempt to keep more possession in the midfield, from about 50 mins in I became worried Modric and Rakitic had so much of the ball.

I started getting concerned at the amount of back passes to Pickford and too many balls getting lumped forward as it gave them confidence
They were terrified of us initially

If that's your view then why are you not digging out Kane? Sterling was our best player in the first half.

I'm only 2nd guessing but I'm assuming that the plan was to always change Sterling for Rashford. I'm saying this because last night he was the furthest man forward (not dropping deep as in previous games) i'm guessing that the plan was for him sprint, run behind, cause their defence problems etc with the aim of us scoring, being fouled and getting pen, corners or free kicks in dangerous areas which has been a strength of us all tournament. Basically to run himself into the ground, for us to capitalise with a couple of goals and then try to control the remainder of the game (maybe even go on the counter once he came off). We certainly were pushing for a 2nd goal immediately after we had scored.

Why would I dig out England's best player by a country mile ? Who's won the golden boot ?

I respect your opinion that Sterling played his part but I find it odd you are so keen to deflect any criticism away from him , I reckon you'd take a bullet for him !

Southgate's game management is very poor.
There is an argument for this but given the personnel available to him on the bench and where the problems you were causing us, it's really hard to see what he could do. Thought bringing in Dier was the right call as too was Rose, maybe he could have done both sooner rather than later. But the problem you posed us was still the same and both Rose and Dier really didn't make any material changes to our performance.

I think we need to go back to a 4-2-3-1 for the next few matches, perhaps a 3-4-3 against suitable opponents.

The former formation should help us get the best out of our two best players, Dele and Kane.

Against Switzerland

Pickford
Walker - Maguire - Stones - Rose
Dier - Winks
Rashford - Dele - Sessegnon
Kane

I’ll go with that but haven’t we got anyone better than Stones?
He’s always been vastly overrated and was culpable for their winner

Back
Top Bottom