2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 14th June - 15th July

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Southgate's game management is very poor.

I don't think Croatia's was any better yesterday.

You had the game for the taking in 90 minutes and your manager failed to make any subs. Though it won't be talked about and probably shouldn't as you still took the game to extra time, got your fresh legs on and won the game.

But yeah. Southgate's subs yesterday didn't help our cause. Rashford for Sterling did nothing. I can only imagine the decision was to try and improve the out ball option but the problem was actually getting the ball to that player in the first place. Dier for Henderson was also a strange substitute because Henderson needed help in there, not to be replaced. Dele and/or Lingard should have come off in the second half.

I think we could all agree that Southgates biggest problem is his inability to have any influence during the game when it comes tactical or personnel switches and his subs come far too late at times. But he's also set us up excellently for the start of games this tournament and our strong set piece play has been a real highlight.

Plus, it wasn't Southgates fault that we didn't put the game to bed within the opening 30 minutes.

Why would I dig out England's best player by a country mile ? Who's won the golden boot ?

I respect your opinion that Sterling played his part but I find it odd you are so keen to deflect any criticism away from him , I reckon you'd take a bullet for him !
I'm specifically talking about the game last night, all my posts have been relating to the game last night. So with this context, if you want to call out Sterling why not call out Kane? Kane worked his arse off last night but his performance wasn't that great was it?

I started getting concerned at the amount of back passes to Pickford and too many balls getting lumped forward as it gave them confidence
They were terrified of us initially

We were nervous when we played out because they pressed well so we went long and they won it back easily and built again , we lack a deep lying playmaker that can pull the strings find the spaces to receive the ball link defence and attack and create danger from areas off the pitch that Modric can , Englands progress will be short-lived if we don't learn to control the midfield.

Deluded cunt. Salah and Mane and Firminho were responsible for Liverpool getting to the CL final and a the Croatia midfield for them getting to the final.

I know he's a cunt but really hope Mbappe tears Lovren a new one in the final.

Oh and wait until he turns up at our new stadium on the 15th September, he's going to cop some shit!

Yeah Hendo captained a side to a 1 goal victory in a semi after the ref bottled it 5 times by not giving penalties after having a five goal lead ! I hope Salah gets broken early doors then we'll see what Hendo is really all about then ie fuck all

Last edited:
Rose came on too late for Young. It was obvious to me that Young did not have the pace to deal with their right back. Dele did well fending off Modric for the first half but then when Young tired out Dele kept dropping deeper and deeper. I just don't get how the coaches and Gareth didn't see that and make a change sooner as I feel it would have given us more bite. :pochsulk:

Rose should have started

Never rated Young

Woke up this morning sick to the pit of my stomach, felt far worse than I did after our loss to Juve.

So proud of those lads. Something to believe in again.

I felt a bit down earlier today but it took me a while to get over that Juve game

Well done to the team. Personally think we should be happy with this World Cup, let’s be honest the current England team technically has a lot of issues compared to previous teams.

Our midfield is average, our most creative player is probably Kane passing wise and him dropping deep all the time playing the Eriksen role is not ideal as it impacts his forward game.

Despite this they played as well as they could, they formed a sum of their parts. Compared to the teams of Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Terry etc, genuine world class players in their time it’s alot better in terms of team ethic. This team has one world class player in Kane and yesterday we played a team with at least 3 world class midfielders and did well.

I think Young has been poor all tournament, our worst player by quite some margin.

We'll never know what goes on behind the 90mins though, maybe Rose just wasn't mentally right? Doubt we'll ever know. But every time Rose played we looked better, apart from last night though it has to be said, his first 5 mins he looked good but then he was struggling also with their RB.
His set pieces have been okay but I think his 33 year old legs were starting to show which is a shame as he's had a decent season with UTD

I'm specifically talking about the game last night, all my posts have been relating to the game last night. So with this context, if you want to call out Sterling why not call out Kane? Kane worked his arse off last night but his performance wasn't that great was it?

I think the key differentiator is that Kane was essentially played out of position in order to accommodate the role that Sterling occupied.

If people hold such resentment; thats your reason why IMO.

I don't think Croatia's was any better yesterday.

You had the game for the taking in 90 minutes and your manager failed to make any subs. Though it won't be talked about and probably shouldn't as you still took the game to extra time, got your fresh legs on and won the game.

But yeah. Southgate's subs yesterday didn't help our cause. Rashford for Sterling did nothing. I can only imagine the decision was to try and improve the out ball option but the problem was actually getting the ball to that player in the first place. Dier for Henderson was also a strange substitute because Henderson needed help in there, not to be replaced. Dele and/or Lingard should have come off in the second half.

I think we could all agree that Southgates biggest problem is his inability to have any influence during the game when it comes tactical or personnel switches and his subs come far too late at times. But he's also set us up excellently for the start of games this tournament and our strong set piece play has been a real highlight.

Plus, it wasn't Southgates fault that we didn't put the game to bed within the opening 30 minutes.
Really mate? You had 1 shot on goal and it was that Trippier goal?
I can remember great chance by Kane and nothing else from England. Couple of shots from outside the box and that's it.
About Southgate... I didn't get why he subbed Sterling, he was one player we couldn't deal with. Dier for Henderson was just weird.
Maybe he hasn't much options on the bench, but he was watching 2nd half where England was poor and did nothing do change that.

Will he learn anything though? We'll have another load of meaningless friendlies and easy qualifying games before the next tournament.
International football is not the place to be learning your trade
Well, it's either that or FM?

Unless you think he should go into club management for a few years which could indeed be useful

Rose should have started

Never rated Young
I think the worry is that as Rose has not had much game time he would have been a bit rusty whereas Young although looked knackered was still doing an okay job. Rose for either the second half or at least final 30 when you need someone who can get back fast enough to defend but also bomb forward to either creat chances or draw fouls.
Probably the most fouled left back in the prem.

Who was then and why?

Trippier for getting a shot on target

My man of the match and I hope he keeps this up for us next season

His crosses and corners were excellent and I didn’t rate him when he first joined us but delighted now

His set pieces have been okay but I think his 33 year old legs were starting to show which is a shame as he's had a decent season with UTD
Given other options he was right to be selected in the squad for sure. Just would have liked to have seen Rose start a game, I don't think this is bias as he's Spurs, just saw Young really struggle when on the ball and offer nothing in our build up.

I remember the 4-1 drubbing at Wembley where a fit Harry tore him a new one

He’s a dirty, sly, wanker but he’s at the right club

Exactly Baz , I was thinking about that game last night.

But if the ref that day had allowed the cunt to kick and foul Harry all over the Wembley pitch to his heart's content, I doubt we would have won 4-1.

Back
Top Bottom